A modest idea...

B

Blitzwing

After reading throught the Transformers wiki, I really think we should be less strict when it come to article writting.

One problem the wiki have is that we try to write our article like we were some serious instutuion, but the occasional bit of POV and overblown narrative (Take the Elder Shrooboid article for example,) make it very hard to take us seriously.

The Transformers wiki doesn't have that problem, their page about the Mountain Dew Robot is a good example of this, it's full of informal writting and jokes, and yet, it probably read a lot better than the afro-mentioned Elder Shrooboid article, the jokes on the Moutain Dew robot page don't get in the way of having information about the character, actually, they compliment in making the article more interresing to read.

I didn't bring this up on the proposal page because I wanted to have a good discussion and it would probably be defeated in voting. (Darn you Son Of Sun!)

Si, do you think we should maybe less strict on informal writting?

(BTW: If you post here only to bring up petty rivalry and unfunny Soviet/ Corn Flakes joke, I'd rather have no post at all.)

What part of "Mario Encyclopedia" do you not understand? We are about writing down the facts in a formal manner, not writing down some worthless jokes. >.>

I think all wikis should write more in that kind of style, the seriousness and lack of humor is why I hate most wikis.

The reason this wiki is so popular is because it is well-written. The "Transformers" wiki you bring up is probably much less popular because of this style of writting. Sir Grodus and Son of Suns have done an excellent job of keeping this as encyclopedic as possible. If we suddenly became so lenient, we would probably lose an entire level of how well our writing is.

Pretty much, I remeber some Donkey Kong enemie articles used to be like that, untill the content in the thumbs were gone

Pokemon DP said:
What part of "Mario Encyclopedia" do you not understand? We are about writing down the facts in a formal manner, not writing down some worthless jokes. >.>

You didn't actually read any of the Transformers wik article, I suppose?

Like they are saying help page, the NPOV policy on Wikipedia, which orriginal rightfully for removing bias in any article, is now morphed and stretched out to make any article humorless and boring. I don't say we shouldn't be serious, I say we are simply trying too hard ot be serious. As the Transformers Wiki help page state, the jokes should not get in the way of information.

Glowsquid said:
Pokemon DP said:

You didn't actually read any of the Transformers wik article, I suppose?

Like they are saying help page, the NPOV policy on Wikipedia, which orriginal rightfully for removing bias in any article, is now morphed and stretched out to make any article humorless and boring. I don't say we shouldn't be serious, I say we are simply trying too hard ot be serious. As the Transformers Wiki help page state, the jokes should not get in the way of information.

I found NO info on that page. It was such a mess. >.> <.<

ChaosNinji said:
The reason this wiki is so popular is because it is well-written. The "Transformers" wiki you bring up is probably much less popular because of this style of writting. Sir Grodus and Son of Suns have done an excellent job of keeping this as encyclopedic as possible. If we suddenly became so lenient, we would probably lose an entire level of how well our writing is.

Meh, I wouldn't say our article quality is that "excellent", not trying to bash SOn of SUn, but when I read an article written by him, I have the impression of reading some novellisation, it just try too hard to make the event seem epic. Sir Grodus is slighty better on this kind of thing, thought.

Glowsquid said:
ChaosNinji said:

Meh, I wouldn't say our article quality is that "excellent", not trying to bash SOn of SUn, but when I read an article written by him, I have the impression of reading some novellisation, it just try too hard to make the event seem epic. Sir Grodus is slighty better on this kind of thing, thought.
That's the point! We're not trying to make it seem epic! We're trying to present information in a way that anyone could understand it. If you put "Lol n00b got lost" under the picture of the Purple Yoshi in an article, people would deem us unencyclopedic.

ChaosNinji said:
Glowsquid said:
ChaosNinji said:

That's the point! We're not trying to make it seem epic! We're trying to present information in a way that anyone could understand it. If you put "Lol n00b got lost" under the picture of the Purple Yoshi in an article, people would deem us unencyclopedic.

Meh, if the Elder Shrooboid isn't trying to make the battle between him and Mario seem epic and awesome and all, I reall don't know what writitng is trying to be epic.

"During the battle, the Elder Shrooboid used a variety of attacks against the four Mario Bros. of past and present. First, the Elder Shrooboid would trap Mario and Luigi in crystals (like the Shroids) and run off to grab a heavy metallic ball on a chain. As the Mario Bros. jumped to break their crystal imprisonments, the Elder Shrooboid would spin the ball and chain towards the heroes. Fortunately, all the spinning would cause the Shrooboid to get dizzy, drop the ball, and fall down. However, the Elder Shrooboid would soon stand up, knock the ball into one Mario brother then lunge head first into the other Mario brother. "

See? The description is overblown, it's full of POV, and all around, it look like a piece of nocelization describing the fight between the "Heroic" Plumber and the "Almighty" Shroob, I don't think thisk ind of writitng is better.

I don't think it'd be a good idea. The minute you let people write articles like this, the wiki will be a mario uncyclopedia in no-time.

Maka said:
I don't think it'd be a good idea. The minute you let people write articles like this, the wiki will be a mario uncyclopedia in no-time.

All it's doing is giving a more insightful look into the battle strategy.

Personally, I think it's great. It helped me beat the 'roid.

Well, we should be a little bit less strict, but no words like "probably", "perhaps" or "of course".

[ insert petty rivalry and unfunny Soviet/ Corn Flakes joke here ]

Back