Serious discussion about serious topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the MarioWiki mostly comprises of young adults and thus comprises of topics like "I have a new avatar/sig in case you didn't notice, let's have a thread for that for some reason." That does not bother me. What bothers me is that this makes it very hard to have serious discussions beyond elections and such. I'm 12 but very intellectual and have put much reading into the JFK assassination (I'm in the anti-conspiracy camp, cause it's the right one), the Roman Empire, and have a vast amount of factoids in my head, and have a very high IQ and reading level. That doesn't mean I hate this forum. This place is often lighthearted and friendly, which is always good. This is just a thought of mine, not an actual suggestion or anything.
 

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Eh, I suppose this would be interesting...

But if you really want to talk about stuff like this, you could just go to a forum about that particular topic. No offense or anything.

And personally I think that people could easily contribute to a serious thread if need be, I mean we had a 9/11 thread that was fine.
 

Guiliant

Shine Sprite
I remember we once tried to get a politics forum opened. But this forum is communistic. :posh:
 

Garlic Man

Name-change free since 2018
So tell me


Did the Romans do 9/11?
 

Puddin

eat the rich
I've said things like this before but: it's not our fault if you came to a Mario forum expecting to have intellectual discussions about JFK conspiracy theories and the Roman empire.

Nintendo64Fan said:
I'm 12 but very intellectual
Shut up.
 

Garlic Man

Name-change free since 2018
Nintendo64Fan said:
This place is often lighthearted and friendly, which is always good.
Good, because it's my job to make sure it's bitter and sad.
 

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
Welcome to the Forums.
Actually, most users here are 12-15 year olds, so the "young adults" doesn't really make sense.
While the majority of this Forums are 12-15 year olds, male, and American, I belong to the elite (19-24 year olds, female, European).

In case you'd pick it up wrong, "majority" means "most people", while "elite" means "a few of the people".
 

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
@OP: Arrogant, condescending and self-righteous brats like you are why people tend to avoid discussing "serious topics" on here.

Also, we discuss politics, one of the most important and serious topics of our society; what more do you want?
 

Annie Eilenberg

Sera Island's #1 Alchemist
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
YamiHoshi.nl said:
Welcome to the Forums.
Actually, most users here are 12-15 year olds, so the "young adults" doesn't really make sense.
While the majority of this Forums are 12-15 year olds, male, and American, I belong to the elite (19-24 year olds, female, European).

In case you'd pick it up wrong, "majority" means "most people", while "elite" means "a few of the people".
But that's not what "elite" means. >_>
 

Vellidragon

Monty Mole
YamiHoshi.nl said:
In case you'd pick it up wrong, "majority" means "most people", while "elite" means "a few of the people".
I don't know if the Dutch translation of "elite" is usually interpreted like that, but as pointed out above, it really doesn't mean that in English, sorry.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/elite
It's derived from a word meaning "chosen" or "elected" and tends to refer to a group of people who are superior at something (or of superior status in general). While those tend to be only a few of the people, it still also means those few are better than the rest. The word you're looking for, I believe, is "minority". Sorry, just wanted to clear this up, no offense intended :<
 

Puddin

eat the rich
Yes I think elite means a small amount of people who are better than the rest.
 

YamiHoshi

Nintendo 3DS Developer
>>Vellidragon
Ah, that's the word: Minority.
I couldn't get on that word, while having people surrounded, dialing at the same time.
 

QuizmoManiac

a rhinestone cowboy
Oh, god, please let this guy stay.
Come on buddy I'm sure we'll have some fun.
 
Remilia Bloody Scarlet said:
@OP: Arrogant, condescending and self-righteous brats like you are why people tend to avoid discussing "serious topics"
I'm perfectly fine with the discussion around here, I'm not asking for everyone to get serious. It was just a thought, I'm not some bitter person who only wants to be in serious discussion. And you simply decide to call me a brat because of one post?
 

Guiliant

Shine Sprite
This thread in a nut shell (Not only blaming TC):


:roll:
 

QuizmoManiac

a rhinestone cowboy
PandaSoul said:
Applejack said:
Oh, god, please let this guy stay.
Come on buddy I'm sure we'll have some fun.
Yeah. We don't want another person leaving...
No, I just want to laugh at this guy a bit.
Here's my opinion of this:
I may be a dumbass, but at least I'm not that guy.
 
Applejack said:
PandaSoul said:
Applejack said:
Oh, god, please let this guy stay.
Come on buddy I'm sure we'll have some fun.
Yeah. We don't want another person leaving...
No, I just want to laugh at this guy a bit.
Here's my opinion of this:
I may be a dumbass, but at least I'm not that guy.
XD (Yes, I know who you're talking about)
 

Puddin

eat the rich
I thought bragging required something to brag about. Sorry, nothing in the OP was impressive.
 

QuizmoManiac

a rhinestone cowboy
Nintendo64Fan said:
Applejack said:
PandaSoul said:
Applejack said:
Oh, god, please let this guy stay.
Come on buddy I'm sure we'll have some fun.
Yeah. We don't want another person leaving...
No, I just want to laugh at this guy a bit.
Here's my opinion of this:
I may be a dumbass, but at least I'm not that guy.
XD (Yes, I know who you're talking about)
But I was talking about you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top