RIP, REM

Lily x

Goodbye
Yep, they split yesterday, sad to see that one of my fave bands have ended :(.

And yet you post the absolute worst song they've ever composed, the one song the band themselves utterly despised.

why

Honestly, tho, it's a shame they've broken up, but I'm happy they've acknowledged when to call it quits. I'll always look fondly on everything they did in the 80s.

Lily--I love that song, don't listen to the haters!
Also, I'm sad they split up. I like REM and I grew up in the 90s listening to them as a little kid :) Such a nostalgic music group for me!

My French teacher told me, I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! But as noone else knew who they were we listened to eveybody hurts. I like SHP- its the song that made my parents together, it hurts if you say you hate it to me.

Link said:
I like SHP- its the song that made my parents together, it hurts if you say you hate it to me.
You do realize "Shiny Happy People" is about the Chinese communist dictatorship, right?

But I mean you can like it if you want, it just seems weird to use that one of all songs as a tribute to them when the band really hates it. Michael Stipe has said that "Country Feedback" is his favourite of their songs. Actually...

Shiny Happy People and Losing My Religion are the 2 REM songs that I really like (they were the ones I listened to the most as a young child). And they are both now on my iPod :P

But it is sad to see them split up after so many years! :-\

IKR, first white stripes now REM, DAMOOONNNN, IF YOU DARE GIVE UP ON BLUR OR GORILLAZ I WILL KICK YOUR ASS.

Re: RIP, R.E.M.

R.E.M. were brilliant, so it's sad to see them split up.

Remilia Bloody Scarlet said:
And yet you post the absolute worst song they've ever composed, the one song the band themselves utterly despised.

It gets better, when you find out it's supposedly a very ironic reference to a very roughly translated piece of Chinese propaganda about the Tiananmen Square protests in '89. The stuff at the start of the video seems Chinese-related to, so that's the genius behind that. But otherwise, a pretty wussy song.

Remilia Bloody Scarlet said:
You do realize "Shiny Happy People" is about the Chinese communist dictatorship, right?

dammit now i typed all that for nothing...

Otherwise, the Everybody Hurts video is my favorite, and it's especially powerful at the end.

I know, I think I no longer 'hate' my french teacher knowing she is an REM fan.
I WAS THE ONLY PERSON IN THE CLASS TO KNOW WHO THEY WERE!

Link said:
I know, I think I no longer 'hate' my french teacher knowing she is an REM fan.
I WAS THE ONLY PERSON IN THE CLASS TO KNOW WHO THEY WERE!
Grand Wheelie said:
Disgraceful.
Agreed.
Plus if you're only 14 Lily, probably not that many people your age grew up with REM since they were around more in the 80s and 90s.

Re: RIP, R.E.M.

Grand Wheelie said:
It gets better, when you find out it's supposedly a very ironic reference to a very roughly translated piece of Chinese propaganda about the Tiananmen Square protests in '89. The stuff at the start of the video seems Chinese-related to, so that's the genius behind that. But otherwise, a pretty wussy song.
I understand the irony behind it; ye can't exactly enjoy R.E.M. to the fullest without understanding their sense of irony, after all. But I, many fans, many critics and the band members themselves felt it was a disappointing failed attempt at irony, with Michael Stipe himself bluntly saying "I hate that song."

And me point was just that it was a weird choice for a tribute, not that people shouldn't like it.

Otherwise, the Everybody Hurts video is my favorite, and it's especially powerful at the end.
"Everybody Hurts" has massive sentimental value to me. It really lacks the beautiful subtlety that I enjoy so much from R.E.M.'s work, but the song is so well-composed regardless and its message of hope and perseverance is a nice contrast to the thousands of generic depression songs in the industry that basically say to end it all cuz "life isn't worth living."

Link said:
Well most kids in my year have no taste in music so have no idea who REM are.
No they have taste in Music just a different taste just cause you like something doesn't mean every body should like it

Back