The Official Minesweeper Thread

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
Some people find it impossible.
Some people find it impossibly easy.
So talk about Minesweeper. I don't have anything else to say.

Best times:

Beginner: 13
Intermediate: 153
Advanced: None

Wait I thought I had beaten Advanced. It must have been on another computer. Curses.

I'm actually pretty good at Minesweeper. One of my favorite computer games. I just played a game since you reminded me of it and I got this far:

mine.png

It's actually an easy game if you learn what the numbers mean.

grimAuxiliatrix said:
This game is all about luck, which is why I hate it.
No. The numbers should how many mines are within a one box radius. You have to look at multiple numbers that to figure out where the mines are. There is the occasional time where it is pure luck, but the whole thing is based on luck.

I haven't played Minesweeper in a while, but I have to say the version on XP is the best. I think I can remember my times though:

Beginner: 11
Intermediate: 38
Expert: 112

Or around there. I have a version of it for the iPod touch/iPhone, but since you have to use your fingers, it takes too long and my times suck. Plus the free version doesn't come with expert.

Alphaclaw11 said:
grimAuxiliatrix said:
This game is all about luck, which is why I hate it.
No. The numbers should how many mines are within a one box radius. You have to look at multiple numbers that to figure out where the mines are. There is the occasional time where it is pure luck, but the whole thing is based on luck.

The first click will never be on a mine, and you usually have to rely on luck to get started and find a large gap where you can find a bunch of mines. But luck usually screws you over at the very end if you have to guess between two squares.

I hate that. I once had a family relative who tried to teach me strategy. I got a few pointers, but most of it went through one ear and out the other.

Minesweeper is not about luck, though sometimes you get unlucky and have a little box in the corner surrounded by mines. Then you have to guess.

Jack Noir said:
Minesweeper is not about luck, though sometimes you get unlucky and have a little box in the corner surrounded by mines. Then you have to guess.

That's annoying. I always go for the corners first.

Why? Your first click isn't allowed to hit mines and if you go for the center first you'll probably uncover more spaces than a corner would.

Especially since the Windows 7 version automatically makes the first square a 0, meaning that the least number of squares you can uncover is nine.

Back