What happened to Mariowiki forum 1 hour ago?

ToxBox

Power Star
I can't enter any site, mariowiki or zelda wiki and I just entered ONE page of this forum 3 hours ago and all sites is fine now, is this normal?

King DDD said:
I can't enter any site, mariowiki or zelda wiki and I just entered ONE page of this forum 3 hours ago and all sites is fine now, is this normal?

the server died, that's normal.

Hey King DDD, same thing happened to me!? I just took a nap and came back on, now obviously it's fine! lol Idk maybe the site was busy or something? Idk much about those kinds of computer things. :-\

I think the problem here is actually that your internet hit a patch of lag but IDK

Anyways, about server problems, when too many people try to access the server at once, the server overloads. It eventually gets better so just wait it out.

twinArmageddons said:
I think the problem here is actually that your internet hit a patch of lag but IDK

Anyways, about server problems, when too many people try to access the server at once, the server overloads. It eventually gets better so just wait it out.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, b/c I had the "server won't load" page show up.

Based on my scan the DNS went offline which caused a few errors in the scripting for the forum.

I had that problem too yesterday, when I wanted to refresh it right before going to sleep.
But it wasn't a CSS failure, like King DDD shows at the screenshot, but a loading failure.

And yet again *sigh*, it's because the server failed, not that it's just one specific person.

YamiHoshi.nl said:
And yet again *sigh*, it's because the server failed, not that it's just one specific person.

Yeesh, I was just asking if it happened to anybody else. Didn't mean to sound self-centered.

No, it's more because there are now 3 threads about the same thing, plus everyone cares what happened, while not listening to the cause of it.
I'm not the management team of the server of this site (= Wiki + Forum, and 7 other's), but at least I am on a variety of servers, so I just know what's causing it.
Not that I could tell the exact cause, but at least I know what's down, what's going on with that, etc.

Database errors = MySQL failure.
MySQL is just like a save file for a game.
Example: If you've played an NDS ROM, you'll notice that there's a .nds and a .sav file, right?
Try deleting the .sav file, and you have to start all over.

The same goes for PHP and MySQL.
PHP is like the .NDS file, and MySQL is like the .SAV file.
The difference is, MySQL requires a configuration file in PHP (hostname, username, password, and database name).
Try editing the file into a spelling error, and you'll get exactly the same errors as we are expecting the last few days.

This also tends to happen, if MySQL refuses to start, or work incorrectly.
And since it doesn't work, it can't connect to the database.

Also, if you see the site is totally down (default error pages from your browser), it's either that a webserver (Apache2, Nginx, Lighttpd, etc.) don't work, the server is turned off, or simply because the files don't exist.

Back