Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
So while checking out one of the many forums I go to, I found this little gem:

Click this link to see Cartoon Network's latest big crossover idea.

So even though they showed it for the 3DS, I'm told that the game will also be for the Wii and PS3. Either way, everything that needs to be said is said in the video. It's a free-for-all, but with Cartoon Network characters. They also claim that the story mode will stand out on its own, even though there's a heavy emphasis on multiplayer.

Supposedly, the guys who made this game also made the Ben 10 video games. Anyone played those? Were they any good? Should I be cautious of this?

Well, either way, I'm buying it just to see all these characters in the same game, particularly the ones from TV shows I watched growing up. Seriously, Dexter, Monkey, the Powerpuff Girls, Mojo Jojo, Numbah 1, Samurai Jack... What more could you want?

...Well, maybe Johnny Bravo. The cast they showed was pretty much all the playable characters, with the exception of one mystery character... Also, I read on Wikipedia that there will be "assist characters". 19 to be exact, for a total of 37 characters overall.

...So, I don't know about the rest of you, but this is just behind Paper Mario and Kid Icarus: Uprising on the list of top 3DS games I want. Personally, I plan on playing as Mojo Jojo, Grim, Samurai Jack, and... Captain K'nuckles. Yeah, even though I don't care for the show, I always kind of like K'nuckles for some reason.
 

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Smashgoom202 said:
Well, either way, I'm buying it just to see all these characters in the same game, particularly the ones from TV shows I watched growing up. Seriously, Dexter, Monkey, the Powerpuff Girls, Mojo Jojo, Numbah 1, Samurai Jack... What more could you want?
Its "Numbuh" not "Numbah". Anyway, looks interesting. I'm hoping for more KND characters and I want to see The Amazing Spiez.
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
superjeff64 said:
Smashgoom202 said:
Well, either way, I'm buying it just to see all these characters in the same game, particularly the ones from TV shows I watched growing up. Seriously, Dexter, Monkey, the Powerpuff Girls, Mojo Jojo, Numbah 1, Samurai Jack... What more could you want?
Its "Numbuh" not "Numbah". Anyway, looks interesting. I'm hoping for more KND characters and I want to see The Amazing Spiez.
Oh crud. Well it's been a while since I've seen the series, so oopsie. I recall hearing that Numbuh 2 is in the game, and Father's a confirmed playable character, but not sure about other KND characters... And what's The Amazing Spiez?
 

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Smashgoom202 said:
Oh crud. Well it's been a while since I've seen the series, so oopsie. I recall hearing that Numbuh 2 is in the game, and Father's a confirmed playable character, but not sure about other KND characters... And what's The Amazing Spiez?
Seems pointless making Numbuh 2 playable as he was the worst fighter in Sector V (he's still a great KND scientist though and my favorite character).

As for The Amazine Spiez, its a spin-off of Totally Spies, but instead of focusing on Alex, Sam and Clover, it focuses on 4 Jr. High siblings who like their predecessors are spies working for WHOOP making the world a better place by stopping the villains from carrying out their evil plans. It was on Cartoon Network for One and a half seasons, although there hasn't been any new episodes for a while.

Here's a link to its wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Spiez
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Well, I didn't say Numbuh 2 was playable, I just said he's in the game. See, from what I've heard, there are "assist characters" who help out, but you don't play as them. Other assist characters I've heard of include Mandark, Him, Johnny Bravo, Coco, and Aku.

And honestly, I never cared for Totally Spies, and the odds that they'll include characters from it's spin-off rather than the show itself... It'd be weird. Besides, I don't think it's an actual Cartoon Network show, that is, it's not made by Cartoon Network Studios, nor is it a Cartoon Cartoon, so... Yeah.
 

Gumball Machine

Celestial Guide
Smashgoom202 said:
Well, I didn't say Numbuh 2 was playable, I just said he's in the game. See, from what I've heard, there are "assist characters" who help out, but you don't play as them. Other assist characters I've heard of include Mandark, Him, Johnny Bravo, Coco, and Aku.
So they're basically kind of like the Assist Trophy characters from Brawl?
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Well... Why not? The game is pretty much described as Super Smash Bros. with Cartoon Network characters.
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Trailers showcasing 17 of the 18 playable characters Game Trailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/cartoon-network-punch-time/14582

My favorites so far are Mojo Jojo, K'nuckles, and Grim.

And about the voices, they explained on their FaceBook page that, for whatever reason, they couldn't get certain voice actors, like maybe they were too expensive to hire or they were simply unavailable at the time. But it's not like they didn't try to get the original VAs, and they DID get some, like Bubbles', Mandy's, Ben's, and I think maybe Bloo's. As for the ones they did get, some, like Grim's, Billy's, and Jack's voice, are pretty convincing. Others are good, but still need work. Some, like Flapjack and Father, sound NOTHING like the original voice.

Speaking of which, Father is voiced by Nolan North. All I can say is, he's no Maurice LaMarche.

Also, here's a list of voice actors that are in the game:

George Lowe
Tara Strong
Yuri Lowenthal
Grey Delisle
Neil Kaplan
Fred Tatasciore
Quinton Flynn
Keith Ferguson
Nolan North
 

Smashgoom202

Dry Bowser
Retired Wiki Staff
Sorry for the double post, I thought I'd just throw out that Papaya Studios gave away their e-mail address so they can answer individual questions about the game, and take suggestions. Here it is:

bizdev@papayastudio.com

Also, here's an interview with someone from the development team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iW6DHvKMtY

It's insightful, but at the same time, I'm not buying a lot of what he's saying. Like, it's strange how he said they got the shows' creators for their input on the stages and characters, and yet they couldn't keep Thurop Van Orman as the voice of Flapjack.
 
Top