Ice Climber

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Awards Committee
MarioWiki
winstein
cover_medium.jpg

Yes, it's the one and only Ice Climber game for the NES, and I mean literally. Why? Because they have never gotten another game (ports notwithstanding) at any point in Nintendo's history, while a few of its NES peers like Balloon Fight and Excitebike. So what's the Ice Climber game about? You basically guide Popo, the eskimo in blue to the top of the mountain to forage for food and veggies. If you have a friend or just anybody else to play with, then they will have Nana, the eskimo in pink to play as. Like Mario Bros., the two eskimos can collide with each other so they could either work together or sabotage each other to the top, but one thing is clear: they still need to get to the top because the environment discourages lingering. How? Eventually a polar bear in boxers will show up to force the mountain to move up, causing the eskimos who can't keep up to be picked off. At the top, there is an opportunity to get food, but the most important thing is to get the food from the condor, which will greatly reward the eskimo who get the food. The gameplay might be unpopular because its controls are not quite intuitive, where the characters are subjected to low friction and their jumps have little horizontal distance, making the mountain climbing adventure a hazardous journey indeed.

Despite starring in only one game, they managed to be popular. How? Well if you are a savvy Nintendo fan I think you know the answer. But if you are still out of the loop, let me tell you about a game called Super Smash Bros. Melee. You see, when the Ice Climbers were included, nobody knew who they were, but because of their unique characteristic (you have 2 characters at once!), they managed to be a fan favourite in a short time. Because of that, we actually see interest in the Ice Climber duo to receive another game, which is something Smash Bros. is great at doing: popularising any playable character, no matter their popularity (or lack thereof) that they are assumed to be an all-star character. After all, Pit has managed to get a new game after his strong debut in Brawl, with flying colours.

So actually this topic is to see how many people here are interested in the Ice Climber game, even though they are, for all intents and purposes, stuck in the past. Would a new game do wonders for them, or are they best left in the past?

Thank you for reading.

I'd definitely be on board for a sequel, it would be cool to see Nintendo revitalize Ice Climber similar to what Kid Icarus Uprising did for the Kid Icarus series. (Well I know that Kid Icarus technically already did get a sequel beforehand in the form of Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, but you know what I mean.)

Ash Ketchum said:
I'd definitely be on board for a sequel, it would be cool to see Nintendo revitalize Ice Climber similar to what Kid Icarus Uprising did for the Kid Icarus series. (Well I know that Kid Icarus technically already did get a sequel beforehand in the form of Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters, but you know what I mean.)
It's interesting to note that when Pit was brought back for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Sakurai envisioned Pit's character design as if he's on every Nintendo system, rather than to reuse his design from the past. That essentially gave him a more modern look, and ensured that he is ready for the future. I won't be surprised that his revival is on the cards if they went through the trouble to give him a modern redesign. Compare that to the Ice Climber, where I can't imagine any revival is planned given that their designs are still based in the past.

Now as to what kind of game they will appear in. I am going to predict that if they were to do a revival they will be in a 2D game that involves climbing mountains except more complex level design and a few added abilities because they started in a simplistic game after all. This would be similar to how Balloon Fight's sequel is still a 2D game, but the character has extra moves (like pumping balloons to replace popped ones).

Thank you for reading.

Back