An Important Day Tomorrow

Lemon

funny
Tomorrow, we have the inauguration of the 45th president, Donald Trump tomorrow. Tomorrow, we put the hands of the country into a new person. He may not have political experience, but he is the one the people of The United States of America chose. I personally am glad it is not Clinton, but as I will have fear for our country, I hope Donald Trump can do his best as the president of the United States and not ruin this country for us.

Well as volatile as this subject will likely be on this forum, he literally was not who the people chose. The people chose Hillary Clinton. The Electoral College chose Donald Trump, and because that is the system we have, he is who we're going with.

I do hope that Trump isn't a garbage president despite all odds seemingly pointing in that favor because it's not going to bode well for our international reputation or really make things any better when horribly evil politicians use him to push their agendas. He does have a couple fair ideas that even liberals championed, like congressional term limits and strengthening our infrastructure, so it's not entirely fair to just label everything stamped with Trump to be bad, but I hope they don't come at the expense of sacrificing critical social and environmental programs and compromising the freedoms provided by the constitution and bill of rights just to sate his more radical side of the base. Having to be on-edge for the next 4 years about whether some whacko bullshit slithers its way off of his desk is not a good feeling to have.

Clinton may not have been the best candidate, but at least she would've been a stable and moderate choice, easier for both sides of the political spectrum to lobby.

Anton said:
Well as volatile as this subject will likely be on this forum, he literally was not who the people chose. The people chose Hillary Clinton. The Electoral College chose Donald Trump, and because that is the system we have, he is who we're going with.

I do hope that Trump isn't a garbage president despite all odds seemingly pointing in that favor because it's not going to bode well for our international reputation or really make things any better when horribly evil politicians use him to push their agendas. He does have a couple fair ideas that even liberals championed, like congressional term limits and strengthening our infrastructure, so it's not entirely fair to just label everything stamped with Trump to be bad, but I hope they don't come at the expense of sacrificing critical social and environmental programs and compromising the freedoms provided by the constitution and bill of rights just to sate his more radical side of the base. Having to be on-edge for the next 4 years about whether some whacko bull*bleep* slithers its way off of his desk is not a good feeling to have.

Clinton may not have been the best candidate, but at least she would've been a stable and moderate choice, easier for both sides of the political spectrum to lobby.

Good speech, bud. Agreed with what you said, but I disagree with Clinton being a moderate choice. Also, I like Chex alone, but Chex Mix Cheese is goooood.

Anton said:
As much as I don't like Donald Trump, the Electoral College shouldn't be discredited because of his election. A direct democracy cannot and will not work when actually put into effect. It's often said that democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. If the US were a democracy, the more densely populated cities would hold all the power with the rest of the country essentially being ignored.

Magikrazy said:
Anton said:
As much as I don't like Donald Trump, the Electoral College shouldn't be discredited because of his election. A direct democracy cannot and will not work when actually put into effect. It's often said that democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. If the US were a democracy, the more densely populated cities would hold all the power with the rest of the country essentially being ignored.
the thing is the electoral college is essentially the same thing, only on a larger scale; the densely populated states hold more votes and therefore more power. however, if a direct democracy was put in place, even if it led to what you say it will, it would still better reflect the will of US citizens than the electoral college currently does.

Magikrazy said:
Anton said:

I mean I totally get that but maybe it could be better if farmer clem in idaho didn't have like 5x the voting power of what I've got, resulting in things like 2.5 million more people voting for one person, achieving record-breaking numbers of votes, and still losing. What does this say then, to ignore cities so we can give attention to the rural areas? It should be a bit better balanced. Like, it's not like if more populous states and cities getting more power would mean just letting the midwest fall into ruins; I get the two wolves analogy but we're a bit more sophisticated than that. I do agree to an extent that a direct democracy wouldn't necessarily be better, because that brings up thoughts and feelings akin to Idiocracy's prologue, and how fundamentalist Christians and Mormons who vote heavily conservative churn out 8+ kids on the reg while the handful of Portland parents will have one little Aiden or Keightlynne and that's it.

its a shame everyone complaining now wont change their mind no matter what happens in the next 4-8 years.

i know, i know. its a shame republicans still complain about obama. he was a flawed president, but he was a good president. it was nice having you, barry. farewell.

I blame Hillary Clinton for Trump. Democrats really need to look at what's really going on in their own party; sick s*** made me leave the Dems.

Hillary was really just a contributing factor to the general apathy in Democrats in this and the 2014 election, whether out of not liking either candidate or thinking Hillary had zero chance of losing. Either way, hope they can get a better turnout not just in the 2020 presidential election, but the 2018 midterm elections as well.

Anton said:
He does have a couple fair ideas that even liberals championed, like congressional term limits and strengthening our infrastructure, so it's not entirely fair to just label everything stamped with Trump to be bad, but I hope they don't come at the expense of sacrificing critical social and environmental programs and compromising the freedoms provided by the constitution and bill of rights just to sate his more radical side of the base

Wellllllllllllllllll

For those who don't like autoplay videos and clicking on links, let's see....

The departments of Commerce and Energy would see major reductions in funding, with programs under their jurisdiction either being eliminated or transferred to other agencies. The departments of Transportation, Justice and State would see significant cuts and program eliminations.

The Heritage blueprint used as a basis for Trump’s proposed cuts calls for eliminating several programs that conservatives label corporate welfare programs: the Minority Business Development Agency, the Economic Development Administration, the International Trade Administration and the Manufacturing Extension Partnership. The total savings from cutting these four programs would amount to nearly $900 million in 2017.

At the Department of Justice, the blueprint calls for eliminating the Office of Community Oriented Policing Services, Violence Against Women Grants and the Legal Services Corporation and for reducing funding for its Civil Rights and its Environment and Natural Resources divisions.

At the Department of Energy, it would roll back funding for nuclear physics and advanced scientific computing research to 2008 levels, eliminate the Office of Electricity, eliminate the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy and scrap the Office of Fossil Energy, which focuses on technologies to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

Under the State Department’s jurisdiction, funding for the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, the Paris Climate Change Agreement and the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change are candidates for elimination.

“The Trump Administration needs to reform and cut spending dramatically, and targeting waste like the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities would be a good first step in showing that the Trump Administration is serious about radically reforming the federal budget,” said Brian Darling, a former aide to Paul and a former staffer at the Heritage Foundation.

what a load of *bleep*

PrinceLarryKoopa88 said:
I blame Hillary Clinton for Trump. Democrats really need to look at what's really going on in their own party; sick s*** made me leave the Dems.

word

to fight against the most unlikable republican candidate in modern american history, democrats nominated the most unlikable democratic candidate

what a terrible strategy

Back