Bravely Second: End Layer

NitoriAria

Candid Friend
The sequel to Bravely Default is here! Feel free to discuss this game.

I'll be jumping into this game as soon as I get the True Ending in Bravely Default. I'll be looking forward to the variety of jobs available here, after seeing the variety of jobs in the original. I'm particularly interested in the Exorcist and Kaiser jobs.

I'll pick this up one day. It's among the few games I'm interested in playing at the moment but it's a low priority for now.

I've played a bunch of the demo, at least.

So far it seems like a polished Bravely Default in terms of gameplay, which is very nice.

completed this last night. didn't really go into this game expecting much. Default was alright but it had some pretty annoying flaws (namely the second half of the game was incredibly tedious and dungeons in general felt rather redundant. Bravely Second, however, was significantly better. dungeons were prettier and had more interesting designs. the second half of the game does NOT require doing the same exact dungeons and bosses four or five fricken times in a row. Side quests were also much more engaging since you had to make choices at the end of them which affected the side-stories as well as which bosses you fight/asterisks you gain. also the main story grabbed my attention more than Default's. character's were about the same, which is fine imo since Default's characters were also good. I know some people tend see the Tiz/Agnes/Edea as bland, but personally I find their subtle and more realistic personalities to be a good change of pace from "check out mah gimmick/personality that stands out more than Camilla's boobs"

gameplay-wise I also enjoyed it more than Default. movement on the world map felt faster and more fluid. new jobs were sexy, particularly the excortionist(sp?) with dat gradual MP recovery ability. having all five support ability slots available from the start was super convenient. I also like how you can now see all of a jobs abilities and support abilities without actually having to use said job. that way you can educatedly decide ahead of time what jobs you want to put work into and level up. the addition of consecutive 1-turn win battles made grinding a hell of alot better as well. despite those improvements, I was dissapointed that the SP system is the same crap it was in Default. having to either do microtransactions or put your 3DS in sleep mode for extended amounts of time in order to use a flippin move is very stupid. SP drinks should've just been an expensive in-game item

I found the main story in general to be quite gr8.
Denys and his soldiers actually had good reasons for their actions. Wanting to go back in time and kill the head of the head of the Crystalguard in order to prevent the bad actions of the Crystalguard was a noble cause. hell, if it wouldn't wipe out the existing present world in the process, i'd have actually been for it. The imperial asterisk holders all had nice personal motivations for following Denys as well, which was good.

Altair and Vega were a swell couple. hearing about their romance, their separation, and seeing their reunion with each other was pretty sweet. plus it didn't feel forced since their romance was actually completely relevant to the main plot. Yew X Magnolia felt unnecessary though at least they were a funny/nice couple. Tiz X Agnes wasn't really that spectacular of ship however their relationship did add emotion to the game (especially during the scene whe Tiz went back into a coma and when Agnes came running down Norende Ravine to revive him) and THEY FINALLY DECIDED TO GET MARRIED so yay for them. rip my fanon Yew X Tiz ship though

The end of the game easily had the best fourth wall breaking i've ever encountered. I legit freaked when Providence acknowledged my existence and took control of the game and started forcing the deletion of all save files. in fact I actually stopped playing and consulted an online guide to see if had done something wrong or to see if there was anything I could do about it lol. then the part where Yew halted Providence's crap and the cutscene that followed was so strong and emotional that it made me cry some. definitely one of if not my absolute favorite gaming experience(s)

lastly, that tidbit after the credits implies that another installment in the series, even though it was ambiguous. AR movie also seems like it might be hinting towards another game as well. maybe it'll officially get announced at E3 or sometime later on this year. either way BRAVELY THIRD HYPE

in conclusion, it was a good experience imo and imo anyone who's into JRPGs, liked Default, or even thought Default was just an alright game should totes play Bravely Second

Back