Having trouble with Mario Kart Wii custom music.

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
I'm trying to add a song that's not available on Brawlcustommusic. I only had an MP3 and WAV of it so I converted it to BRSTM using brawlbox.

Thing is, A) the song plays way too quiet in the game, even after I increased the file's volume by 4X twice, and B) it does not repeat. I say "repeat" because it's not a video game song so it doesn't have a looping point but rather an ending. I want it to start over after the ending.

I have tried setting it to loop, with the start and end points just at the start and end of the song. I've also tried patching Revo_kart.brsar with the BRSTM. Nothing works, I always have a silent race after the song ends. Same with the final lap version (which is sped up but sounds a bit distorted in addition to being quiet)

The song I am using is Chomp and Munch from The Brave Little Toaster to the Rescue, and I'm testing it with Rainbow Road. I'm using WavePad Sound Editor to speed it up, and I also added reverb, think that could be the problem?

Do you want me to make it for you?

If you want. I'll have to upload the file since on YouTube it has talking at the beginning and end, which I don't want.

Edit: I already had it on my mediafire account: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/obe3huposhs3d08/Chomp_and_Munch.wav

And if it's not too much trouble, I'd also like this song done: http://www.mediafire.com/listen/6oea4wo3lkz7j4x/Worthless_-_The_Brave_Little_Toaster_Original_Soundtrack.mp3

(They will work with Mario Kart Wii and Brawl right?)

Just PM it to me and I'll work on it

What course do you want it over, may I ask?

Er. I edited my post before you responded to it lol.

I know the filenames for the courses, so it would just be a matter of me renaming the files right?

Yeah but it's just added convenience so you don't have to rename it later. I'm just saving you convenience lol

Mkay

As for Smash Brawl, it definitely should work. Brawl doesn't even use .brsars to patch their files so once you renamed it correctly and you put it in the correct directory, you're good to go.

Do you also want me to make sped up version?

The only solution I know is that you may have not amplified the volume but it sounds like you did. Is there any difference in volume levels with your .brstm and the original file?

I downloaded a sample BRSTM from Brawlcustommusic (4 heroes unite from Super Paper Mario) and played that in BrawlBox, and it was the same volume as the song I want to add.

I did it. What I did was use Audacity, "Amplify", uncheck "no clipping", then typed up a value of, say, 8. Then I went to BrawlBox, made a BRSTM out of this. This is what I typically do for custom music

So here it is.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/7ljs4s5wli7zdir/Mario+Kart+Custom+Music.zip

The volume may crack a little bit but it should sound fine in Mario Kart since their music files are really loud too.

Also, may I ask what version of MKWiiBRSARPatcher are you using? Because I used an older version and a bug occurred on DK Mountain where the music cuts off mid-song, after a loop or so, and I made SURE I patched it, and the problem was fixed when I downloaded MKWiiBRSARPatcher 0.9.

My patcher says "v1"

And thanks, I will try it out.

Edit: The normal song works fine, but the sped up one cuts off mid-song and the rest of the race is silent.

Sounds like the most recent one then

The cuts off mid-song thing sounds like you haven't patched it correctly, as different-sized songs will do. Are you sure you patched the final lap song to the right one?

That is probably what happened. I will do that after I get bored of this endless Luigi on Luigi brawl on Luigi's Mansion with Worthless playing in the background.

So the volume level is fine now?

Have you compared my .brstm to yours and is there any significant volume difference?

I replaced mine. But I remember mine having the same volume as the Super Paper Mario song I downloaded from the website, and everything I've gotten there has had great volume.

As I said, it's pretty odd that even though you did a volume alteration it hasn't translated well into .brstm format. Hopefully you remembered to replace altered songs because sometimes that happens to me that you forget to copy and paste your replacements and you wonder why has nothing changed...

But I'm glad it works fine.

So I went back today and made sure all songs were patched. I put Worthless over Wario's Gold Mine and nothing plays, but only when I'm inside the cave. Plays fine outside the cave. The sped up version of Chomp and Munch still stops, even after I patch it.

Also, where are the character preview models for the CSS stored? For some reason Mario and Luigi have odd textures but only on the CSS.

That's because Wario's Gold Mine uses a multi-channeled BRSTM. It actually plays perfectly, the game reads it, but it's reading nothing in the other "channels" if you know what I mean. Currently, BrawlBox is unable to create multi-channeled BRSTMs so you have to use another program to make them. It's a bit more complicated but nothing too difficult:

http://wiki.tockdom.com/wiki/Custom_Music#Multi_Channel_BRSTM_Making

I still find it incredibly odd that the sped up version stops mid-race even after you patched it. The only thing I did was change its tempo, that's it. Unless you want to export the .wav file of the music that actually works, edit it in your sound editor, then recreate the .brstm and attempt to patch it again. If that doesn't work, I guess the patcher is a bit glitchy. It happens. You can also manually edit loop points with a hex editor but it's a bit more complicated as well.

CSS for Mario Kart Wii? It's driver.szs. If you want to find it, it's located in the scene/model/driver.szs directory.

Back