The General RTS Genre Thread

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk
Okay, I have to put this out there.

RTS as a genre seems to have fallen out of the spotlight, and many people avoid playing these games because of the high learning curve. But I personally am a huge fan of the genre. My personal faves would have to be Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, Empire at War: Forces of Corruption, and Battle for Middle-earth.

What are you guys' favorite RTS games?

When I was younger, me and a cousin played these games often. The only one I remember, though, was Age of Empires(may've been the only one i played).

I don't have any incentive to play these anymore...

Age of Empires II is one of the great classics of gaming.

It's actually still pretty fun, if you don't mind the graphics. And the reused sprites for all the units.

But the gameplay is nice, and that's like 90% of what makes a game good in my eyes.

only ones ive manged to play over an hour of are warcraft series and pikmin 1.

Personally id like to get into them but it seems every 30 minutes i just lose interest or something, it's really damn annoying.

Yeah, the games tend to take a long time unless you rush.

The only game from the Warcraft series that I played was Warcraft III. It was pretty good. I liked the hero units, but personally I'd prefer to build a massive army instead of a smaller, more powerful one.

Warcraft III also required a lot of micromanaging, which really irritated me.

Dr. Javelin said:
Yeah, the games tend to take a long time unless you rush.

The only game from the Warcraft series that I played was Warcraft III. It was pretty good. I liked the hero units, but personally I'd prefer to build a massive army instead of a smaller, more powerful one.

Warcraft III also required a lot of micromanaging, which really irritated me.

might be why i stopped playing, as the managing gameplay became even more irritating in later maps.

Also having to basically be paranoid about every unit position ever was really annoying as you had to scroll ALLLLLL the over here only to find out you're being attacked. It seemed okay for the most part but that element really grinded my gears.

That's what the mini-map is for, so you can just click on the area on the minimap and jump to that location.

Dr. Javelin said:
That's what the mini-map is for, so you can just click on the area on the minimap and jump to that location.

true, but i kinda forget to look at it every now and then haha

guess im not the best at multitasking in real time games

Zae said:
I would suggest Empire at War then, because it has a nice divide between economy and unit production and the actual tactical battles.

Of course if you don't like Star Wars then it would be a terrible choice.

Dr. Javelin said:
Zae said:
I would suggest Empire at War then, because it has a nice divide between economy and unit production and the actual tactical battles.

Of course if you don't like Star Wars then it would be a terrible choice.

well i love star wars(games) so i might check it out.

I just hope this 30 minute span for rts games has like ultimately ended.

The only one I really played was Starcraft. Well I played it with cheats on because that's how I liked it as a kid. Maybe I should give it a try without cheats someday...

New Super Mario said:
Dr. Javelin said:
New Super Mario said:
Pikmin! How can this not be mentioned?
i'm not sure you know what the real-time strategy genre is
um yes I do
whoever put that in the wikipedia article is a moron

I mean honestly. Go look at the Wikipedia article on real-time strategy.

RTS is a game where you build structures, units, etc then send your army to go kill all your enemy armies. You've got to manage an economy and stuff.

Pikmin is an example of more of a management-type of game, not RTS.

I love RTS games, but I haven't actually played that many.

I really want Starcraft 2 and Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 but I don't have the money for either of them.

My friend owes me $20 bucks and I'm trying to get him to buy me AOE II HD on steam.

I still have AoE II/III from when they were released in boxes.

I also have the Native American and Asian expansion packs of III.

New Super Mario said:
But it was mentioned. Zae mentioned it.

Also, Pikmin not falling under your own extremely narrow idea of what an RTS is shouldn't exclude it from mention in this thread. I'm pretty sure most people would say it's an RTS, and even if you don't you have to admit it's atleast very close to one.

Moving on, the only RTS I can claim any real level of proficiency at is Populous 3. I did play Warcraft III a few times as well but I'm pretty sure if I picked that up today I wouldn't have a clue what I was doing, but I'm fairly confident I could hold my own in Populous 3. As much as I've enjoyed Pikmin, I can't say I've ever even beaten the first game. The one month limit is pretty brutal for me.

New Super Mario said:
Uniju said:
New Super Mario said:
extremely narrow idea of what an RTS
you're suggesting that I don't know what the genre even is, it seems, which isn't true.
i'm pretty sure that was directed at me

Well, I personally don't see how Pikmin can be placed in the same genre as Age of Empires, Command and Conquer, Starcraft, etc. Those games all follow the same basic structure, a different structure from the Pikmin games. So they wouldn't be in the same genre to me.

I mean, technically Pikmin is real-time and strategy, but it's certainly not the same style of game as "RTS" generally implies.

Do you get what I'm saying here?
NotABannableOffense said:
My friend owes me $20 bucks and I'm trying to get him to buy me AOE II HD on steam.

I still have AoE II/III from when they were released in boxes.
years later and age of empires II is still a fun game

I have Star Wars: Empire At War with the Forces of Corruption expansion. Unfortunately I can't really get into it. Maybe when I decide to play it again I'll like it more.

I was just playing Swords and Soldiers HD, the other day.

Damn, I remembered the game being really easy, but I went and beat the first campaign, and it got really intense at the last couple of levels.

Back