Author Topic: Collab: Level Articles  (Read 12877 times)

reshiiram

• Time Lord
  • Goomba
    • View Profile
    • the Ellen Rose network
Re: Collab: Level Articles
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2013, 08:56:05 PM »
The last post here was a while ago, but I would like to tackle some of these levels, starting with Super Mario World 2. I have a layout standard for which I will follow in my sandbox on the Wiki. Thoughs?

1: I dislike the foreign name translations being mouse-over rather than plainly visible. Strikes me as added tedium for the reader more than anything.

2: Is the shorter (than the current page, anyway) "overview" representative of what you think such sections should look like? Cutting out the bull*bleep* is definitely something I'd support (Who can actually read this?)

Category usage is wiki-wide policy and explained by this unholy abomination of a page. (I also don't see the point of having separate cats for the Advance ports and the original versions - unless I'm missing something?).

I've reverted the Other Languages templates to where it was on my version.

And regarding the "Overview" section: yes, I think all "Yoshi's Island" levels should look like this. Obviously it would be a tad longer for all the other levels (and I think the "Enemies" should be a subheader underneath "Overview" instead of it's own thing, like on Make Eggs, Throw Eggs' current page). Not sure if the "In-game help instructions" should be a subheader though.

Furthermore, I'll have a look at the DKC series level articles as well. They're pretty good, but some of them, like you said, are disastrously lengthy and frankly look terrible.

Glowsquid

• Dans une galaxie près de chez vous!
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
    • http://darkadia.com/member/glowsquid
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »
I do like having the in-game instructions listed, though I don't think it's needed to list the port's hints when they're nearly identical. Any minor wording difference can be taken care of by using slashes (For ex: "First Hint Block: Hovering Jump (SNES)/Flutter Jump (GBA):").
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Duskull

• Spooky Ghost
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Yoshi876
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
And regarding the "Overview" section: yes, I think all "Yoshi's Island" levels should look like this. Obviously it would be a tad longer for all the other levels (and I think the "Enemies" should be a subheader underneath "Overview" instead of it's own thing, like on Make Eggs, Throw Eggs' current page). Not sure if the "In-game help instructions" should be a subheader though.
I disagree here, I think enemies should have their own section for consistency.

Lord Bowser

• Super High School Level Bowser
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • "It's funny because we're all living in a simulation and free will is a lie."
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 05:57:05 PM »
wow this thread is old :eekdance:

anyway, i wanted to dust off this thread to bring attention to the missing nsmb levels. i've made articles for w7-tower and w7-castle, and also updated world 7's page to be more consistent, but the vast majority of world 8's levels are still missing. i would appreciate any sort of help for this so i don't end up having to make like 10 articles all by myself lol

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
  • You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2017, 01:09:24 PM »
Would it be wrong to give articles to levels that are only named in guides and not in-game? We already do this to an extent with some of the Super Mario Sunshine Shine Sprites, like Pachinko Game and Lily Pad Ride, but I'm talking more about the Shine Sprites that are just somewhere in Delfino Plaza that don't warp Mario to someplace else. The Shine Sprite on the ground floor of the west bell tower, for example, is named "Turbo Dash!" (NP), "Saloon Door Soar" (Prima), "Ramming Speed" (Brady), and "Wreaking Havoc with Turbo" (Versus). Another example, with the Pianta who throws Mario to a Shine Sprite, is "Mario Toss" (NP), "Pianta Chuckster Challenge" (Prima), "Another Crazy Chuckster" (Brady), and "The Chuckster on the Roof" (Versus). It's not like the 100 Coin Stars; these Shine Sprites are uniquely obtained, barring how there's no in-game level for them. Also keep in mind that some of the existing and definitely named levels really are not much better.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 01:45:24 PM »
When I was creating the level articles for SMS, I opted to not give those missions their own page, mainly due to the external naming. In game, they don't have a name, and the method of obtaining them is usually "do this one thing". I also kept the Red Coin levels in the secret areas to the page of the main mission, but then Toadette the Achiever went ahead and gave those their separate articles anyway, so :P

Time Turner

• The Fallen Child
  • Celestial Guide
  • You are filled with determination. (R/GD/TT)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 04:36:24 PM »
Well, the Pachinko level and others were named externally, and there are plenty of in-game named levels that are also just "do this one thing".

King Dedede

• His Royal Nemesis
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
  • Dedede, that's the name you should know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2018, 03:36:43 AM »
Just wondering, will we make articles on the Super Mario Tennis levels?  I know that SMT is just a minigame, but I feel like its levels should still be covered.

Baby Luigi

• Nick, you need to find a woman who hates herself, she'll love you.
  • Awards Committee
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – Патриотическая
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2018, 02:20:52 PM »
I'm kinda split on this. I'm fine with having all levels in one page, since that's par for the course for all Mario Tennis minigame stages, but I wouldn't be opposed to those having separate articles as well.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

King Dedede

• His Royal Nemesis
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2018, 02:54:04 PM »
For reference, the game has 8 levels, not 4.  You won't find the World 2 levels on YouTube because they require two players.  I think I'll be able to write those myself, but it may take a while....

SMT Levels:
World 1-1 (Super Mario Tennis)
World 1-2 (Super Mario Tennis)
World 1-3 (Super Mario Tennis)
World 1-4 (Super Mario Tennis)
World 2-1 (Super Mario Tennis)
World 2-2 (Super Mario Tennis)
World 2-3 (Super Mario Tennis)
World 2-4 (Super Mario Tennis)

King Dedede

• His Royal Nemesis
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2018, 03:39:39 PM »
This is about the Cap Kingdom missions.

For one thing, the Cap Kingdom does have missions.  Many people don't know that, and I can understand why.  I myself didn't know until I redeemed the Prima starter guide for Super Mario Odyssey, and then I confirmed the names by creating a new save file in the game.  I added the objectives as well as descriptions of each to the Super Mario Odyssey and Cap Kingdom articles.  The objectives are also listed on the kingdom nav template.

Cap Kingdom Missions:
Cappy of the Cap Kingdom
To the Top of Top-Hat Tower
The Kingdom Next Door

JC

• Local Moderator
  • Cheep-Cheep
  • Mario jc
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2018, 07:23:06 AM »
This is about the Cap Kingdom missions.

For one thing, the Cap Kingdom does have missions.  Many people don't know that, and I can understand why.  I myself didn't know until I redeemed the Prima starter guide for Super Mario Odyssey, and then I confirmed the names by creating a new save file in the game.  I added the objectives as well as descriptions of each to the Super Mario Odyssey and Cap Kingdom articles.  The objectives are also listed on the kingdom nav template.

Cap Kingdom Missions:
Cappy of the Cap Kingdom
To the Top of Top-Hat Tower
The Kingdom Next Door

The topic of Odyssey missions was discussed with Porplemontage; he said that objectives that open with a cutscene (without leaving the kingdom or quitting the game and then returning) get articles, so you might want to bring that up with him, though I can see an exception being made here. For me, an article for "To the Top of Top-Hat Tower" makes the most sense, since "Cappy of the Cap Kingdom" simply involves chasing after Cappy, and "The Kingdom Next Door" is just using the spark pylon to go to the Cascade Kingdom.

King Dedede

• His Royal Nemesis
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2018, 03:01:19 AM »
I did a few days ago.  However, he's been mostly inactive lately.  Do you know when he'll come back online?

JC

• Local Moderator
  • Cheep-Cheep
  • Mario jc
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2018, 06:31:24 AM »
No, just be patient.

King Dedede

• His Royal Nemesis
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2018, 02:02:03 PM »
He came back, replied, and told me to make a proposal, so that's exactly what I'm going to do.
EDIT: The proposal has been created.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 03:25:16 PM by YFJ »

MediaVideoEditor856

• King Bowser
  • Mario Kart DS Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2018, 07:50:48 PM »
I am planning on making articles on super Mario land articles. can someone help me or should I do it myself?

King Dedede

• His Royal Nemesis
  • Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2018, 07:54:44 PM »
You should probably find someone to help you.  I would, but I have my hands full with two level projects already.  Just make sure you make world articles before level articles.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2018, 08:14:56 PM »
I am planning on making articles on super Mario land articles. can someone help me or should I do it myself?

Darn See what you can do on your own, like in your sandbox page or something. If you need help, I'm sure a majority of the users would be willing to do so.