Bowser will not be appearing in the next Mario title

You know, I am kind of wondering about Tatanga. If Chargin' Chuck came back after a long hiatus, what's stopping Tatanga? Oh right, he's not affiliated with Bowser.

He's also boring and generic.

To be fair, I'm not all that crazy about Tatanga myself. I only brought him up, since much like with Wart, Tatanga did play a main antagonistic role in a mainstream Super Mario title, but was later sent into oblivion, never to be heard from again.

Probably because they realized neither were all that good antagonists. Tatanga was reduced to Wario's lackey and Wart was reduced to a cameo in a Zelda game.

But why does it seem like a requirement for an antagonist to be important at all, he/she must be one of Bowser's minions? Even Wario and DK aren't really all that evil anymore. Why can't we have a new recurring villain? Not to replace Bowser, but I've seen a few franchises that have more than one recurring antagonists that aren't related to each other.

Also, ever think Wart/Tatanga didn't get all that much chance to be cool and shine because of the limitations of their games? Just a thought.

Because there is no story. No reason to justify changing it except for the sake of changing it, which is stupid.

Considering Bowser can be used for pretty much any boss fight imaginable, variety isn't really an issue.

To you, because he's your favorite character.

Others get tired of seeing nothing but him as the final boss of nearly every game under the sun. It's fine to be the main villain, but not to be the only villain.

Take Spongebob for example. Plankton is generally regarded as the main villain of that series, but there's a game in which the Flying Dutchman is the final boss. There's been other final bosses in those games too. Now those are pretty minor games, but even the show has different episodes with different antagonists.

And as far as Nintendo is concerned, Donkey Kong and Zelda seem to get away with it. So why can't Mario?

Not just to me. There is logically no reason to change him at all. He's a popular character, is extremely versatile, and changing him amounts to nothing as there is no story and Bowser generally has very little screen time to begin with.

Zelda by comparison actually has a story, and when DK did it most people just wanted King K.Rool back.

I really want Wario to be the main villain for once because that means he gets defeated again.

Wario isn't really main villain material these days.

He should be. His greed gets out of hand, the Mushroom Kingdom stock market crashes, and Wario is involved in a pyramid scheme and Mario must convince government to throw Wario in jail and beat him up with a round of Mario Party.

Well if you just want to beat Wario up he could be a side antagonist.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
But why does it seem like a requirement for an antagonist to be important at all, he/she must be one of Bowser's minions? Even Wario and DK aren't really all that evil anymore. Why can't we have a new recurring villain? Not to replace Bowser, but I've seen a few franchises that have more than one recurring antagonists that aren't related to each other.

Also, ever think Wart/Tatanga didn't get all that much chance to be cool and shine because of the limitations of their games? Just a thought.
He has every right to beleive this.

I do want Tatanga and Wart to come back it does not bother me if they are sub bosses or main bosses but as long they come back. And they also could help bring more variety to the sport rosters.

Wario or Donkey Kong should also be antagonistic againand appear in other forms of Mario games. I don't see why they are so rare to be seen in a Mario game.

I, for one, would like to see Tatanga and Wart to get another chance to develop themselves so they won't be remembered as bland alien and amphibian Bowser.

Or maybe they'll just end up like Daisy.

Limitations of their games isn't really an excuse. Bowser had the unique character design. Tatanga just looked like a generic alien and Wart was just a generic king frog.

Mario Party Σ said:
I, for one, would like to see Tatanga and Wart to get another chance to develop themselves so they won't be remembered as bland alien and amphibian Bowser.

Or maybe they'll just end up like Daisy.
A big Yoshiking14x thumbs up to you!

Mcmadness said:
Limitations of their games isn't really an excuse. Bowser had the unique character design. Tatanga just looked like a generic alien and Wart was just a generic king frog.
So... what does that mean if he has a unique character design? I think Wart looks all right. Tatanga looks a little bland, but I think it can be used to juxtapose with the contraptions he rides on. If not, if they reappear, they have a chance to get a good redesign even.

It means that there was at least something to be built upon for later games without needing a massive overhaul. Character design is important to creating good memorable characters, hell it's part of what put super mario on the map in the first place besides the great gameplay.

And I think if Wart and Tatanga need to be overhauled then they aren't worth the effort.

Mcmadness said:
It means that there was at least something to be built upon for later games without needing a massive overhaul. Character design is important to creating good memorable characters, hell it's part of what put super mario on the map in the first place besides the great gameplay.

And I think if Wart and Tatanga need to be overhauled then they aren't worth the effort.
I think they're fine the way it is, but I was just listing possibilities for you to consider, but no, you seem impossible to be convinced if you don't believe it already. Several characters had design changes including Mario and Luigi and Donkey Kong and Yoshi. And Iggy Koopa. i'm not asking for a drastic overhaul, but if Tatanga is criticized for being generic, he could have some changes to attempt to address the criticism.

Mario bros and yoshi really don't look THAT different from when they started out.

DK as a series was getting an overhaul hence the new design.

I just don't see the point. His appearance was altered for SML2 and he still looked generic. He's one of those characters best left forgotten.

Mario Party Σ said:
Mcmadness said:

I think they're fine the way it is, but I was just listing possibilities for you to consider, but no, you seem impossible to be convinced if you don't believe it already. Several characters had design changes including Mario and Luigi and Donkey Kong and Yoshi. And Iggy Koopa. i'm not asking for a drastic overhaul, but if Tatanga is criticized for being generic, he could have some changes to attempt to address the criticism.
Maybe give Tatanga a super metallic “suit” to ride on. Wart needs to ride a magic carpet and have some cool and unique abilities like dream related powers or frog abilities. Those suggestions will make them more memorable.

Most redesigns didn't bother me with the exception of you know who.

Back