So I almost died a few days ago

3D Player 2004 said:
Also, I think the Nurse just hated you and wanted you to die, the school wouldn't be stupid enough to hire an incompetent nurse. For that reason, don't sue the school, just solely focus on suing the Nurse, the Nurse severely wronged you and also was the only one to wrong you.

Uhm, what? No, that makes all amounts of no sense. People don't just want you dead like that for no reason, and also that nurse's career and life would be ruined if she was found responsible for a patient's death. That's not something a sane person would bring upon themselves on purpose. This is a very silly assumption to make.

Also, schools make stupid decisions all the time. These are the same people who decided that indifference would be the ideal way of dealing with a live beehive on their premises. If they don't care about that, assuming they also don't pay much attention to what their medical staff is doing is not much of a stretch from there.

Anyway, this is more likely to be a case of culpable negligence, not coldblooded murder (geez). Just keep focussing on both the school and the nurse. But remember to mention the nurse incident to your lawyer and all that. Especially the part where you explicitely informed the nurse of your allergy, and her dismissal of it. It sounds like an important part of the case.

Иeptune said:
a Seagull swooped and dropped a steaming pile of crap on me. Sufficive to say, I was not happy. I hunted down and broke that bird into a million pieces.
I really hope that story's fiction, because it is fucked up.

Walkazo said:
Иeptune said:
a Seagull swooped and dropped a steaming pile of crap on me. Sufficive to say, I was not happy. I hunted down and broke that bird into a million pieces.
I really hope that story's fiction, because it is fucked up.
only part of it is true. I'm not heartless enough to kill a bird, and frankly it flew away before I could even gather myself and see where it went.

what a dense nurse

when a student is stung by a bee, and they tell you they're allergic to bee stings, you'd think she'd take note of that?

Floki said:
Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Any new insight on life you're near death experience has brought you?
Well now I'm a hell of a lot more careful when I'm near plants.
Also, I heard that the nurse who "treated“ me at school was actually a sub, not the full-time nurse. i wouldn't have known since that was my first time in the nurse's office.

I don't think I'm allergic to bees, but there's no way I'm letting myself ever get stung by one by chance I am and I just didn't know.

Glad you're feeling better, hope you reap the rewards from suing that substitute nurse (and the school).

Nurse=0% Common Sense. Really. If she had treated right away, this may not have happened.

Coincidentally, I just got stung by a bee today for the first time in years. Right on the thumb, too (it was stuck in one of the bird nets at the research station I volunteer at and my fingers slipped as I was trying to untangle it). Hurt like hell, but all I could think of was this thread and how glad I am that I'm not allergic... 'Twas a sobering moment.

I'm less inclined to believe my initial theory of a rude nurse now that I heard the Nurse was a subsitute and therefore must have been incompetent.

Icemario said:
I don't think I'm allergic to bees, but there's no way I'm letting myself ever get stung by one by chance I am and I just didn't know.

Glad you're feeling better, hope you reap the rewards from suing that substitute nurse (and the school).
IIRC, you're not allergic to bees unless you've been stung before. I may (probably?) be incorrect, however.

That's....just terrible. I feel really bad for you.

Misty said:
Icemario said:

IIRC, you're not allergic to bees unless you've been stung before. I may (probably?) be incorrect, however.
afaik, no, you can be allergic, but before you're stung the first time, you might not have enough antibodies for it to be as huge a problem as subsequent reactions would, after your body's had a chance to freak out and build up it's excessive defences. Some allergies also gt worse with each reaction and/or just get worse with age (although others decline).

Floki said:
I do feel bad for the nurse; one stupid mistake is probably going to ruin the lady's life and career.
Oh well. That's what she gets for putting a kid's life in jeopardy.

Magikrazy said:
Floki said:
I do feel bad for the nurse; one stupid mistake is probably going to ruin the lady's life and career.
*ahem*
3D Player 2004 said:
I'm less inclined to believe my initial theory of a rude nurse now that I heard the Nurse was a subsitute and therefore must have been incompetent.

Shy Guy Forever said:
Magikrazy said:
Floki said:
*ahem*
3D Player 2004 said:

Did he ever say that the nuse intentionally put a child's life in jeopardy?

Because being a substitute is an excuse for nearly manslaughting someone.

I don't get it though, I knew that bee stings could be fatal when I was a little kid, so I literally cannot fathom how somebody with even the simplest levels of first aid training could *not* know that.

Being a substitute is far from an acceptable excuse for nearly killing someone due to common knowledge WHICH YOU ALSO HAVE TRAINING IN.

Well, looking at this from the nurse's point of view, it's possible they see a lot of kids just trying to skip out on class and a bee sting would be a clever way of doing that if you claimed to be allergic. Showing skepticism at first isn't unreasonable.

I'm not saying that this justifies the decision. It probably would have been best to call the parents and confirm an actual allergy to bee stings, then head to the hospital.

Yeah, I can kind of understand why the nurse would assume a kid is saying bullshit to get out of class (happens all the time at my school, I'm not innocent of it either).

That said, I'm not defending her. Even if she's just like most substitute *anything*'s at school where they don't event try to look like they care.

Okay, a few new developments;
  • The sub nurse was fired for negligence and has been sued by the school; I think her license may have been revoked
  • They cut down the cherry tree and destroyed the beehive (and two other beehives found across the campus)
  • My parents are switching me out of that school next year for 9th grade (middle school in my area is grades 7-9)

Yui Hirasawa said:
Because being a substitute is an excuse for nearly manslaughting someone.

i don't think anyone was trying to say it was ok because she was a substitute. i think the message was that the fact she was a substitute was irrelevant, because being one tells you pretty much nothing about the quality of their work.

Back