Gabrielle Giffords shot

Significantly smaller is a bit of an understatement.

Hey wait. Why the hell are we talking about Athenian democracy in a thread about as assassination attempt?

Smaller, but still a significantly large amount; Large enough for it to be a problem, without some sort of representative model to better organize the system of voting. They didn't literally have ever single solitary citizen speak their mind. They did however, have them vote on issues regarding the state.

Seriously, the guy who did this should get the death sentence. I wish it was still in effect over here in the UK.

Post conflicted twice. Bring on no. 3.

Herr Shyguy said:
Hey wait. Why the hell are we talking about Athenian democracy in a thread about as assassination attempt?

Blame the TC. He brought it up.

Bowser Koopa said:
Smaller, but still a significantly large amount; Large enough for it to be a problem, without some sort of representative model to better organize the system of voting. They didn't literally have ever single solitary citizen speak their mind. They did however, have them vote on issues regarding the state.

A significantly large amount? I'd say so. However, you seem to be underestimating the scale of how ambitious a project to renovate the entire system of government would be.

Let's speak hypothetically for a moment. Let's say that everyone is perfectly happy with this, and we're now an Athenian democracy. How do you intend to get every citizen of age to vote? Where do we draw the arbitrary lines on what is a topic we should take all the time and effort necessary to cast a vote on? Let's not even get into the fact about how easily people would sell their votes; it makes the corruption in our current form of government almost laughable in comparison. I still don't believe Athenian democracy would work in our country as of now.

Ninji said:
Herr Shyguy said:

Blame the TC. He brought it up.

Bowser Koopa said:

A significantly large amount? I'd say so. However, you seem to be underestimating the scale of how ambitious a project to renovate the entire system of government would be.

Let's speak hypothetically for a moment. Let's say that everyone is perfectly happy with this, and we're now an Athenian democracy. How do you intend to get every citizen of age to vote? Where do we draw the arbitrary lines on what is a topic we should take all the time and effort necessary to cast a vote on? Let's not even get into the fact about how easily people would sell their votes; it makes the corruption in our current form of government almost laughable in comparison. I still don't believe Athenian democracy would work in our country as of now.
Nothing's perfect, so obviously we can't guarantee that every single solitary citizen will vote. We can however, incentify them to vote. There are countries that tax citizens who don't vote. (Or we could give them a tax deduction for voting) There are ways to persuade people. As for people selling their votes..... that would be a rather difficult thing to lobby. Imagine how much money that would cost special interests. Certainly more than paying off select few senators.

I'll get back to you on what you said about arbitrary lines. I'm late for an appointment. Good discussion. Edit: Alright, I'm back. As for that arbitrary line... good question. Was thinking about this for a long long time while driving to the office today. At present, I haven't a definitive answer. Off the top of my head, I would say that new policies as well as removing old policies, would trump modification of existing policies in regards to importance. Projects like The New Deal tend to be more ambitious than say... raising federal income taxes. I think that the former should have more time and thought put into it.

Bowser Koopa said:
I'll get back to you on what you said about arbitrary lines. I'm late for an appointment. Good discussion.
Yeah, even though I wasn't part of it, it's the first sensible stuff I've seen here since Scorpion came.

Sensible, you mean... as in, civilized discussion?

As for what Herr said, I'm assuming our Athenian Democracy discussion is not permitted?

Herr Shyguy said:
God said:
Herr Shyguy said:
Right, because cramming billions of people into a convention hall would totally work better.
Actually about 3/10 of a billion.

And yes it would work better. Or at least some sort of referendum.
Wait, you're serious aren't you?
You are acting like the idea is far fetched.

It's not. There are plenty of states that use ballot initiatives.

How is Athenian democracy in a country with a population in the billions being seriously discussed? That shit does not scale.

Herr Shyguy said:
How is Athenian democracy in a country with a population in the billions being seriously discussed? That *bleep* does not scale.
Which country are we talking here? U.S. has over 307,000,000

Well, while I respectfully disagree with your stance; To each his own I say. Still, it would be nice to further discuss that with you in the future. I'm always open for touching up on it; Elsewhere though. As you said, off topic, etc.

Herr Shyguy said:
My point still stands.
It absolutely does in my book, but just keep in mind that there are 6.8 billion people on Earth altogether. It would be crazy if the US had billions.

Okay sorry to be off topic but I keep thinking this thread says Gilbert Gottfried was shot.

XRqSF.jpg

What happened truly is tragic though.

Mason said:
Herr Shyguy said:
My point still stands.
It absolutely does in my book, but just keep in mind that there are 6.8 billion people on Earth altogether. It would be crazy if the US had billions.

Okay sorry to be off topic but I keep thinking this thread says Gilbert Gottfried was shot.

XRqSF.jpg

What happened truly is tragic though.
oh_you.jpg

But yeah... to get back on topic and off the Athenian tangent.... did you all see the 8 minute Sarah Palin "speech" about the shooting?

The fact that the girl was born on 9/11 is just a coincidence and I don't really know why people are making a big deal waaaait a minute

Stooben said:
Britain said:
including a 9-year-old girl born on 9/11.
She went to the same school I did when I lived in Tucson. Kinda weirded me out a bit.

You went to the same school with a kid 10 years younger than you?

meh.ro5863.jpg

But... to be serious again; I did hear that the little girl actually was into politics, and was really quite intelligent for her age. It does my heart good to see young people get into politics so early. I hear she's the grandaughter of a manager of a baseball team. Forgot which one though. The Nicks?

President Iwata said:
Stooben said:
Britain said:
including a 9-year-old girl born on 9/11.
She went to the same school I did when I lived in Tucson. Kinda weirded me out a bit.

You went to the same school with a kid 10 years younger than you?
It's not illogical. My school ranges from ages 2 to 18. >_>

Back