Was 2022 a good year overall for you?

• Total voters

Gloriosa Daisy

I've got this!
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
MiracleDinner
Well hard as it is to believe 2023 is almost here in 5 days so I'm making a thread to review 2022:

Personal life

The Bad:
  • I still had some mental health issues, related to things I prefer not to share. This was particularly difficult around April-May.
  • I hate university and work and Year 2 is even more difficult and going poorly, since I have failed most tests and such
  • Some friends I miss a lot and never managed to get to meet.
  • I still have a very limited irl social life
  • I still don't have a bf
The Good:
  • Linux: Whilst it was technically at the very ending of last year (specifically Christmas Day in fact) that I first tried Linux (specifically Ubuntu 20.04 "Focal Fossa") for the first time, it was this year that I came so so far and enjoyed it so very much:
    • Jan: I start messing around with Ubuntu and really enjoyed learning how the new OS works, using my older laptop
    • Feb 26: I install Ubuntu on my main PC, my gaming laptop, and start using it full time for work, gaming, university, libreoffice for my autobiography, watching tv/movies/YouTube, music, everything unless i specifically require Windows software to do something, for which i retain a dualboot partition (though I don't need it often as it just so happens most of the stuff I do doesn't depend on such software.)
    • late June: I switch Ubuntu to Arch. I was interested in a more "do it yourself" OS and people on reddit and stuff were saying "arch good ubuntu bad." At first I liked it a lot but I eventually decided a rolling release wasn't for me.When I first switched to Arch I used GNOME as that was what I'd been used to from Ubuntu, but I later used Xfce as my daily driver.
    • Summer holidays: I experiement with several different distros including Arch, Ubuntu, Linux Mint (great), Fedora (great), Debian (amazing and nowadays my favourite), openSUSE (meh), Gentoo (cool but hard and compilation time), Lubuntu (nah), EndeavorOS (great), and Manjaro (nah), and a few different desktop environments including GNOME (pretty but has issues i won't expand on here), Xfce (great), Cinnamon (great), Plasma (the best on paper and very admirable but whenever i use it it just doesn't feel like home), LxQt (nah), LXDE (nah), Pantheon (hard nope), and some standalone window managers especially Openbox (cool but i prefer full featured DEs that work without too much manual config).
    • October: I switch Arch to Debian (the Stable branch, which when I switched to it and at the time of writing this post, was Debian 11 "Bullseye"). I also switched back to GNOME at this point.
    • November: I start a fresh Debian installation, done manually using the CLI, and return to Xfce. This was was quite frustrating as there were a ton of issues/bugs at first but I managed to eventually sort most or all of them out. I'm still using that install to type this post lol.
    • December: I consider contributing to Debian as a package developer/maintainer. It'd be extremely cool to do it, but it looks kinda complicated and I do not have much time due to university. We will see.
  • Thanks to the fact I now have a gaming laptop, I've very much enjoyed trying Tomb Raider 2013, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider (around March-May) and later Red Dead Redemption 2 (July). Also I like Tell Me Why even if only for the fact it is THE ONLY video game I have ever played to have a well-represented trans character (Tyler is ftm) as its main protagonist. But I'm still in the very early stages of Tell Me Why.
  • I've also loved continuing to play other games I already had such as Minecraft and Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. My gaming laptop is really nice for Minecraft Java with shaders and for emulators of every Nintendo console up to and including the Switch.
  • Family life has overall been great.
  • I've had great online friendships with @Fawfulthegreat64 , @Penguin Toadette , @MerryMario as well as others whom I will not name.
  • 27th Feb: I turn 19 and have a great birthday. Thankfully, unlike my 20th birthday next year, it happens to fall on a Sunday so I got to celebrate it with my family and not do any work.
  • In the late stages of the year I have done some digging into my family history, partially in connection to my auto biography, which I have overall found very interesting and very satisfying to know. Unfortunately though, there's one family tree I surely remember having in 2016 that I've searched high and low for but found no sign of.
  • Whilst I've still only gotten up to my early teenage years, my auto biography has been a delight to continue.
  • Jun: I attempt a 24 hour gaming marathon, and make it to 12-13 hours (depending if the 1 or so hours of troubleshooting for unexpected problems with Lego Batman 2 count) before tiredness gets the better of me and i went to bed. my sleep schedule was ruined for a couple weeks lol. that was the first time afaicr that i've literally been awake an entire night and it was pretty rough by the time i decided to give up. i played, in order, Minecraft 1.8.9 Survival, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Lego Batman 1, Lego Batman 3, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider which is what I was playing when I gave up. despite failing my target of 24 hours and the fact it was really rough with respect to sleep/tiredness i had a lot of fun and don't regret it but i won't be doing it again.
  • Nov (i think): I've also written some fictional stories (that I haven't shared and don't plan to share with this community but I really enjoyed writing them)
  • I've done a few MLP drawings? Only a few but was fun to do and I was really impressed by the results.
  • Oct: I met a guy who I am sweet on, but I'm not sure he returns that feeling. Also I met at least one very nice friend at the same time.
  • I watch Seasons 5-9 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Rainbow Rocks, Friendship Games, Legend of Everfree, Rainbow Roadtrip, all other EqG content (the six-part specials, the better together, the choose your own ending, everything) and My Little Pony: The Movie (on my birthday!), all of which were great (though I do feel the earlier seasons of MLP were overall stronger than the later ones, plus the first EqG movie is still my favourite of the movies).
  • Dec: The Christmas period was nice. Everything went well as usual. Unlike last Christmastime, nothing particularly interesting happened this year but it was nice.

World Events

It was quite terrible all around (like 2020 and 2021) and I don't think I know more about it than other people here already do so I won't talk about it much. The Russo-Ukrainian War, the pandemic, the overturning of Roe v. Wade (I do not live in the United States and it doesn't affect my rights personally (edit: at least not directly) but it's still a horrific loss of human rights and a sad day for the world), the Queen's death (I am British), the whole mess with the UK government, various matters to do with transphobia, etc.

Media Relases

I honestly haven't enjoyed much stuff this year, aside from Wednesday and MLP G5.

Bonus:

Since I remember answering these questions a year ago:
  • Get into the second year of the maths course at university by passing all the modules in year one Yes I did achieve this and didn't even need any retakes, but Year 2 isn't going well. Also I barely made the pass mark to not have to do any retakes, so I was lucky and hard worked.
  • Sell my switch and buy a hackable one so that I can hack it, then try cool stuff with the hacked switch Yup and this went great. My sister loves the old one I gave her
  • Swap my iPhone for an android phone (mainly thinking oneplus due to the snapdragon processor which is good for gaming unlike samsung that uses exynos in the uk for almost all their phones, and everything else about the main series seems pretty solid) Won't happen until August 2023 at least unfortunately, but I no longer feel so strongly about this especially due to getting to mess around with Linux
  • Stuff in my personal life I prefer not to share Still don't want to share it but I achieved some of it
  • I have some video games I want to try, but I don't really have any huge gaming projects to work on right now besides playing those, and finishing games like LEGO Dimensions that I like and have started but have yet to beat the main story. I've almost finished LEGO Dimensions, I'll probably finish it off before I return to university next year.
  • Speaking of LEGO Dimensions I'm maybe going to set up that game on my gaming laptop for convenience (via CEMU) Nope, and don't plan to. More effort than it's worth (and possibly money too). May also be difficult or impossible to get working on Linux
  • I'm currently writing a sort of autobiography/full written account of my childhood and I wanna finish that (typed not by hand) I have made a lot of progress and have covered several years' worth content this year, but I have not finished or nor am I close
  • Finishing the entirety of G4 of MLP (movies and tv episodes; I have no interest in collecting physical toys) seems like a fun and achievable target Yes, and it was amazing
  • Getting to watch the second season of (G2) DC Super Hero Girls Nope
  • Maybe watch some more of young justice? And since finishing the original teen titans series and the trouble in tokyo movie, I have yet to revisit either, which I might do sometime. Nope on the Young Justice, but I did get an amazing deal of DVDs for the original Teen Titans series. Haven't found an affordable DVD for Trouble in Tokyo sadly.
  • Of course getting to watch more TTG would be great too; I still have yet to watch most of seasons 6 and 7 as they aren't on netflix and I wouldn't be suprised if they never will be. I also wanna see Teen Titans Go! See Space Jam. Nope, and I honestly feel like since my MLP fixation I'm becoming less interested in TTG. I certainly would still like to watch these someday.

I won't quote the whole post but you can read here: https://www.marioboards.com/threads/41858/post-2312417

• Paper Jam: Yes but I'm only in the mid stages of the game as I've had a lot else to do. It's an okay game in its own right but an enormous dissappointment compared to the first four M&Ls
  • Origami King: No
  • Bug Fables: No
  • Minecraft Dungeons: No
  • Lego Movie 2 Video game: A little
  • Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Received it for Xmas 2022 but yet to play it and I won't be doing so until 2023 since I do not have my switch in my home town
  • Mario Party Superstars: Yes and it was amazing
  • Undertale: No
  • Lego DC Super Villains: No
  • Zelda BotW: No
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons: No
  • PC games: Yes, as mentioned above, and it was great
  • Completing G4 of MLP: Yes as mentioned above and it was amazing
  • G5 of MLP: Yes and it was good but not as good as G4
  • TTG: not much and few episodes I've not seen before, no movies i've not seen before
  • Young Justice: no
  • Season 2 of DCSHG: no
  • Revisiting Adventure Time: not much

Last edited:
i dont even know if 2022 was good for me overall or not. it was. definitely a year
i already rambled about that in a proflie post btu i did get even harder into angry birds and i also played a crapton of free little games on my pc which was great
but on the other hand im now acutely aware of angry birds issues (ie the fandom is actually generally terrible, and the things are often weird on the official side of things) and there werent many big things that happend to angry birds this year and also theres this real life thing which affected me badly the entire year. and im also even worse at studying somehow

for games ive played this year for the first time or the first time in a while there were spore origins and spore creatures on two separate mobile emulators (neat little games), angry birds dream blast (fun cute game), technically a lot of angry birds webgames as well, fancy pants (wordl 1, 2, 3, and 1 remix)(very fun awesome platformers awesome controls very speedrunnable), a gajillion other flash games, tux racer (neat little thing) and supertux (interesting as an obviously mariop inspired game but also sometimes frustrating its also p neat though)
idk if youd count angry birds epic since i first played it in 2021 on december 25th but most of my playtime was this year. i also downloaded the bibites (which i dont know if you could consider a game its more of an evolution simulator) but im yet to try it out
besiides videos games i rewatched angry birds toons and angry birds stella and also watched angry birds summer madness, all in the latter half of hte year. yeah those are awesome

hm. can you tell if i like angry birds. big mystery

This is the year I discovered myself.

Last year, I discovered my pansexuality. Now, I have embraced the fact that I wish to be known as a woman (and a man, just a little bit. Bigenderism is a bit funny). I feel happier calling myself a girl instead of a boy. I mean, yeah, I still have my boyish traits, but it's not like I'm gonna replace all of it with girly traits. My transitioning is still hard to write about, mostly because I barely even started, I think.

In other terms, I have a boyfriend now! Well, I've been with him for a few months now, and while I can't see him in person, I still love him very much.

2022 was generally a pretty good year for me, with an occasional not good aspect leading to me calling the first half of 2022 worse than either half of 2021, but on the other hand the second half was better than either half of 2021 due to more freedom. Overall maybe I'd call 2022 marginally better still.

Positives of 2022:
-I moved out and am liking my dorm a lot, with likable people to talk to, even though some of its food is better than others (though the former is good if you know what to do, such as making sure quesadillas stay on a long time)
-I read some books, and saw each of them as at least okay or better (those being Artemis Fowl: The Arctic Incident, Brother's Keeper and Icebreaker)
-This was the year I massively got more into Ace Attorney. I was always interested in the series, but I usually only played the first game until the third or fourth case and then fizzled out. This year I beat not just the first game but Justice For All, and I'm learning about the series a lot more.
-I got good grades this year, with straight As the Fall semester.
-I loved my trips to New York and Iceland.

Neutrals of 2022:
-The list of cartoon episodes I watched in 2022 was not quite as good as the episodes in 2020 and 2021 I watched, with Season 8 of MLP being my least favorite season of the show by far, and Season 2 of Danny Phantom doing tolerably better so far but still not being as good as its first season right now. I'm not counting this as a negative because there were still some episodes of either show I liked last year.

Negatives of 2022:
-My Astronomy professor really didn't have a good attitude, insisting he replied to emails he didn't, and not explaining how accommodations worked on the final until forced to by by college. This was a factor putting the first half of 2022 below either half of 2021.
-My parents overall, they want to monitor my devices even after I've moved out, my mom's butted into the issue of which guys I have a crush on, and my dad keeps being passive-aggressive about complaining about that I don't want him to double-dip in various foods I eat and hasn't apologized for calling me an idiot/dumbass/etc.
-There are some habits I wanted to terminate in 2021 that I've gone back into, but I have a plan to stop them.

Last edited:
Back