The Ten Commandments still copyrighted on YouTube???

FirePuppy

Koopa Troopa

We all know that under copyright law, everything published before January 1, 1926 is supposed to be in the public domain today, so what's the point of Paramount still claiming copyright to the 1923 film "The Ten Commandments" within the YouTube platform? Are they not taking copyright seriously enough?

Moreover, this was uploaded just RECENTLY, almost three years after the copyright expired.

We all know that under copyright law, everything published before January 1, 1926 is supposed to be in the public domain today
Source pls

They're prob taking the piss given how easy it is to claim on YouTube.

Literally nowhere in that link is there any indication that Paramount is still claiming copyright over the 1923 film The Ten Commandments.

It says the film was provided by Paramount, which is completely fine. OP, I don't think you understand this but 'public domain' does not mean that whoever owned the copyright to a work before it fell into the public domain is no longer allowed to distribute that work nor does it mean that something in the public domain can no longer be sold/rented for profit.

It just means that anyone is allowed to use and distribute the work however they want. I could upload a 144p version of The Ten Commandments onto my YouTube channel for free or I could use a video editor to give the entire film a green tint, put some ill-fitting royalty-free music as the soundtrack, burn the film onto some DVD-Rs, scribble 'The Ten Commandments 1923' in marker on the front of the discs, and sell them for 5 bucks a pop. Both are completely fine.

There is absolutely nothing wrong here.

Literally nowhere in that link is there any indication that Paramount is still claiming copyright over the 1923 film The Ten Commandments.

It says the film was provided by Paramount, which is completely fine. OP, I don't think you understand this but 'public domain' does not mean that whoever owned the copyright to a work before it fell into the public domain is no longer allowed to distribute that work nor does it mean that something in the public domain can no longer be sold/rented for profit.

It just means that anyone is allowed to use and distribute the work however they want. I could upload a 144p version of The Ten Commandments onto my YouTube channel for free or I could use a video editor to give the entire film a green tint, put some ill-fitting royalty-free music as the soundtrack, burn the film onto some DVD-Rs, scribble 'The Ten Commandments 1923' in marker on the front of the discs, and sell them for 5 bucks a pop. Both are completely fine.

There is absolutely nothing wrong here.
Not unless you re-upload parts of the movie on YouTube and get a frivolous copyright claim over it. That could still happen.

did you do that, then?

youtube has plenty of problems but this topic legitimately sounds like shouting fire where there is none

in fact if i youtube search "the ten commandments 1923" the very first result i get is someone having uploaded the whole movie as one video for free

I would not be surprised if YouTube, or Google, tried this lol

I wouldn't be surprised either, which is why I present to you the Ten Commandments - According to Google:
1. You shall have no other gods before Google.
2. You shall make no idols, especially in the name of Facebook.
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your Alphabet Inc. in vain.
4. Keep the search history holy.
5. Honor Google's server warehouse and thou motherboard.
6. You shall not murder your internet provider.
7. You shall not commit adultery by using Yahoo or Bing.
8. You shall not steal our private data, but we'll still sell yours.
9. You shall not bear false witness by spreading misinformation, unless it generates more money for us.
10. You shall covet, so you keep shopping online.

Back