The 'Shroom's Zeldamon Music Contest!

Zeon

Commander of Colony 9
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
FunkyK38
Greetings, composers and artists, welcome to the official thread for The 'Shroom's Legend of Zelda Music Contest! Here is the place to submit your entries, ask questions, and interact with other entrants!

The official post, for your reference:
To mix it up for the Legend of Zelda series 30th anniversary, I’m pleased to announce the opening of our first music composition contest! If music is your thing, please consider joining in!

Give us your best! Compose a song, remix an old favorite, create a mash-up, it’s up to you! The Zelda series is known for its amazing music, and we want to see your take on it!

The official rules:

1. Your piece must be no shorter than 30 seconds in length or no longer than 10 minutes. The purpose of the length limit is not to force anyone into trying to put out something much longer than they think they can do, but to make entries easier to create for everyone.

2. Any style of composing is allowed. If you want to compose your piece on a music editing software and perform it with instruments, that’s fine. If you want to make a chiptune or a computer-generated piece, that’s fine as well.

3. Your final submission must be in a format we can share here, whether that’s a public file on SoundCloud, a download link, or a YouTube video. If you do choose to put your video on YouTube, please be careful of copyright infringement.

4. As per usual with our Art contests, please include a small summary of your piece, describing what it is, why you decided to pick that music, etc.

5. We will be watching out for any plagiarism in entries. Remixing a song in a new key, tempo, or style is fine. Changing one or two small things in a song and calling it good is not. Please don’t try to pass off a Zelda song as your own!

You will have until March 19th, the day when the next issue comes out, to submit your music!
There will be an official board in the Fan Creations topic in the Forums, so post your entries, questions, concerns, etc., there.

Good luck to all you composers!

Again, you will have until March 19th to post your entries here. If you need more time, please let us know on this board!

EDIT: Due to some concerns about time constraints with the deadline, the official due date for your submissions has been extended to April 16th, the day that Issue 109 comes out.

Umi Sonoda said:
Really hope the deadline won't arrive fast, I'm dying for working on the laptop for long, but so far so g00d
Same here, I only have half an hour a week to do this on the school's Garageband, so I'm getting a backup entry ready just in case.

The Pyro Guy said:
Umi Sonoda said:
Really hope the deadline won't arrive fast, I'm dying for working on the laptop for long, but so far so g00d
Same here, I only have half an hour a week to do this on the school's Garageband, so I'm getting a backup entry ready just in case.

If it's getting close to the 19th and you guys need more time, absolutely feel free to let me know. We can totally extend the deadline.

I actually think an extension is a good idea due to how layered music tends to be

Crocodile Dippy said:
I actually think an extension is a good idea due to how layered music tends to be

I agree. I'll extend the deadline out another month.

This contest sounds like a great idea! :dk:

I won't be participating, but I am excited to hear what the contestants will come up with!

Dinomyte said:
This contest sounds like a great idea! :dk:

I won't be participating, but I am excited to hear what the contestants will come up with!

Glad to hear it! You can still participate by voting for your favorite in the final round!

FunkyK38 said:
Glad to hear it! You can still participate by voting for your favorite in the final round!

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

Funky, would you consider in the future extending such contests to playing off a score? Interpretation's a form of creation as well; no two performances are the same. I'd have a blast if that happened. :P

Can't wait to vote.

Andymii said:
Funky, would you consider in the future extending such contests to playing off a score? Interpretation's a form of creation as well; no two performances are the same. I'd have a blast if that happened. :P

Can't wait to vote.

Absolutely! I could add that into the rules for this one as well if you'd like, as you are very right.

DragonFreak said:
Score as in like a rating like 1-10 or something like that? If so that would be cool.

Actually, 'score' here means the background music that you hear in movies, TV shows, and video games. Often it's instrumental pieces that are added to give a scene more depth.

FunkyK38 said:
DragonFreak said:
Score as in like a rating like 1-10 or something like that? If so that would be cool.

Actually, 'score' here means the background music that you hear in movies, TV shows, and video games. Often it's instrumental pieces that are added to give a scene more depth.

It's a little to late for me to enter now, but just for conformation, is playing off sheet music is okay in the future? For the same reasons I previously said, interpretation blah blah.

Sure, that's fine!

done woooooo
I decided to recreate Ravio's Theme from A Link Between Worlds.
I created it with Garageband and a program that authentically recreates the NES sound. I decided to do this theme because I found it quirky and fun to listen to, and I thought about what it would sound like in, say, the original Legend of Zelda or in Zelda Wii U. Enjoy!

Whew. Took me a month, but here it is Gerudo Stars

This is a mash-up between Gerudo Valley from LoZ (using three different versions of Gerudo Valley plus the LoZ theme song and the puzzle completion jingle) and Counting Stars from OneRepublic. Somewhat inspired from BotanicSage, I really wanted to do a LoZ mash-up and after pairing up dozens of possibilities, I felt like Gerudo Valley and Counting Stars go well together. They use similar instruments and follow same musical patterns such as tempo and dynamics. I worked pretty hard on this and I think it sounds pretty great and I hope you enjoy it too. It was fun mashing two of some of my favorite songs together.

Also sorry for the possible ads. The company who owns Counting Stars, I found out, is really restrictive on their music. Even though I believe that both songs fall under fair use since they are both being transformed, it's pretty much impossible to actually convey that to a company.

Final call for submissions! Your entry MUST be on this board by no later than Saturday, April 16th, at 8:00 EST to be eligible for voting! Voting on submissions will begin April 17th and last until the day before the next 'Shroom release.

SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED! Thank you to everyone who entered! Voting will begin this Sunday, April 24th! Be sure to listen to our fabulous entries and cast your vote then!

Back