Discuss: SSBB Stage Pages

GBA

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
  • ages of rages
    Not sure if this is should be a collab or a proposal or maybe both (or maybe neither!), but I was going through our SSBB stage articles and noticed heaps of inconsistencies with their appearance and layout.

It's obvious that many of our SSBB articles aren't the wettest noodles in the MarioWiki spaghetti pot, but since we'll eventually be creating articles for the new SSB4 stages, I reckon we should at least try to improve these ones and establish some sort of standard with stage articles so they're all neat and tidy when we get around to creating new ones (and so that none of this stuff happens again).

Notable Inconsistencies:
    • Music Lists are either tables, plain text lists or a mixture of both. Plain text lists are split into Unlockable Music and Starting Music, whereas the tables are split into Songs (or Themes) in My Music and Songs (or Themes) not in My Music. With tables, some cells that give unlocking criteria are completed (as in the whole column is filled, but songs w/o unlocking criteria are left empty), whereas others are broken up.
    • Galleries that contain images of the stage are either before or after the music lists. Some stages contain reference images of where the stage originated from.
    • Stages with alternate appearances or transformations (such as WarioWare, Inc., Flat Zone 2, Castle Siege and Pokemon Stadium 2) have these expressed with a table, others with a simple gallery. Mushroomy Kingdom is a particularly special case as it has two separate thumbnail images and nothing else (plus externally linked images in its highly superfluous table grrr)
    • Luigi's Mansion, Delfino Plaza and Mario Circuit have separate articles compared to other stages with appearances in the Mario series such as 75m and Mario Bros.
    • Trophy and Sticker info is given for characters that make notable appearances on some stages, but not others.
    • Events are given on some stages, but not others.

So basically, they're unorganized messes like many of our other Smash articles. I was thinking about drafting some kind of (undocumented) standard for these pages, but I'd like to know what everyone else has in mind before going ahead with it.

Things to discuss
  • Songs list layout (table or list)
  • Alt appearances and transformations layout (table or gallery)
  • Content (such as lengthy descriptions of crud, trophy lists, events, etc)
  • The order in which this stuff is placed

so yeah is this stuff worth a discussion or am I just crazy

From a quick look-over, this is what I think should be done: put music lists into tables (looks a lot neater IMO), give a complete cell for the unlocking criteria (we could have a generic "Unlocked from start" for the ones that don't need to be unlocked), put the galleries under the music lists (looks a lot neater IMO), create articles for the other stages (as per MarioWiki:New Articles Policy), include relevant characters' trophies/stickers in the stage articles (I assume it's from when a lot of said characters were merged directly into the stages, but I think that it's relevant enough), include the events that take place there (seems like relevant information to me), and I'm not really sure what to do for the transformations.

btw don't worry i think it's worth discussing

ok sorry for the late reply

Sven said:
From a quick look-over, this is what I think should be done: put music lists into tables (looks a lot neater IMO), give a complete cell for the unlocking criteria (we could have a generic "Unlocked from start" for the ones that don't need to be unlocked), put the galleries under the music lists (looks a lot neater IMO), create articles for the other stages (as per MarioWiki:New Articles Policy), include relevant characters' trophies/stickers in the stage articles (I assume it's from when a lot of said characters were merged directly into the stages, but I think that it's relevant enough), include the events that take place there (seems like relevant information to me), and I'm not really sure what to do for the transformations.

btw don't worry i think it's worth discussing
unless you're crazy too

Those sound like feasible solutions, although in regards to the transformations I think stages with alternate appearances from the start (such as Spear Pillar and Smashville) should use the table coding whereas other stages which transition through multiple backgrounds (i.e. Lylat Cruise, WarioWare Inc, Pokemon Stadium 2, Castle Siege) should use a gallery.

However, one thing I don't agree with is keeping the trophy/sticker data. If it's leftover from when characters were merged into the stages themselves, then I don't think including it on the stages is necessary. If anything we could just include a character list. Including the Bulborb trophy/sticker data on the Distant Planet article is sorta pushing it imo

Back