Ongoing collab: Adding correct licensing and categories to new files

Shoko

Dry Bowser
Wiki Bureaucrat
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Shokora
On the wiki, one of the usual tasks I set myself on my rounds are to keep up to-date with Special:NewFiles. If possible, time would be spent going through every file, correcting uncoded {{Aboutfile (Template:Aboutfile)}}, adding game categories and licensing (Help:License), as a great number of uploaders don't follow this basic protocol. However, several incorrectly formatted file pages do go unnoticed. It would be wonderful if other users here took the time to keep themselves updated with the most recently uploaded files, and just take a look at a few files where it's most likely that the user may have forgotten to correctly format it (i.e. user history), or just simply double checking. Letting users know what they could improve on is a nice thing to do, but it isn't a must to fulfill this collab's goals.

It's also worth checking up on Special:UncategorizedFiles. Here, many (but not all) of the forgotten files can be found. I cleared a few of them earlier today, but it would be great if we could help each other out as best we could in categorizing/licensing all these files. Thanks y'all!

Sure, I'd be happy to help out. One of my pet peeves on the Wiki is exactly this.

This guy:
Eddie.jpg

This image also happens to be missing {{aboutfile}} as well :mad:

It would be impossible to find sources for images that were uploaded before we started enforcing this standard, but if I see any images (new or old) that are missing {{aboutfile}} or licencing templates then I'll add them in.

Okkie dokkie. But keep in mind that it's not a must for an image to have {{Aboutfile}}. It's preferred, but it's not a priority. Though we should be sure to always maintain accurate categories and licensing for images.

Yessir Mr. YK sir.

Once I get on the wiki (16:45, 29 August 2013), I will add license and categories.. Also, we would have to look at some images and add {{personal-image}} template for personal images. Because a lot are missing it.

EDIT: Cannot we add something about the aboutfile template and categories in the MediaWiki:Uploadtext?

YES THANK YOU FOR MAKING THIS
I can't to anything as I'm blocked since the 8th, but I asked a few people in chat to do this but no one has replied yet

One of the goals of this thread: Special:UncategorizedFiles has been cleared (well, the cache hasn't yet, but the images have been categorized and used). Thanks to all those who helped, now we just need to maintain it.

Somewhat related, but I issued the user Duque an Aboutfile Reminder but he/she continues to upload images without description; do they deserve a reminder?

EDIT: nvmd YK took care of it

I must have read your mind.

Correcting licensing is also high priority, specially when uploading new versions. Because that is the most forgotten thing. Currently I'm working on Category:Game_screenshots, replacing with {{game-sprite}}. but this one (File:Black_Yoshi_Move.gif) stopped me, dunna what we should do with it.. I don't even know if this is fan-made or not. Any clues?

Pretty sure it's fan art considering it says "{{personal-image|SuperYoshi10}}" for its first description.

Sorry for bumping, but Special:UncategorizedFiles has got several files now.. help it?

aand other trouble now is that this special page only covers files that are missing BOTH license AND category. Just asking but if there is a special page or anything that finds -for example- files that are having only one category. that'd be helpful, hmm?

Oh yeah, one thing I do that I haven't really seen other people in is adding the proper summary format to files. (e.g. adding {{aboutfile }} to plain-text summaries, italicizing game names, etc.)

Back