Removing redundant categories

Driftmaster130

Rest in Peace, Walkazo
Every time a new category is made (For example: a game called "blah"), there are often redundant categories left behind. Like if there was a category called "Blah enemies" and it was applied to an enemy article, the categories "Blah" and "enemies" would still be left there and should be removed. This thread is to bring attention to any redundant categories on pages.

@Mariotime11 - Good points. So for further clarification on the goals of this thread, pages should only get the most specific categories. For example, if there was a page which has the category "Luigi's Mansion" and "Luigi's Mansion Items", only the more specific "Luigi's Mansion Items" should get the spot, and the other would be seen as redundant. Sometimes, a game category would be automatically applied because of the navigation template: that's against policy, and removing it would be a separate process: but for this collab. just make sure that the main category isn't coded in the article.

Additionally, the relevant game categories should be below all the rest (in almost every case). Be sure to read up on the full explanations at MarioWiki:Categories.

@Lakituthequick - Those would just be less specific categories. Example: "Category:Luigi's Mansion" and "Category:Enemies" would be redundant when there's "Category:Luigi's Mansion Enemies". That category should also be a subcategory of the two aforementioned categories.

EDIT: Uhh okay he's removed his comment... but we'll keep the info here.

YoshiKong said:
Sometimes, a game category would be automatically applied because of the navigation template: that's against policy, and removing it would be a separate process: but for this collab. just make sure that the main category isn't coded in the article.
I think it would be relevant to the interests of this collab if we actually went and removed the categories from the templates. Actually, that should probably be the first thing we should do.
Otherwise, we'd have to go through every single article in the category, just to make sure that there isn't one article that has the category coded into the article. By removing the category from the template itself, we'd know immediately who the odd ones out are.

@YoshiKong If "Template:Blah" automatically adds "Category:Blah", that category can just be removed as it is listed at the bottom right?

Time Turner said:
I think it would be relevant to the interests of this collab if we actually went and removed the categories from the templates. Actually, that should probably be the first thing we should do.
Otherwise, we'd have to go through every single article in the category, just to make sure that there isn't one article that has the category coded into the article. By removing the category from the template itself, we'd know immediately who the odd ones out are.
No, it's best if we make sure if every page in the main game category is properly categorized. Otherwise, if we has a page which was only relying on the template to categorize it, then it would be difficult to find again if we removed the game category from the template thereafter (this applies to articles where the most specific category is the game one. How will the "odd ones out" distinguish themselves if there is no category to locate them easily? And to seal up a loophole, we can't always rely on the navigation template entries themselves. So therefore, I see it as much more logical to just check all the categories in the main game category (and if there is a template listing a subcategory, such as a list of WarioWare microgames for a specific game, then that would get a separate run-through).

@Mariotime11 - What I said in the above paragraph. Simply removing the category from the template would possibly leave some pages not properly categorized, and sometimes not categorized at all. We need to run through all the pages in the main game category, and see if they comply with the goals of this thread, before the category from the navigation template should be removed. No shortcuts.

I'm going to work on the Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars category, which I did start a few months ago but it's been left unfinished. And then I'll take the Wario Land 4 category after that. The navigation template there already has the category removed, but a lot of the categories on the relevant articles are redundant.

No, he was right to leave it: the point about "cat:LM Enemies" replacing "cat:Enemies" as well as "cat:LM" is worth stating.

Meh, if I had to write out the reference to you, then I would have to rewrite the whole paragraph and put the points of information elsewhere so it all makes sense. Can't it just stay for historical purposes?

But if you really want me to, then I'll do it.

Back