Author Topic: Wiki quote formatting question (solved)  (Read 327 times)

Johnny Five

• No disassemble!
  • Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
  • Number 5 is alive!
    • View Profile
    • Mario RPG Universe
Wiki quote formatting question (solved)
« on: January 22, 2018, 03:14:43 AM »
I'm updating my userpage on MarioWiki and the quote formatting is bugging me. I don't want "User:" to appear next to my name after the quote (I already have the page set to omit that part in the header) yet anything else generates a redlink. I try to make it a fake link but that screws up other parts of the formatting (and in honesty I just would rather have no links at all)

For example I'm getting stuff like this-

[[Fawfulthegreat64|Fawfulthegreat64]], [[Super Mario Boards]]

Here's the formatting I'm trying to use, and I've tried several variations:
Code: [Select]
{{quote|I'd love to see Toads cannibalizing each other.|{{fake link|Fawfulthegreat64}}|[https://www.marioboards.com/ Super Mario Boards]}}
Can someone tell me where I'm doing something wrong?

Edit: nevermind, that's what {{LLquote}} is for
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:34:18 AM by Felonius Gru »

Lord Bowser

• Super High School Level Bowser
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • "It's funny because we're all living in a simulation and free will is a lie."
    • View Profile
Re: Wiki quote formatting question
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 03:28:23 AM »
the correct formatting should be [[User:Fawfulthegreat64|Fawfulthegreat64]]

for future ref, if you want to link somewhere on the wiki but have the link text be different, its always [[full article name|link text]]. for example, if i wanted to link to the bowser article, but wanted the text to read "lord bowser", id need to type [[Bowser|Lord Bowser]]. the full article name must include any prefixes, such as user: or user talk:

i hope that answers your question

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

Johnny Five

• No disassemble!
  • Star Spirit
  • Fawfulthegreat64
  • Number 5 is alive!
    • View Profile
    • Mario RPG Universe
Re: Wiki quote formatting question
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 03:33:30 AM »
Actually I got a conflict when editing this thread since I figured out the issue :P

I'm aware of that (I use it sometimes) but it didn't work the same in the {{quote}} template. I figured out after posting this thread that I could use the {{LLquote}} template instead to avoid this issue though, so once again I demonstrate asking for help moments before figuring it out like and feeling like a moron. Thanks for your help though :)