I wrote lyrics to song, but I can't sing?

Paper Mario

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/They
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
So I wrote my own words to Parry Gripp's song "Neon Pegasus" and removed the vocals from the song, but I was shocked when I tried to sing it, as I repeatedly went out of sync and my voice faltered horribly a few times. What should I do? I want to record this song since it is something important to me that I want to send to someone but how can I do it if I can't sing? Should I get someone else to sing it?

The fact that you tried to sing it should make it special enough.

I know but I personally don't want to send her a terrible recording. I want it to sound great.

I guess I need to practice. My mom is a musician so she'll help me.

Practice makes perfect, but remember you are your biggest critic

Try to sing your version over the original version to match the rhythm and pitch. When you think you can do this well, record yourself over the instrumental version

You can get great instructions, and I was in a choir for a while. First step: Do not sing a pitch too high for your range (if you don't know your range try and figure it out, but you can lower the pitch in the song) Second Step: Drink a lot of water before and after singing Step 3: You need to remember not to wear out your voice, there is a fine line between singing and screaming. Step 4: Just try, some people aren't the best at all types of singing. Find your comfort zone. Step 5: Good luck!

If you're heart-set on recording yourself, then having decent recording equipment will work wonders. A directional mic is best but they can cost quite a bit, but a decent Skype-mic could work if it sounds clear enough. Record in a quiet room without much echo (recording-hack: you can stick a bunch of egg cartons on the wall to help if you have a really echo-y room, because the sound bounces off the sides of the carton and gets trapped). Don't use a laptop or webcam mic because they suck.

To help with pitch, you can use Autotuning software, or you can record your voice heaps of times and edit them together in a way that sounds kinda decent.

If you really don't trust your singing, you can always hire a singer (maybe you have a muso friend who sounds alright), or maybe try something like Vocaloids (computer-generated singers).

Best of luck!

Back