Collab: Get rid of the years redirects

Banon

Koopa Troopa
A lot of articles link to the years subsection in the List of Mario games by date article using redirects. Of course, it's easier to type "[[2010]]" than "[[List of Mario games by date#2010|2010]]".

But our policy tell us not to use redirects.

So I create this collab thread to replace all the redirects in the following articles into proper links:

Please tell me when a year is done, so I can strike it out :)

Thanks for reading.

Took care of 1981.

And 1982.

Ah. I've just run into a snag: The Saturday Supercade (The_Saturday_Supercade) was a cartoon that ran from 1983 to 1984, and naturally has links to those years. However, all the years redirect to List of Mario games by date (List of Mario games by date), which, obviously, only covers games. It would seem misleading, in my opinion, if we simply changed those links to what the redirects link to, but we don't exactly have a better place to link the year to. Any ideas on what to do?

Banon said:
I will take care of most recent ones in a few minutes.
There are going to be at least two years that show up on most articles, since we have both most recent and first appearances. Besides, there are really too many links to the more modern years. We should just start from the earliest and leave the most recent years for last.

In the meantime, I've gotten rid of all the links to 1983 and 1984 excluding the aforementioned Saturday Supercade article.

Time Turner said:
Ah. I've just run into a snag: The Saturday Supercade (The_Saturday_Supercade) was a cartoon that ran from 1983 to 1984, and naturally has links to those years. However, all the years redirect to List of Mario games by date (List of Mario games by date), which, obviously, only covers games. It would seem misleading, in my opinion, if we simply changed those links to what the redirects link to, but we don't exactly have a better place to link the year to. Any ideas on what to do?
Write this down: Create the year pages covering all Mario/Nintendo goings-on of that year or a list page covering all media by year (not just games).

We should just remove any link for those cartoons. See porplemontage's comment.
And yes, you're right, I will begin... by the beginning. I wanted to edit the most recent ones to avoid edit conflicts, buy you're right.

EDIT: There is the same problem for portrayals (e.g.: "2007" in the Bowser article)

porplemontage said:
Time Turner said:
Write this down: Create the year pages covering all Mario/Nintendo goings-on of that year or a list page covering all media by year (not just games).
We could do both, couldn't we? Convert List of Mario games by date into an all-purpose article, date-wise, and convert the redirects into Mario-based timelines with major and relevant Nintendo events placed in there as well. Of course, some years have more going for them than others, so if we go with the former option, should we have an article for each year, or should some of them be grouped up, or should all of them be grouped by decade, or what?

The years redirects problem has a little brother: the systems redirects. I will make a full list sooner or later.

Time Turner said:
We could do both, couldn't we? Convert List of Mario games by date into an all-purpose article, date-wise, and convert the redirects into Mario-based timelines with major and relevant Nintendo events placed in there as well. Of course, some years have more going for them than others, so if we go with the former option, should we have an article for each year, or should some of them be grouped up, or should all of them be grouped by decade, or what?
Mario games by date wouldn't need to be combined since the date articles would solve the problem and the games by date page serves a purpose as a games-centric page. I think ideally we'd want an article for each year including a list of events but they would also be articles (not just lists) that talk about the year from a historical perspective as it relates to Mario/Nintendo.

Banon said:
So, should we continue to edit all the years redirect?
I guess not, because that would be counter-productive if we do year pages. Do you want to think about year pages? Do you want to do it by decade so there's more to work with? That might be a good compromise, then the redirect-fixing will be to 1980s, 1990s, etc.

porplemontage said:
Banon said:
So, should we continue to edit all the years redirect?
I guess not, because that would be counter-productive if we do year pages. Do you want to think about year pages? Do you want to do it by decade so there's more to work with? That might be a good compromise, then the redirect-fixing will be to 1980s, 1990s, etc.
I would like the idea of separating them by decade if it weren't for that some decades have had a lot more activity than others, and it seems like the articles would end up too crammed.

They may be "long" but don't necessarily have to be crammed. It's probably a good idea to just start with decades and then split later if the articles become substantial. It's fine if some pages remain in decade-form while others are split to years since it all just depends on how much information we have.

I was about to do this work, but I have to agree to Porple's suggestion: the "Years" articles should be dedicated more to the whole media of Mario (and other series covered in the wiki) than just the year of the Mario game releases. Reverse this process, or change redirects to by decades now?

If that's ever installed, it would also be neat to remove uppercases in subsections titles, as "Names in Other Languages", "In-Game Text", "References in Later Games".

Back