Nintendo to announce next console this fiscal year

Pink Cat

Not always pink, not always a cat
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
I mean, we all could have confidently guessed that the new console would be announced later this year (and that there would be a direct in june) but wow. It's almost comical to actually hear Nintendo admit the existence of a new console when we literally knew it was coming. They almost seem a little bashful about it, I find this somewhat funny

Does anyone know when Nintendo's fiscal year ends so we have a better idea of when the announcement could be? I thought I remembered something about it being around February but now I'm not sure. On a side note, I think the September Direct could be a good time to announce it.

Does anyone know when Nintendo's fiscal year ends so we have a better idea of when the announcement could be? I thought I remembered something about it being around February but now I'm not sure. On a side note, I think the September Direct could be a good time to announce it.
March of next year

I've seen some reports that this person has mistranslated stuff in the past and a more accurate translation would be 'Switch successor is the appropriate way to describe it' and not 'Switch next model'.
'Switch successor' and 'Switch next model' are two very different things, the former being what I would hope for

"Switch next model" makes me think that this next console will be something similar to the Nintendo Switch, but also different. The comparison I can make is the Wii and Wii U. The Wii U kept Wii Remotes as controllers and offered backwards compatibility, but it added the Gamepad.

Whatever this next console will be, I'm excited to find out!

So anyways I'm the only one on these boards who pays attentions to the leaks and rumors about the Switch 2?

I'm not saying I 100% trust these leaks to 100% be accurate and happen because plans can and do change, but when you get leaks corroborated by multiple sources, all of whom have a pretty good track record of being accurate about things, it does lead more credence to them being true (or at least true when they heard them).

Anyways if anyone cares, current reports are that, when it comes to controller backwards compatibility, you'll be able to use every controller for the Switch on Nintendo's next gen console except for Joy-Cons since the latest reports are that the Switch 2 Joy-Cons will connect via magnets to the console and not via the sliding rails of the OG model. (I assume you'd still be able to use Switch 1 Joy-Cons wirelessly but you won't be able to attach them to the Switch 2 and use them in handheld mode. I'm honestly fine with that if it means that the new Joy-Cons don't get fucking drift. HALL EFFECT STICKS PLEASE NINTENDO).

'Switch successor' and 'Switch next model' are two very different things, the former being what I would hope for
Eh, either one would be fine. Either it'll be an improvement of the Switch or a console that is so much more powerful than it is. Hey, if it's a console that's completely different from it and so much better and NOT backwards compatible with Switch 1 at least I'll also have a Switch 1 so I can play the Switch 1 games if I can't play them on the new console. And there's several good Switch games. 👍

Back