Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions

I mean BIS worked fine with 2D and overhead gameplay, sure you had Bowser's different gameplay but M&L have different abilities in the Dream World in DT anyway. I think DT would've been more boring without the dream theme or something equally magical (space travel, another time travel game, something like that). At that point the only game with a similar theme was PIT, and while good, they didn't go as far as they could've with it. DT does more with the dream mechanics IMO. And the dreamy music is fantastic.

It's not worth just going through the same level twice but in 2D and minor cosmetic differences.

LeftyGreenMario said:
And yes, don't judge a Mario for its bad story-telling either as story-telling is not its strong department just like how fishes aren't great at climbing trees.

I will however judge a Mario RPG (Mario & Luigi, Paper Mario, Mario RPG) on its story and characters, because that's a large part of what makes the RPGs what they are.

The characters from the RPGs are loved by MANY fans for a reason.

Mcmadness said:
LeftyGreenMario said:
What parts are especially padded? I know the forced tutorials jack up the hour, but does the game's pacing also just twiddle around too?

Well here is a prime example.

Bowser and Antasma just stole the Dream Stone and flew off. But before you give chase you gotta find out where they went, in order to do that you have to do a 45 minute or so dream level and then fight a giant battle.

After finding out where they went you discover you can't go there unless you join part of a mountain climbing tour, but before you do that you gotta find the missing tour guide which requires you to explore the local city a bit, but once you find him hes asleep so you gotta go through another long dream world segment just to wake the jerk up and in that dream sequence the tour guide won't allow you to confront him directly until you fight his 4 proteges, each with their own battling condition.

The game is basically a whole lot of "before you do that you gotta do this" and it gets really tiresome.

That's a fair criticism, but I at least commend the exploration/plot movement actually being based around a changing variety of events in the plot. Rather than the "collect 7 ____ from the 7 different areas".

Not that it matters since it eventually devolves into that anyway, forcing you to revisit every location AGAIN.

I don't recall Dream Team requiring you to collect the 5 or 7 tropey things, and if so it was likely very short.

Perhaps you could jog my memory?

TheSuperStarSaga said:
I don't recall Dream Team requiring you to collect the 5 or 7 tropey things, and if so it was likely very short.

Perhaps you could jog my memory?

The pieces of the Dream Bed.

Ohh, I forgot all about that. I guess that counts as collecting 7 ____ but it was rather short. I subjectively found it fun.

Glowsquid said:
TheSuperStarSaga said:
Because they made the Koopa sprite from the ground up for Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions, they could have easily gave them flight suits while they were at it. So it's not a resource management/time/budget or even a laziness issue. They deliberately choose to make them generic Koopas instead of flight suit Koopas.

They created one new asset so this mean they can't possibly skimp out on any other aspects of the game's graphics and are consciously denying gamers the iconic koopa flight suit because this was way too bold and radical for a remake of a game where one of the boss is a genderbent bowser with visible breasts

This is obviously miyamoto's fault because internet message boards have conditioned me to blame old Japanese men for any midly upseting development.

Your dry sarcasm lacks facts to back it up.

When we've seen Miyamoto being against story in Mario, Scolding a developer for adding in story to Galaxy 2, Telling Intelligent Systems not to give Sticker Star story and original characters, Telling Intelligent Systems not to give Color Splash story and original characters... can fans really be blamed for thinking he's the reason why we've seen a lack of original characters in the RPGs lately? I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

These are facts. Given that we haven't seen original characters as of late and an emphasis on generic Toads, Koopas, and Goombas; can people really be blamed for coming to this conclusion.

I just hope you can see where I'm coming from after recent games like Sticker Star, Paper Jam, and Color Splash. And why it looks like a trend.

--------

On another note, while the aforementioned trend makes it seems likely Miyamoto is the reason, there is a chance he might not be the reason why the flight suit Koopas were removed. Mcmadness made a good point that it could have been done to match the Bowsers Minions mode where the Koopas look generic, so they can consistently look like the same Koopas. A decision that I hate, since they all could have been made consistently to be flight suit koopas instead, but it's still a very likely scenario. If that's the case, once again, it is AlphaDream deliberately choosing to make them generic Koopas.

So even in that scenario, you're still wrong. It's clearly deliberate. Especially considering they had the time to add a leaf sprout onto the troopeas, there's no reason they couldn't have added a flight hat onto the Koopas.

PJ was a conscious decision on the devs part

And while I'm at it IS agreed with Miyamoto so they have as much "blame" as he does.

PJ, yes, was one exception. So the facts are currently stacked 4 to 1. I do want to hear Glowsquid's response though.

TheSuperStarSaga said:
you're still wrong
I don't think any of us have enough solid facts to make a claim like this, on either side. And at this point I personally see Tanabe as just as much to blame as Miyamoto, if not more. If a murderer blamed his actions on pressure from his boss, would that clear his name? Obviously this is nowhere near as extreme a case as that, but same principle.

Dream Team
MLDT_Red_Yoshi.png

Paper Jam
MLPJ_Red_Yoshi.png

You see the difference between these two, right? And Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions will probably make a different sprite, too. Anyways. It would look kind of weird that during the Bowser's Minions part Koopas to not look like the amiibo. And the amiibo would have to be generic, both because future installments of games in general will have that to work with and it would be much better if its generic Koopa Troopa, but also because flight suits on amiibo of a Koopa would look weird when compared to Bowser, Boo, and Goomba. Yes, one can argue that they are generic in the original, but Bowser was also Bowletta during the game. But, would you want a Bowletta amiibo?

That's pretty much it. The more extreme cases would be unlocked entire game modes away like Mario Party and Splatoon.

TheSuperStarSaga said:
Your dry sarcasm lacks facts to back it up.

"Shigeru Miyamoto asked the developers of Paper Mario Sticker Star to not add original characters to the game" is a fact, "Shigeru Miyamoto asked the developers of Paper Mario Sticker Star to not add original characters to the game and that's why a game released five years later lack a very specific sprite", isn't.

If Miyamoto/Tanabe/whatever still had the same "no new characters" on this game, then why would they greenlight a remake of one of the most oddball in the Mario franchise and let it keeps all of its original characters with their designs and (as far as we can tell) role intact? Why would they keep the oddball "beanish" enemies instead of replacing them with more traditional Mario enemies? Why would they not only keep Fawful and his distinctive speaking patterns, but give him more material and exposre in a new gameplay mode added to the remake? Why would they allow the return of Private Goomp (ie: an "original Mario RPG character") who didn't exist in the original game in said new mode? If the objection was specifically over twisting the design of a pre-existing Mario character, why would they object to fairly plain situation-appropriate clothes while still keeping the sprite of Mario in his undies, and showcase that in the remake's reveal trailer? And if we work under the assumption they didn't do that but still objected to that flight aviator sprite because it's apparently too radical and creative twist on the franchise, then why that specifically over all the things mentioned above.

So even in that scenario, you're still wrong. It's clearly deliberate

They deliberatly did not make something? Yeah? You seem to be operating on the logic they made brand new sprites for the remake and were denied their use instead of simply not creating them in the first place. The cost (in time, effort, or money) of not making something is always less than making something.

I just hope you can see where I'm coming from after recent games like Sticker Star, Paper Jam, and Color Splash. And why it looks like a trend.

I think blaming the abscence of a minor sprite on "miyamoto's hatred of original characters" (again without considering the far larger amount of non-standard stuff that has been kept) is pretty weakand you haven't produced any evidences to make me think otherwise.

If the game comes out, and like, Bowser is the final boss and kills Cackletta ten minutes into the story then yeah sure bitch away.

Monster said:
What do a lot of amiibo do beyond some throwaway game unlocks and a sweet figure?
Some badass Hyrule Warriors weapons, that's for sure. Spinner is amazing.

Also let you dress up like other Links in Breath of the Wild. That's a ton of fun. If only I had an OoT Link amiibo.

I honestly wonder if the game retained Jen Taylor's voice clips of Peach from the original or did they have Samantha Kelly re-record them. Jen Taylor's voice clips have been reused more recently in Mario Kart Arcade GP DX and Mario Sports Superstars (along with using Samantha Kelly's voice and being filtered in the case Pink Gold Peach) so there could be that possibility. I know that Jen doesn't voice Peach anymore but she voices the Cortana voice assistant in Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 10. They were lucky to have Leslie Swan reprise her role for Super Mario 64 DS though.

Jet Set Red Yoshi said:
Dream Team
MLDT_Red_Yoshi.png

Paper Jam
MLPJ_Red_Yoshi.png

You see the difference between these two, right? And Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions will probably make a different sprite, too.

Seeing the existing footage, Mario, Luigi and Peach's sprites (at least) seem to be taken straight from Dream Team – not saying that's a bad thing, I personally find those sprites very pretty; but I think Paper Jam's sprites are different mostly to compensate for the change in camera perspective so that the paper characters wouldn't look weirdly diagonal or bent backwards.

They got back the old Dry Bones.

WOjMtFl.jpg

I guess they secretly added it while Miyamoto's eyes are averted?

Back