What obscure/forgotten characters would you like to see in a new Mario game?

Because Mario isn't a story driven franchise so it's easier to get personality out of one character than 7.

Jr is basically the koopalings but with the fat trimmed off, and this is coming from a guy who likes the koopalings.

Even with story-driven franchises it's far easier to have a focus on one character than 7 of them.

TheCapeLuigi said:
I don't know how we went from the likes of the Koopalings, who are clever, devious, and mischevious, and the Koopa Kids, to Bowser Jr. Feels like an insult to me.
I don't think the transition from bland, boring Bowser thingies to a kid who took advantage of Piantas' gullibility and even their freaking judicial system AND somehow knew Nintendo's reluctance to give Mario a personality to allow him to defend himself while he was in court and thus ruining Mario's vacation is bad.

LeftyGreenMario said:
I don't think the transition from bland, boring Bowser thingies to a kid who took advantage of Piantas' gullibility and even their freaking judicial system AND somehow knew Nintendo's reluctance to give Mario a personality to allow him to defend himself while he was in court and thus ruining Mario's vacation is bad.

Once again, I mistaken my indifference for hatred.

I'll just let this video sum up my thoughts.

Baby Luigi said:
Even with story-driven franchises it's far easier to have a focus on one character than 7 of them.

Indeed. Now had the koopalings appeared in say, SM64 they could have at least gotten those brief text boxes like the other bosses did to give them a smidgen of personality but they never appeared.

Though that makes me wonder just what an N64 model koopaling would look like?

I don't know but I'm morbidly interested. I love the polygonal crappy N64 models.

Somebody with skill get on it!

Me?

Uh, I'm too busy at the moment X[

*cracks whip*

GET ON WITH IT

The other human characters would be interesting. Especially Azalea. Imagine her and Daisy messing with people because of how alike they look.

Yeah those weird human characters are...weird. I don't like how they're roster padding in the Mario Tennis/Golf but I could see them working out as NPCs in other titles. Mario series does need more human characters in general.

J-Yoshi64 said:
The other human characters would be interesting. Especially Azalea. Imagine her and Daisy messing with people because of how alike they look.

I actually think the human characters were pretty neat, but in recent titles they seem... Unfitting, really.

Just look at Mark:

Billy_NES_Golf.png

Now look at how he looks now:

Mark_MTPT.png

He went from looking like an actual Mario character I'd see in a Mario game, to... that.

Still, I'd like to see the humans in the Tennis games return, but I'd prefer their original debut forms than their modern ones. And Steve just deserves to be in more recent Mario game because, well, just look at him:

Steve_NESGolf.png

I seriously need to figure out how to resize images.

Well Camelot did make Golden Sun, so that could explain some of the..."anime-ness" of the characters and why they don't exactly fit with the Mario universe.

Mark's old design was good. Now he looks like a SBK: Snowboard Kids character. A.k.a good design but later ruined by HIP AND EDGY teen angst anime.

I also want the humans back because they seem more intriguing than the Miis and it's a great way to include more humans in Mario games in general, and who knows, we can get the next Rosalina or something.

LeftyGreenMario said:
TheCapeLuigi said:
I don't know how we went from the likes of the Koopalings, who are clever, devious, and mischevious, and the Koopa Kids, to Bowser Jr. Feels like an insult to me.
You don't like them ≠ bland and boring,
Bowser Jr., in terms of design, can be considered even more "bland and boring" than the Koopalings since he's heavily based on Baby Bowser with a distinct lack of peculiar traits except for a bandana, and the redesign of Baby Bowser and the appearance of a similar bandana on Nabbit's mouth only made things worse.
And let's face it, it was Super Mario Sunshine who helped immensely launching Bowser Jr. as a valid character (and I'm glad it did), in Super Mario Galaxy his personality was already much less interesting, and things went only worse from there in the Super Mario games. The Koopalings were introduced in a moment in which they simply couldn't have their Super Mario Sunshine.

Anyway, I'm not sure that Nintendo will ever try to fix this "personality problem" with the Koopalings, because as you said, developing seven characters is incredibly hard, even just in terms of models and animations, let alone personality and creating a plot around that personality, I now think that this burden of developing seven characters was one of the main reasons why Bowser Jr. was introduced in the first place, and admittedly the "current story" supports this idea, too - you just state that Bowser has one son so you're not as forced in developing seven additional characters as you would be if you stated that Bowser has eight children.

TheCapeLuigi said:
I'm pretty sure that's not why I made this thread. It seems as if your post was made with a "game idea" mindset and not really a "the character I'd want to see return" mindset. I'm not really sure.
other people: let's re-implement [X] by doing [Y]
reaction: good idea
me: let's re-implement [X] by doing [Y], but tweak it to make the Mario universe feel more expansive
reaction: go away, this isn't the right thread

seriously!?!

tardograd2 said:
me: let's re-implement [X] by doing [Y], but tweak it to make the Mario universe feel more realistic

tumblr_n6jc1vstVo1rc7zl1o2_400.gif

Keep in mind, this is Mario, which is a cartoon video game series for children, and nobody wants that to change.

The problem was that I felt that your post had unnessecary additions, like the overpowered description that wasn't really needed.

TheCapeLuigi said:
tardograd2 said:
me: let's re-implement [X] by doing [Y], but tweak it to make the Mario universe feel more realistic

tumblr_n6jc1vstVo1rc7zl1o2_400.gif

Keep in mind, this is Mario, which is a cartoon video game series for children, and nobody wants that to change.

The problem was that I felt that your post had unnessecary additions, like the overpowered description that wasn't really needed.
I edited

tardograd2 said:

If you're going to edit it, then what IS your point? Do you want it to feel more realistic or more expansive? What's the goal here? And besides, isn't the Mario universe already expanded enough with the massive amounts of games and media made for it?

Why would we need overpowered versions of random enemies which again, are not specifically stated to be obscure in any way at all, because you never even specified what they were anyways?

By the way, most obscure things come from that media and the spinoffs and the like, so taking something that's already obscure and making it resistant to a bunch of random things will surely not expand the Mario universe anymore than it's already been expanded now.

Mario needs more realistic environments.

When they did that, Mario Kart 8's race tracks was the result.

Bring back Bones. Everybody's favourite classic Mario character.

TheCapeLuigi said:
Idk, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash has more realistic lighting than the previous Mario games and I'd like more of that. Of course, that's not exactly what you mean, but realism should be appreciated, not demonized, just as long as you preserve the spirit and integrity.

LeftyGreenMario said:
Idk, Mario Tennis: Ultra Smash has more realistic lighting than the previous Mario games and I'd like more of that. Of course, that's not exactly what you mean, but realism should be appreciated, not demonized, just as long as you preserve the spirit and integrity.

For me, the word "realistic" has kind of been tainted, because every game developer now-a-days wants to make the most "realistic" game on the market.

And, they have a tendency to make very bad design decisions just so that it's realistic.

No, it's been tainted because developers think realism is being gritty and monochromatic, and that happens to too many games in the triple AAA video game industry

Back