The Mario & Luigi thread.

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
For everything Mario & Luigi.

The best rpg series in the franchise imo.

The characters are better.

And yeah, since there aren't a whole lot of Mario RPGs to choose from anyway, it's not hard topping Paper Mario nowadays.

The characters are better and it gets the overall tone of the franchise better too.

And it gives lesser Mario characters more significant roles, especially Partners in time.

Mcmadness said:
And it gives lesser Mario characters more significant roles, especially Partners in time.

I think Partners in Time has the most brilliant concept ever.

(not talking about the alien invasion btw but I do like it too)

It's not my favourite but I like it. I tell you I missed Egadd from the sequels too.

Mcmadness said:
The characters are better and it gets the overall tone of the franchise better too.

Yeah, I think I like Mario & Luigi more than Paper Mario. I feel like it should expand more upon the twin brother relationship though, but that's something to be accomplished best with dialogue, something Nintendo/Alphadream is really reluctant to do. But really, they act less as twins and more like simple older and younger siblings.

Mcmadness said:
It's not my favourite but I like it. I tell you I missed Egadd from the sequels too.
Or just E. Gadd in general. It's usually the spinoffs that like to make interesting characters reappear rather than the mainstream games for some reason. But that being said, I don't know why E. Gadd doesn't appear anymore.

I think characters from other games, like Tumble, H. Queen, Whittles, Lumas, and others would look neat in Mario & Luigi style, but I'm not counting on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rosalina appears in the next Mario & Luigi

Baby Luigi said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Rosalina appears in the next Mario & Luigi
She appears in freaking everything, and I didn't mention her in my wants for this very reason.

I was hoping EGadd would appear more since Dark Moon came out. Alas.

Some characters I'd like to see would be

Bowser jr (as more then just a bonus boss)
Captain Toad
Big Bob-omb
Gooper Blooper
Boom Boom
Pom Pom
Chief Chilly
Piantas and Nokis

That's off the top of my head.

He's only relevant to like half the series. It gets along fine without him.

Hell didn't Partners in Time did well without him? He might as well not been in the game at all.

Other than him saying ''go here'' he was pretty much irrelevant to the plot.

So for half the series it gets fine without him and since he's dead it will continue to do fine without him.

He went through an arc within the series though. A bigger one than any other M&L character. If he does retire from the Mario & Luigi series he should at least continue to live on in the other (multiplayer) spinoffs, where canon doesn't matter.

Also without Fawful in PIT, BIS would have made much less sense.

I would hardly call going from minion to villain much of an arc. He's dead and will never appear in anything else.

It's not like BiS makes much sense anyhow.

Fawful said:
He went through an arc within the series though. A bigger one than any other M&L character. If he does retire from the Mario & Luigi series he should at least continue to live on in the other (multiplayer) spinoffs, where canon doesn't matter.

Also without Fawful in PIT, BIS would have made much less sense.
How? I know he's plotting and all, but PiT might have well never happened aside from a few minor references and all. Hell, Kylie Koopa doesn't even seem to remember Mario and Luigi in Dream Team.

It was more than just going from minion to main villain.

He became self-aware. The cutscene before his last battle suggests that he began to realize Cackletta was using him and would've betrayed her had he not been defeated there. After his defeat he was humiliated and swore revenge on Mario and Luigi. He was planning his return in Partners in Time and carried it out in Bowser's Inside Story. Notice that he never mentions Cackletta after Superstar Saga. It's because he's no longer loyal to her and isn't trying to avenge her. He realized he could do what she did on his own.

That's more backstory than Bowser has even gotten.

That's just a more wordy version of minion to main villain and it's still not much.

Also that's not backstory, backstory happens in the past. Bowser being raised by Kamek is backstory, baby peach and toadsworth is backstory, the events of yoshi's island, that kind of junk.

Also, am I the only one who wants Cackletta back? I mean, I feel like she and Fawful go so well together. I don't pay attention to the story, though, so I don't know their real relationship. But I always imagined a queen and her loyal follower. I remember finding it kind of weird that Fawful was there without Cackletta.

I wouldn't be opposed to it but she's been dead for quite sometime now.

Yeah, I know, but I'd like her to make a comeback, especially if Fawful needs a comeback. Again, it feels like something is missing if it's just Fawful. After all, Fawful has ties to Cackletta.

Well if she did come back I'd like to see her stand on her own.

But that's unlikely as villains usually come in pairs in this series.

What's left of them is still locked up in Bowser's castle so it's possible.

Back