Super Mario Sunshine is weird.

2257 said:
...i was really hoping for things that were somehow a function of the fact that it was a handheld remake, since his premise was that because 64ds was a "limiting" handheld remake of mario 64, a future handheld remake of sms would "not work too well"
Oh, well then I got nothing.

were the analog shoulder buttons actually useful?

i know what they did. i'm asking if it was ever useful. i can't think of any situation in which it was actually helpful

Being able to control how much you sprayed did wonders for solving certain puzzles as well as conserving water and chasing shadow mario

like what puzzles? and when was conserving water even vaguely important? water was everywhere. how did it help at all with shadow mario?

Flipping panels in the hotel, lily pads and boats, levels where there was little water and you couldn't spray and move at the same time if you held the button all the way down.

I thought the water spraying has only two thresholds: light and strong. It's just the tapping giving the emulation of having more than two.

no it does actually have multiple levels of water spray, for example if you just barely hold the button down you get the animation for spraying but nothing actually comes out.

Toy Chica said:
Maybe it's a strange representation of how they can't swim or something
Graphic drowning animations would have been so much better. Like for Mario when you're underwater too long or touch the pollution in Noki Bay, iirc.

Mcmadness said:
Flipping panels in the hotel

was entirely based on luck

Mcmadness said:
lily pads and boats

just tap the button

Mcmadness said:
levels where there was little water

didn't exist

Mcmadness said:
and you couldn't spray and move at the same time if you held the button all the way down.

so just use first person mode if you need to aim

yes my ability to avoid hitting other the other super sensitive panels that I don't want flipped is entirely based around luck, just tapping the button would still send out a full stream of water pushing the boats more than I'd like it to, Pianta village, hotel Delfino, the secret levels of return visits where fludd isn't stolen, and my ability to aim won't help the fact that shadow mario runs away from you out of range the moment water touches him or worse in levels like the beach where he never stops moving

it's not the rotation I'm referring to, it's the fact that they flip from the slightest impact of water, even tiny droplets

it will still just barely accelerate if you just barely spray water, more importantly it makes making slight adjustments in direction much easier.

in very specific locations that if you ran out you'd have to backtrack to, and believe me, that can be really annoying when your climbing that huge ass tree

not true, there were ice blocks you'd occasionally have to spray

which would make controlling the boat and other things that require turning quickly more annoying than it needs to be.

in short yes, sunshine could technically be played on the 3ds but it would be so gimped that it would be a mistake to put it on that. Not to mention that tapping analog nub thing just wouldn't feel as good for Mario's maneuvers like the spin jump

bowser guy is apparently uninterested in continuing to defend his position, but just in case there's anyone else who isn't convinced i'm making this post anyway

7lJL5Jq.png

his original argument was that the ability to modulate the force of the water gun's stream using the gamecube's analog shoulder buttons is vital to gameplay in some way. what is meant by modulating force is that pressing the shoulder button a little bit creates stream 1, that pressing it halfway creates stream 2, and that pressing it all the way creates stream 3. i replied that there is no actual instance in which it is vital. after testing i discovered that there's an even more severe problem with his argument, which is that modulation of the force of the water gun isn't possible at all

in fact, what happens when you press the shoulder button to any degree is that the gun fires with enough force to generate stream 3 for a set period of time. after that time is up, the force of the stream rapidly declines, causing it to become stream 1. stream 1 continues to be generated for a second or two, and then the gun stops firing entirely. the important point is that the degree to which the shoulder button is depressed only controls the length of the time period during which stream 3 is generated. the force of the stream is constant and not under the player's control. in other words, there is no way for the player to sustain firing streams 2 or 1. therefore, using the gamecube's shoulder buttons to aim precisely or conserve water is also impossible

since everyone got along without these features on the gamecube, they will be equally unnecessary on the 3ds and there is no barrier to porting the game

Back