Super Mario Sunshine is weird.

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
It's not as weird as the Super Mario land games but in comparison to its other 3D brothers it stands out as a real oddball.

It lacks a lot of the standard Mario enemies, it's very slow to start off and for whatever reason tries to set up some mystery involving shadow Mario there are no question blocks, FLUDD, yoshi vomits juice, the characters talk and it ditches the more fantasy oriented locations in favour of a more down to earth setting with Isle Delfino

I like it too, it's different but still manages to keep the overall feel of the series.

It's one of my favourite games ever actually and I'd love a remake in the same way as SM64DS that improves specific aspects as well as adding content.

Just not on a handheld this time.

yeah it'd seem like a handheld remake wouldnt work too well for sunshine, sure sm64ds wasnt bad per say but it was very limiting.

Same goes for a sms remake for 3ds imo

as much as i love sms though blue coins can go eat it, as well as boat controls, and that freaking leaf mission where you have to get the red coins.

As opposed to a remake I'd love a sequel to Sunshine, complete with voice acting and everything.

But while the original was quite interesting in concept, I found the "Secret" levels (and the pachinko machine level) too difficult to bother finishing the game. Viewing footage of Corona Mountain also turned me off. And I'd also prefer a sequel ditch the blue coins.

Toy Chica said:
Yoshi dissolving in water was pretty dang strange too.

The excuse for that being it's a special breed of yoshi native to the area.......which doesn't really make any sense.

Gardevoir said:
as much as i love sms though blue coins can go eat it, as well as boat controls, and that freaking leaf mission where you have to get the red coins.

Blue coins wouldn't have been so bad if there was more consistency to how they were hidden, plus a radar or something.

It's because of those coins and those boats/leaf that I've never 100% the game in the entire decade I've owned it.

Well something causes them to die instantly if they go in water. Or teleport away to be less morbid.

If I had one issue with the game it's how it ends.

Corona mountain is a frustrating level, it's too short and it has that awful boat. But a cool climactic fight with Bowser would make up for it right? However once you get to the end you are greeted with this...

And then we have fludd randomly dying and Mario crying over it.

There were no Goombas.
That was a big mistake.
Also, the Bob-ombs looked weird.

The boss fights were also incredibly odd. We had

Petey Piranha- a walking Piranha Plant that spits up and flies. You have to squirt water in its mouth until its stomach is full and then pound on it.
Gooper Blooper- a giant Blooper with a cork in its mouth that attacks you with tentacles and appears thrice. You have to dismember it and launch it away.
Wiggler- A giant green Wiggler that runs around. You have to spray plants that make shapes come out of the sand, which injures Wiggler, and then pound on it.
Mecha Bowser- A giant robot Bowser that shoots Bullet Bills at you. You have to ride a rollercoaster and shoot rockets at it.
Phantamanta- A ghost manta that splits into smaller ghost mantas when sprayed. You have to spray all the parts until they dissolve.
King Boo- Except not King Boo. A ghost with a giant tongue that spins a slot machine. You have to get three fruits, throw a chili, then throw another fruit, then repeat three times.
Eely-Mouth- An eel that shoots purple from its eyes and tries to eat you. You have to brush its teeth.
Bowser- He sits in a hot tub and his son shoots Bullet Bills at you. You have to destroy the hot tub.

Gardevoir said:
yeah it'd seem like a handheld remake wouldnt work too well for sunshine, sure sm64ds wasnt bad per say but it was very limiting.

did you have a problem with 64ds that wasn't a function of the awful controls? because i really think the 3ds analog stick thing would fix that

I wish Mecha Bowser would come back. The real one, not that toy thing in galaxy.

2257 said:
Gardevoir said:

did you have a problem with 64ds that wasn't a function of the awful controls? because i really think the 3ds analog stick thing would fix that
The "prize" at the top of the castle was terrible.

...i was really hoping for things that were somehow a function of the fact that it was a handheld remake, since his premise was that because 64ds was a "limiting" handheld remake of mario 64, a future handheld remake of sms would "not work too well"

Considering the 3ds lacks analog shoulder buttons, sunshine would not work well on it.

Back