Super Mario land 1 and 2 feel like such anomalies.

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
Sure they play like how you'd expect a Mario game to play but its the style, the characters and enemies that you encounter that make them really feel separate from what you normally see in Mario.

Especially the first game. Exploding koopas? Easter island heads that fly? Schmup levels? Strange stuff, even by Mario standards.

DragonFreak said:
And still better than Mario platformers of today :birdo:

The second one maybe but definitely not the first one.

the second one is fantastic, the first however is quite literally the worst platformer ever

although yeah the super mario land games are pretty out there

although i do like the designs and areas of the second game quite a bit.

The worst platformer ever? Thats a bit of a stretch.

I mean its not great but I playthrough and enjoy it now and then. But the sequel is definitely superior. I love how you can play the worlds in any order you want, even if its a superfluous choice as you still need to complete them all.

i just really hated mostly everything about the first :V

ill still think plane mario is the best thing ever though

Well the best thing about the first game was its soundtrack, its an 8 bit masterpiece.

The __ Land games were developed by EAD's rival department, R&D1, who had strong ideas about making their games unique and "stand out". fun fax: SML 1 was designed by the guy who would direct the first WarioWare.

I really could get behind a new Mario platformer by their successor (SPD 1). Aesthetically, it'd be a break from the stale pigshit that is NSMB if nothing else.

Missingno. said:
What are you talking about? Super Mario Land 2 is amazing! The first one isn't good, though.

I never said it was bad! Its just weird, even by Mario standards.

Glowsquid said:
The __ Land games were developed by EAD's rival department, R&D1, who had strong ideas about making their games unique and "stand out". fun fax: SML 1 was designed by the guy who would direct the first WarioWare.

I really could get behind a new Mario platformer by their successor (SPD 1). Aesthetically, it'd be a break from the stale pig*bleep* that is NSMB if nothing else.

If it leads to a spiritual successor to SML2 with its less linear world progression I'm all for it.

I've never played Super Mario Land 1 or 2, but I'm interested in doing so. It kind of reminds me of Super Mario Bros 2 a bit, just in the way how they're both different and kind of "deviated" from the usual style of the series. (I don't know if I worded that well, hahah)

Haven't played 2, but the first Super Mario Land was decent. Never beat it (probably because of its biggest flaw: IIRC you can't save) but I gotta give it credit for trying far, far harder to bring something new to the table than literally any of the recent Mario platformers. Hell it even had a new villain! (Speaking of which, how come Wario and Daisy got to become staples while poor Tatanga was left to rot in obscurity?)

Well because they needed another female, Wario became very popular very quickly when he debuted and tatanga had absolutely nothing of note worth mentioning. The fact he was reduced to a lacky in the sequel is proof of that.

Wittgenstein said:
Haven't played 2, but the first Super Mario Land was decent. Never beat it (probably because of its biggest flaw: IIRC you can't save)
True you can't. However, you can beat it in 30 minutes. Well at least I can. I used to play the shiz out of that when I was a kid.

Its available off club nintendo for the 3ds if you got the coins and you can use its restore point feature to save your progress.

Wittgenstein said:
Haven't played 2, but the first Super Mario Land was decent. Never beat it (probably because of its biggest flaw: IIRC you can't save) but I gotta give it credit for trying far, far harder to bring something new to the table than literally any of the recent Mario platformers. Hell it even had a new villain! (Speaking of which, how come Wario and Daisy got to become staples while poor Tatanga was left to rot in obscurity?)

You realize if Wario wasn't a staple, Waluigi wouldn't exist right?

You know how bland and uninteresting Tatanga is? He's so bland an uninteresting that I didn't even realize he was on the front cover of the game till several years after the fact.

Supermariolandboxart.jpg

I thought he was just a generic enemy.

Missingno. said:
I never said I was against Wario becoming a staple. In fact that would be a bad thing if he wasn't.

Mcmadness said:
You know how bland and uninteresting Tatanga is? He's so bland and uninteresting that I didn't even realize he was on the front cover of the game till several years after the fact.
The games he appeared in were limited in quite a few ways. There really wasn't much more they could do in a game like that. I'm sure he'd be far more interesting if he were given a chance in a modern game.

Thats not really an excuse. Wario had the same limitations and yet he turned out to be a far more memorable character. No. Tatanga was forgettable because Tatanga as an overall character is forgettable. He looks like a generic space alien you'd find in a children's colouring book.

I like Super Mario Land 1 and 2 because they introduced different and interesting things and characters like Wario, Daisy, and Tatanga. Too bad both Daisy and Sarasaland(?) are underexplored. We didn't get to know what planet Tatanga came from. And I feel bad that this Wario depiction didn't stay long.

Along with Super Mario Bros 2 they are not forgotten by me.

Wittgenstein said:
Missingno. said:
I never said I was against Wario becoming a staple. In fact that would be a bad thing if he wasn't.

Mcmadness said:
You know how bland and uninteresting Tatanga is? He's so bland and uninteresting that I didn't even realize he was on the front cover of the game till several years after the fact.
The games he appeared in were limited in quite a few ways. There really wasn't much more they could do in a game like that. I'm sure he'd be far more interesting if he were given a chance in a modern game.

Oh, I misread that then.

Glowsquid said:
I really could get behind a new Mario platformer by their successor (SPD 1).

so would i

man it would be great to see another mario platformer in that style again

Baby Luigi said:
Glowsquid said:
I really could get behind a new Mario platformer by their successor (SPD 1).

so would i

man it would be great to see another mario platformer in that style again

I thought you never played the land games?

i didn't but i'd love to see a new game in that style

Back