Cheesy said:
King Harkinian said:
yoshiking14x said:
Dr. Mario said:
GalacticPetey said:
Magikrazy said:
GalacticPetey said:
But why can't you have both?
Because that's not what the people who buy Mario like. They prefer the plotless Super Mario games and the Mario Kart games, so that's what Nintendo makes.
So people want the same bland platformer over and over again?
The plot doesn't make a Mario game. It's the gameplay. Which is why I like Kirby and Rayman much more than Mario, even though their plots are only slightly more complicated.
Kirby has stories?
I never played a Kirby game before.
The Kirby games tend to have crappy stories in my opinion (with the exception of Return to Dream Land)

At least they're different.

Even if they're all excuses in the grand scheme, you can tell the narrative, artistic, and stylistic difference between two Kirby games more than you can most Mario titles.
A villain that turns the world into a painting. Your argument is invalid.
A fat turtle monster tries to kidnap a princess.

King Harkinian said:
Cheesy said:
King Harkinian said:
yoshiking14x said:
Dr. Mario said:
GalacticPetey said:
Magikrazy said:
GalacticPetey said:
Because that's not what the people who buy Mario like. They prefer the plotless Super Mario games and the Mario Kart games, so that's what Nintendo makes.
The plot doesn't make a Mario game. It's the gameplay. Which is why I like Kirby and Rayman much more than Mario, even though their plots are only slightly more complicated.
Kirby has stories?
The Kirby games tend to have crappy stories in my opinion (with the exception of Return to Dream Land)

Even if they're all excuses in the grand scheme, you can tell the narrative, artistic, and stylistic difference between two Kirby games more than you can most Mario titles.
Drawcia? That's a better story than the typical Mario fare.

Dr. Mario said:
King Harkinian said:
Cheesy said:
King Harkinian said:
yoshiking14x said:
Dr. Mario said:
GalacticPetey said:
Magikrazy said:
GalacticPetey said:
Kirby has stories?

Drawcia? That's a better story than the typical Mario fare.
At least Bowser's plan could be considered evil.

What, kidnapping the princess so he can make her bake cakes? Bowser does get a bit more edgy in Galaxy, I guess, but honestly, that's nothing compared to people like Dark Nightmare or Dark Mind or something like that.

Bowser is more like that Magician from Rayman Origins than the Kirby villains.

TheFarmboy said:
The more recent 3D titles having what I call "planetoid hopping", instead of actual enviroments. I blame the Galaxy games for that. I did say somewhere that I felt it overstayed it's welcome.
Old quote, but yeah, I'm sick of cramped spaces and hitting blocks. There are Mario platformers that don't require you to hit a block to gain "HP"!?

TheFarmboy said:
The more recent 3D titles having what I call "planetoid hopping", instead of actual enviroments. I blame the Galaxy games for that. I did say somewhere that I felt it overstayed it's welcome.

Yeah there are games where you can do linear 3D platforming in a better way

Take Rayman 2 for example

2 words: FORCED TUTORIALS! (Mario and Luigi series)

Granted, Mario and Luigi's not the only series to have this problem, but still a nuisance.

603px-Toadiesluigismall.png

MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP

seriously, Yoshi's Island games should stop treating Baby Luigi like a ---ing Princess Peach

Dr. Mario said:
What, kidnapping the princess so he can make her bake cakes? Bowser does get a bit more edgy in Galaxy, I guess, but honestly, that's nothing compared to people like Dark Nightmare or Dark Mind or something like that.

Bowser is more like that Magician from Rayman Origins than the Kirby villains.

Most of the kirby villains haven't really done anything Bowser wouldn't do, usually wanting power or control over some location.

Except for Dark Matter, that things motivation seems to be little more than chaos for the sake of chaos.

The funny thing is that most Mario bosses are quite easy to take out. Whereas, the Kirby bosses actually require more effort to beat, as they never flinch from any kind of attacks.

The Kirby fights actually feel like a fight. I think it's Mario's gameplay is what really limits what Mario can do during those fights. Mario should expand his offenses rather than silly jumping like a girl.

Dr. Mario said:
The Kirby fights actually feel like a fight. I think it's Mario's gameplay is what really limits what Mario can do during those fights. Mario should expand his offenses rather than silly jumping like a girl.

The Donkey kong games make me disagree with that.

Pretty sure Donkey Kong has more options than jumping like a girl and using some powerup that you can lose permanently in one hit.

Dr. Mario said:
Pretty sure Donkey Kong has more options than jumping like a girl and using some powerup that you can lose permanently in one hit.

But most of the bosses are beaten just by jumping on them or throwing objects at them, both moves Mario is capable of.

Mcmadness said:
Dr. Mario said:

But most of the bosses are beaten just by jumping on them or throwing objects at them, both moves Mario is capable of.
Same goes for Rayman. They attack, you hit their weak spot, and they go into a different phase.

Mario somehow makes it 200% lamer.

I need to look into that because something isn't working when Mario does it.

Rosalina and Luma said:
Mcmadness said:
Pft.

Yall are fruitcakes.
I know I'm replying to an old post, but...

You can use fruitcake as an insult?

Fruitcakes are disgusting type of cake so I suppose so

Rosalina and Luma said:
Mcmadness said:
Pft.

Yall are fruitcakes.
I know I'm replying to an old post, but...

You can use fruitcake as an insult?
I've heard phrases like "you're nuttier than a fruitcake", but yeah, that can be used as an "insult".

Simple, too short, too easy. Short bosses can work if its challenging, but short easy bosses essentially its over before you can remotely begin to get invested.

Though there are a few good ones here and there, wario in super mario land 2, bowser in super mario world, NSMBU Bowser wasn't too bad either.

Also fruitcake is my way of making a joke insult that no one would get upset about.

Magikrazy said:
I've heard it used as an uncommon derogatory term for gay people.

Dude anything can be used as a derogatory term you old piece of Roquefort cheese pumpkin pie

Back