Why I don't care for Super Paper Mario

Dr. Mario said:
Oh yeah, we did. But I didn't remember the whole thing where the plot turned on its head.

Also, stuff like Tales of Symphonia reminds me how simplistic Mario RPGs really are. It's not a bad thing per se, since the Mario RPGs focus on not teens and adults but also children as well. Despite this, I'd like a Mario RPG that doesn't stray far from the Mario route, but contains more complexity and depth as in Tales of Symphonia and... well, I haven't played too much RPGs. I've seen Baten Kaitos, Persona 3, and a bit of Golden Sun. I'd just like to see how that turns out.
I think the Mario rpgs work best when they focus on light hearted humour and adventure.

Baby Luigi said:
haven't we already went past that, sis?

Are you 2 literally twin siblings?

Is it possible to be metaphorical "twins"?

Well I guess it is, but yes they are literal twin sisters.

Mcmadness said:

Magikrazy said:

we're identical twin sisters

Magikrazy said:

Sisters being on the same forum at the same time is something I ain't used to. Not that its bad, just funny.

Also having non identical twins does exist.

Mcmadness said:
Sisters being on the same forum at the same time is something I ain't used to. Not that its bad, just funny.

Also having non identical twins does exist.

Yes we're well aware fraternal twins exist. But we're identical for sure.

I just like to tell you Lefty and I are REALLY close, probably THE closest users to each other on the forum

Mcmadness said:
Dr. Mario said:
Oh yeah, we did. But I didn't remember the whole thing where the plot turned on its head.

Also, stuff like Tales of Symphonia reminds me how simplistic Mario RPGs really are. It's not a bad thing per se, since the Mario RPGs focus on not teens and adults but also children as well. Despite this, I'd like a Mario RPG that doesn't stray far from the Mario route, but contains more complexity and depth as in Tales of Symphonia and... well, I haven't played too much RPGs. I've seen Baten Kaitos, Persona 3, and a bit of Golden Sun. I'd just like to see how that turns out.
I think the Mario rpgs work best when they focus on light hearted humour and adventure.
Story-wise, it's okay. But maybe they can attempt more complex gameplay elements like a set of customizable weapon stats (stats in the hammer like effectiveness against Koopas, Piranha Plants, Goombas; e.g. Koopa Killer gem, Plant Killer stone; you give it to your Hammer to upgrade it...?)

Dr. Mario said:
We are literally biological clones that share our DNA 100% a.k.a. identical twins.

Or a really elaborate sockpuppeting hoax that everyone bought. Your preference.

Cool.

*the more you know*

Back on subject. What really drives me nuts about SPM's plot is three things.

1. Bowser's portrayal

2. Melodrama

3. The fact that the actual Mario characters we all know and love are tossed completely to the aside and are just there because they are the characters we play as.

I have a question: would the game be as bad if it wasn't a Mario game but a totally new IP?

Baby Luigi said:
I have a question: would the game be as bad if it wasn't a Mario game but a totally new IP?

Its not really bad persay, just really mediocre. It would probably be even more mediocre without the brand name.

That being said I wouldn't dislike it as much.

Mcmadness said:
Cool.

*the more you know*

Back on subject. What really drives me nuts about SPM's plot is three things.

1. Bowser's portrayal

2. Melodrama

3. The fact that the actual Mario characters we all know and love are tossed completely to the aside and are just there because they are the characters we play as.
Do you hate the general character design in the game?

I'm not fond of it. I prefer stuff like the sun guy, the flower people, Chuck Quizmo, Tubba Blubba, Doogans, most wizard people's old design (gaaah, Merlee's Super Paper Mario one is atrocious) rather than the blocky stuff.

Yeah I do. People bitch about the generic toads and re-used characters in Sticker star, but I'd rather have those than SPM's OC designs anyday.

SPM designs are just....yuck. It's like Picasso or something without the cubist artistic style and just something someone threw together really easily with simple, sharpened shapes in Illustrator

http://www.mariowiki.com/Cragnon

These guys are the worst ones to me.

They look like they were created by someone learning how to make a character with simple shapes. A small child specifically.

I don't mind if they create new characters but I feel they should at least look like they belong in a Mario game.

That's just what irks me about SPM. It just doesn't feel like a Mario game. (Kind of the same criticism I gave Skyward Sword, even though I do like that)

Another thing that bugs me. All the main characters are bloody idiots. How can Mario not recognize his own brother? Why does Count Bleck just leave Mario in Bowser's castle when he should know he's the ''legendary hero'' that will stop him? When confronted at the end why is Count Bleck all like ''I can't stop it'' and then ten minutes later he's all like ''I know hiw to stop it.''

Seriously, on top of that the game tries to make Dimentio out to be this master manipulator but its really hard to believe that when everyone else is a complete moron.

Isn't no one recognizing Mr L supposed to be.a.joke?

Baby Luigi said:

It doesn't make Mario look any less stupid.

But isn't that the point of it....?

Baby Luigi said:
It is. In my views, the reason they got Mr. L to exist because he was living in Mario's shadow, and after he was Mr. L, they couldn't recognize him.

Baby Luigi said:

Bare in mind this plot was trying to take itself more seriously.

Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:

But is this trying to play out as a joke because it seems like it

Baby Luigi said:
Mcmadness said:
Baby Luigi said:

But is this trying to play out as a joke because it seems like it

Luigi is a major plot point of the game.

Back