Why I don't care for Super Paper Mario

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
If anyone knows anything about me, its that I'm a Bowser fanboy and that I don't have the highest opinion of Super Paper Mario. With aspects that range between dislike to outright hatred. So out of boredom and to stop derailing topics about it I'm going to put all my opinions of the game into this.

First, what I like. Multiple playable characters is good, though Bowser is a bit too OP, thus making using the others beyond puzzles a bit superfluous. Flipping between 2D and 3D is a cool mechanic, but I feel its rather half baked. I like the idea of a platformer rpg and wouldn't mind seeing it again, but SPM's version of it is very half baked and under developed.

Now what I dislike. First off the worlds and character designs. I don't like most of them. They are either extremely dull and uninspired, or have extremely baffling design decisions that just suck the life out of me and make me not want to continue. Second is the character designs. I hate them. They are either too minimalistic, or just plain ugly to look at. The most notable are the cragnons, flipside towns folk, and the main villains.

And for what I hate, the story. Its cliched, even by Mario standards and there are no real ''mario-esque'' twists put onto it. Its just a run of the mill hero saves the world(s) prophecy story. Its way too melodramatic and takes itself way too bloody seriously. The worst thing about it, the thing that annoys me the most about it is that the actual main Mario cast has largely nothing to do with the actual events of the game in question. They as actual characters are irrelevant and are just macguffins. The real main character is a rather bland pixl and her relationship with the main villain. The whole thing feels like the developers wanted to write their own generic jrpg and just slapped it on PM.

holy fuck wrong board, can somebody move it for me.

God I feel like an idiot.

Well more than usual.

Donatello said:
Mcmadness said:
holy *bleep* wrong board, can somebody move it for me.

no worries, a mod will move this eventually, or you could PM one right now

I would but don't know who they are.

At the bottom of the board index is a Who's Online. PM someone who has red text over their name

Well thats done. Now I just add a permanent mark to my stupidity and its all good.

I'm pretty much the opposite. But rather than ranting again, I'll just post my recent review of SPM right here.
I know what you're thinking. "Best in the series? Pfft, there's no way." But in my honest opinion, it is indeed the best. Why? Well that's what I'm here to explain to you.

WARNING: The below passage may contain spoilers.

The Paper Mario series has always produced some of the best Mario games of all time (that is, until the fourth game came out but that's another rant), and this game is definitely no exception. It has a beautiful story, a nice, simple art style, satisfying gameplay, and amazing music.

The story takes place in another world, separate from Mario's Mushroom Kingdom. There is an ancient prophecy that predicts the end of all worlds. Mario is prophesied as a legendary hero who is the only one who can stop the destruction of the multiverse by the hand of the new villain, Count Bleck, and his five minions. The four playable characters are Mario, Luigi, Peach, and even Bowser, each with their own abilities.

The gameplay feels smooth and satisfying. Mario has the ability to switch between 2-D (default) and 3-D (the stage flips to the side, revealing the third dimension). This can be used to go around obstructing walls and avoid nasty enemies. Princess Peach has the ability to float over large gaps, similar to her abilities in Super Mario Bros. 2. Luigi can unleash a mighty Super Jump to reach higher places and attack high enemies. Bowser is able to breathe powerful flames to burn away enemies and other obstacles such as a door covered in dried bark. He also has double the attack power of other characters.

They can all jump on enemies and use Pixls, fairy-like creatures found in various chests throughout the game. The main Pixl, Tippi, can give helpful hints and bio various enemies to help you defeat them. The other Pixls grant abilities such as Ground Pound, Hammer, Barrier, Bomb, and more. Unfortunately in some instances you do not have access to Tippi and the other Pixls (such as one part where one of Count Bleck's minions separates you from them). In these instances you must rely heavily on flipping into 3D and other character abilities to survive.

The item system works similarly to previous Paper Mario games, you have the standard healing items and attack items. You also level up by defeating enemies and earning points from them. Leveling up increases your max health and attack power.

There are eight chapters in the game: Lineland, Gloam Valley, The Bitlands, Outer Space, Land of the Cragnons, Sammer Kingdom, The Underwhere & The Overthere, and Castle Bleck, the Count's main base. The hub world is Flipside, a rather large town with inns, shops, fortune tellers, and a mirror-image counterpart called Flopside. Merlon, the sage who wields the prophecy of light, also lives here.

The story gets deeper throughout the game, and by the time I got to the final boss I found myself loving every bit of it. Count Bleck (spoiler alert) isn't as evil as he seems, and was only acting out of grief for a lost loved one. One of his minions, on the other hand, is playing the entire cast for fools and is the true final boss of the game. I will not say which one, so as to avoid further spoilers. But the ending of the game in which Count Bleck is reunited with his loved one brings a tear to my eye and really shows how the power of love can counteract a prophecy of destruction and evil.

Overall, Super Paper Mario is not only my favorite Paper Mario game, but my favorite Mario game overall. I would rank the series Super Paper Mario>The Thousand-Year Door>Paper Mario>Sticker Star. When Sticker Star released and had a generic "save the princess" story and no new characters or returning Paper Mario characters, it made Super Paper Mario look even better by comparison. I rate this game 10/10 and hope for a true sequel. Because damn, this game sure does deserve it.

During the ending of the game, when Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Merlon, the Pixls, and Count Bleck's remaining loyal minions all gathered on Flipside Tower to say their farewells, with the beautiful song "Proof of Existence" playing in the background, I shed tears every time. Such a beautiful game with a beautiful message. And when the narrator closed with "May we meet again in another time and place," I just burst into tears because that implied sequel never happened due to all the butthurt fans criticizing this game for not being exactly like its predecessors.

I applaud the developers of Super Paper Mario for creating what to me is the perfect blend of Mario platforming and deep, touching story. May we truly meet again in another time and place.

Literally everything you described the story to be has been done much better by pretty much every jrpg on the market that has that type of story, to which there are a ridiculous amount.

Mcmadness said:
Literally everything you described the story to be has been done much better by pretty much every jrpg on the market that has that type of story, to which there are a ridiculous amount.
But for a Mario game it's pretty deep, and I love it for that.

Also for those who stick to series like Mario it's one of the few places you can find that type of story.

Thats hardly saying much, if anything at all. Its a very basic (if horribly inappropriate) plot and calling it deep is insulting to games with actual deep storylines.

Mcmadness said:
No, I don't think so.

Many of your posts that I have read consists of you arguing with FTG64, so I'm avoiding another potential flame war with my opinion.
Haven't heard that from me in a while, eh?

This is coming from my favourite RPG, so there could be potential bias. Keep that in mind while I express my thoughts.

Super Paper Mario, to me, is an experience unlike any other. It changed the way I looked at Mario games, and it was the second RPG I actually cared enough about to finish. Well, then again, I was older and I was more wise...

Ahem, anyhow, now onto the spoilers.
Dimentio may of been the evil jester cliche that people are complaining about, but I've actually liked him better than most others I've seen. With his weird similes and metaphors, to his evil scheme to use Count Bleck (that inspired the end of Dream Team's plot, Bowser pulled a Dimentio on Anstasma), I personally thought he had a lot of charm.

I actually forgot about the others other than Count Bleck since I was still fairly young, all I remember was O'Chunks had that weird accent and Mimi scared the crap out of me.

The tragic story about Bleck and Tippi made my heart warm. Seeing the story about how Tippi had to live on in a Pixl because of Bleck's father (I won't explain the full story) made me cry.
While you may think the story is cliched, I don't believe it was ever done in a way like Super Paper Mario's. The story wasn't "full of itself", it was a great story I've never been exposed to before.

That is my short-ish opinion of this masterpiece.
G'night.

PS. I totally respect the fact that you have an opinion. I know people have reasons not to like something, and that's okay. I'm just sharing my thought on the matter.

Well you are welcome to enjoy the game all you want, nothing wrong with that.

But the plot twist in Dream Team wasn't inspired by SPM. Its a much older thing than that.

Mcmadness said:
Well you are welcome to enjoy the game all you want, nothing wrong with that.

But the plot twist in Dream Team wasn't inspired by SPM. Its a much older thing than that.
Fair enough, it's just that I consider it inspired since Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi are connected. To me, at least.

Well there are similarities but ultimately the 2 series are very different.

Mcmadness said:
Well there are similarities but ultimately the 2 series are very different.
Not to me...

Oh, I would tell you, but there's so much to explain...

in short form: headcanon

Ah cmon, lets hear it.

I didn't care for Super Paper Mario, but I felt like I had to for a while because Nintendo was trying something different, and I felt that Sticker Star was that mediocre mess because some people didn't like SPM. Then I actually got the game.

It was fun for a while. I enjoyed the platform-type gameplay. However, it started getting tedious, having to swap characters and Pixls every few steps just to make sure I didn't miss something important. And don't get me started on that three block thing with the long-ass password.

I won't say anything about the story because idgaf about stories in games.

yoshiking14x said:
To me, the story and gameplay seems okay, but I am not sure about those geometrical characters.

Thats another thing. The game really wasn't ''paper'' say what you want about sticker star but at least it got the paper design right. Super Paper Mario was more Super pixel Mario.

Back