Super Mario Maker

So, how would you make a slope option then? Any ideas?

I would like a SML2 DLC pack, especially if Wario is added as a boss

I would like for there to be a Lost Levels skin, as it does have some key differences from the regular Super Mario Bros.

Magikrazy said:
The first dlc could implement a straight line tool to place slopes.

Nevermind what I said before

Magikrazy said:
You probably missed my post, but a straight line tool.

Yep

like what?

poison mushrooms (just thinking about what people would do with those.....)?

and uh

snow i think?

and wind (yeah this isnt happening)?

Emmett Brown said:
like what?

and uh

snow i think?

the snow theme was in smb 1 iirc

also a super mario all stars theme would be cool, I quite liked that graphical style

Emmett Brown said:
like what?

and uh

snow i think?

I meant just the skin. But to be honest, they could cap how many poison mushrooms you could do

Magikrazy said:
What about an All Night Nippon skin? :P

Unfortunately, I believe that is copywritten...

Glitchy said:
the snow theme was in smb 1 iirc

yeah but the underground was normal, just with snowy trees.

i thought there was actual snow in the lost levels but i might be wrong, since ive never played the original nes version

I have, and I don't recall snow.

Although that could just be because I sucked so much I never got that far.

if nintendo were to release dlc then it'd probably be level themes (e.g. snow, desert, athletic). only certain blocks, semi-layered platforms, the music and the background would have to be changed across all 4 game styles, making them a lot easier to make than an entire new game style (SMB2, SML, etc.), which would require changes on everything in all themes.

it wouldn't be wrong to assume we'd get new objects with these themes which'd make them actually worth buying. maybe like, 4 objects with each theme to remain consistent with the ones you unlock in the game. for instance, for a desert theme you might get quicksand blocks (which drag you downwards when you walk on them), Fire Bros., Pokeys, and Spikes.

that'd require a bit more work but i'd be pleased with level theme dlc if it was like that

also we're getting new costumes, slowly, but those will likely be spotpass giveaways

They could add slopes to the game and just have it not exist in SMB1 (or replace them with stairs), similar to how wall kicks exist in NSMB but not the earlier ones. Alternatively they could just make a couple of SMB sliding sprites and take the physics from SMB3.

GBAToad said:
if nintendo were to release dlc then it'd probably be level themes (e.g. snow, desert, athletic). only certain blocks, semi-layered platforms, the music and the background would have to be changed across all 4 game styles, making them a lot easier to make than an entire new game style (SMB2, SML, etc.), which would require changes on everything in all themes.

it wouldn't be wrong to assume we'd get new objects with these themes which'd make them actually worth buying. maybe like, 4 objects with each theme to remain consistent with the ones you unlock in the game. for instance, for a desert theme you might get quicksand blocks (which drag you downwards when you walk on them), Fire Bros., Pokeys, and Spikes.

Ignoring new mechanics (eg: new enemies, slopes, etc) a new game style wouldn't affect the existing ones. They just need a new set of sprites and physics which would work independently to the existing ones.

Though if they were going to add a new style then they'd probably add some mechanics from them, which would mean tweaking the other styles for them to work. The programming wouldn't be hard, the challenging part would be getting it to feel right with all the different game styles.

I'd personally like to see poison shrooms and wind but I digress.

Just finished my first 100 expert Mario challenge earlier... Had to flee too many troll-hiddenblocks and a couple of jumps of faith.

I actually left two reasonable levels that were too punishing because I was playing pretty sloppy at that point. Next time I'll count how many times I have to run away from random stages.

Baby Luigi said:
Or they were being lazy

Not trying to target your statement, be defensive or derail the thread. However, it is difficult for me to simply make the claim "they were being lazy", especially for a game like this. Even if it is true, there are other factors. Sometimes things are rushed even slightly because of deadlines. Sure, they could delay the game, but it really isn't worth it considering that the staff could be focusing on more important projects, and making a habit of that could cause things to go nowhere. Another problem is that they seemed to invested a lot into this game, making it the highlight of Mario's 30th Anniversary, packaging it with a booklet, making amiibo for it and even entire Wii U bundles; not really something I would expect if they were trying to be lazy. To be honest, if they really wanted to be lazy, this game could've had almost nothing more than what we saw when it was revealed at E3, and they could've just put it on the eshop as small downloadable title.

On another note though, I do think what I said before could be a credible reason for a lot of the missing content. Remember the slogan "Anyone can make it. Anyone can play it" from the commercials? This may seem stupid to bring up, but marketing can help you infer the target audience the game is geared to. Of course, this game is geared towards Mario fans. However, it is also geared towards "anyone". The game is meant to be a fun level creation tool that "anyone" can get into. And to be honest, the Super Mario Bros. series is recognized by people beyond his fanbase like us. a.k.a. Almost "anyone" could know about the Mario series. Unfortunately, these people don't know all of the elements of Mario levels. Only the essentials and sometimes a bit more. That also could be why you only start with basic tools, and the tools you get afterward are slightly more complex, but are at least somewhat familiar to the general Mario audience.

So, does this mean these omittions are justified? Well, I don't think a yes or no statement would be absolute in validity. Sure, these omittions help the game be more accessible to all audiences, which was probably their vision for the game, but they also are limiting to people who have knowledge of some more in-depth elements of Mario levels. They could've very easily made more advanced tools, but it could make things overwhelming and confusing for people who aren't used to complex creation tools.

Like I said before, I'm not really trying to defend the decisions made with the game, as even I find the game kinda limiting in some areas. However, I find the "they were being lazy" claim to be a bit too general considering other possible factors and known information available. There could be actual, broader reasons behind these design choices.

chillv said:
Not trying to target your statement, be defensive or derail the thread. However, it is difficult for me to simply make the claim "they were being lazy", especially for a game like this. Even if it is true, there are other factors. Sometimes things are rushed even slightly because of deadlines. Sure, they could delay the game, but it really isn't worth it considering that the staff could be focusing on more important projects, and making a habit of that could cause things to go nowhere. Another problem is that they seemed to invested a lot into this game, making it the highlight of Mario's 30th Anniversary, packaging it with a booklet, making amiibo for it and even entire Wii U bundles; not really something I would expect if they were trying to be lazy. To be honest, if they really wanted to be lazy, this game could've had almost nothing more than what we saw when it was revealed at E3, and they could've just put it on the eshop as small downloadable title.

On another note though, I do think what I said before could be a credible reason for a lot of the missing content. Remember the slogan "Anyone can make it. Anyone can play it" from the commercials? This may seem stupid to bring up, but marketing can help you infer the target audience the game is geared to. Of course, this game is geared towards Mario fans. However, it is also geared towards "anyone". The game is meant to be a fun level creation tool that "anyone" can get into. And to be honest, the Super Mario Bros. series is recognized by people beyond his fanbase like us. a.k.a. Almost "anyone" could know about the Mario series. Unfortunately, these people don't know all of the elements of Mario levels. Only the essentials and sometimes a bit more. That also could be why you only start with basic tools, and the tools you get afterward are slightly more complex, but are at least somewhat familiar to the general Mario audience.

So, does this mean these omittions are justified? Well, I don't think a yes or no statement would be absolute in validity. Sure, these omittions help the game be more accessible to all audiences, which was probably their vision for the game, but they also are limiting to people who have knowledge of some more in-depth elements of Mario levels. They could've very easily made more advanced tools, but it could make things overwhelming and confusing for people who aren't used to complex creation tools.

Like I said before, I'm not really trying to defend the decisions made with the game, as even I find the game kinda limiting in some areas. However, I find the "they were being lazy" claim to be a bit too general considering other possible factors and known information available. There could be actual, broader reasons behind these design choices.

I really don't know, it's a triple AAA title, you would expect a basic feature such as slopes to be in it. Maybe if it was developed by a smaller team of people or that they were indie, they would have an excuse, but this is, like, Nintendo we're talking about. The company has like, infinite budget. Slopes is probably one of the most basic features of level design. Even unofficial level editors like Reggie! or SMBX can easily edit it into their own level creation. And before you say that the original SMB lacks slopes, why not add it in? It's not the original SMB ported into this game, it's a game that looks and plays like it, and adding stuff that originally wasn't in the game gives more options and therefore is better for a creation game like this.

Also, the slogan is stupid. They should change it to "Anyone can make it. Most levels you shouldn't play it." Or, "Anyone can make it, most shouldn't." If there was like, a parody of it, that would be its "honest" slogan. Slopes are not a complex tool to use, and locking stuff because people "can't" use it behind an arbitrary time limit or whatever is a stupid idea.

Omitting stuff does not make a game more simple, it makes a game more limited. If you want people to make your game easier to pick up and play, design the UI and stuff better. That's where the vast majority of development went into this game anyway, and that's literally the only thing it has going over other unofficial Mario level editors. This game is already extremely simple to use, and I doubt adding slopes or some missing elements would make it any more complex than it is now.

Ironically, you see people who are failing to complete the easiest courses, and as a result, those courses end up appearing in the expert difficulty 100 Mario Challenge.

EDIT: I recently made and uploaded a level with invisible platforms. I don't know if this works in Course World.

Invisible Platforms (test level)
8CA5-0000-0093-0BB7

MnSG said:
Ironically, you see people who are failing to complete the easiest courses, and as a result, those courses end up appearing in the expert difficulty 100 Mario Challenge.

We need some sort of user based way to rate the difficulty. And we should be able to signal levels with unpredictable hack deaths so those get banned too :D

Baby Luigi said:
I really don't know, it's a triple AAA title, you would expect a basic feature such as slopes to be in it. Maybe if it was developed by a smaller team of people

The dev team (when you remove executive/localization credits) is tiny for a retail console game.

But when they make this swappable game interface that's very friendly to use it's expected to have at least all basic features a Mario level editor should, which includes slopes (in my opinion, the most glaring absence...even the Mario Maker stage showcases how slopes are pretty much essential because it in itself has slopes while the game you cannot reproduce them).

This is no excuse, but you think they just plain forgot about slopes? At least until it was already too late to change it?

Super Mario Bros. Mario doesn't even have any sliding sprites, which can easily explain the absence of slopes.

MnSG said:
Super Mario Bros. Mario doesn't even have any sliding sprites, which can easily explain the absence of slopes.

that is literally no excuse considering all the new shit they made for smb1.

the much bigger problem would probably be that slopes would look plain weird with smb1's block structure

Emmett Brown said:
MnSG said:

that is literally no excuse considering all the new *bleep* they made for smb1.

the much bigger problem would probably be that slopes would look plain weird with smb1's block structure

Too bad that Mario "still" can't hold onto any items in the Super Mario Bros. game style.

Back