I review a Kaiju film a day leading up to the new Godzilla film

Alright, let's face it, this wasn't meant to be Godzilla, they were just doing JP under the Godzilla name for double-profit.

The writing is awful too. "That's a lot of fish." Y'know, something tells me that line was supposed to be hilarious or something, but...it was just stupid.

Godzilla2000jap.jpg

Intro: Oh rubber suits. How I missed you so. After the atrocity of 98, Toho brought back the Japanese Godzilla. This film is yet another reboot, but it could really fit an any of the timelines. Here's Godzilla 2000.

Plot: Shinoda, along with his daughter Io, are the head of a small network called The Godzilla Prediction Network. Their job is to track Godzilla and warn people when he's nearby. They are joined by a reporter named Yuki who is looking to get some great pictures of Godzilla. At the lighthouse near Nemuro, Godzilla surfaces and begins advancing towards the mainland. The monster rampages and the GPN is close on his tail. They get cornered in a tunnel by Godzilla and barely escape. Godzilla then proceeds to destroy energy facilities. Meanwhile, a member of the Crisis Control Intelligence Agency (CCI), Miyasaka, in forms his boss Katagiri that they have found a very strange rock under the ocean. They try to excavate it, but it floats rapidly to the surface by its own will somehow. It raises itself perpendicular to the ocean, facing the sun.

Katagiri is informed that Godzilla is approaching the Takaimura Nuclear Plant. He leaves the area to head to the plant. he crosses paths with Shinoda there. The two men dislike each other, despite their years of working together in the past. Shinoda hates the fact that Katagiri wants Godzilla killed and insists he must be studied. Katagiri laughs at him and sets up his plan to kill Godzilla with powerful new missiles. Godzilla arrives and the weapons are fired. They manage to pierce his hide, but don't cause significant damage. Suddenly, the strange rock rises from the water and begins flying towards Godzilla, shocking everyone. Godzilla blasts it with his atomic ray, destroying some of the rock and revealing a metallic substance underneath. The ship scans Godzilla, finding something interesting. It fires a massive laser beam, knocking Godzilla back into the ocean, who retreats. The strange vessel rests in the water as the sun goes down.

Miyasaka deduces that the strange object must be a spaceship and that it needs the light from the sun to function. Shinoda reluctantly decides to work with the CCI to examine a Godzilla cell sample he found. While studying it, he finds that the cells have incredible regenerative properties. He names his discovery Regenerator G-1. the next day, the UFO becomes active again and head into Tokyo. After destroying some helicopters, it places itself on top of city tower, where it begins hacking into all the computers. Katigiri orders for bombs to be set in the building to blow up the spaceship. Unfortunately, Yuki is still in the building, trying to figure out what the aliens want. Shinoda and Io arrive and to get her. Yuki and Io go back to the car, but Shinoda stays inside. Yuki and Io beg for the blast to be postponed, but Katigiri refuses and detonates the bombs. Shinoda is far enough away from the top of the building to avoid the explosion, but the UFO destroys the building. Io and Yuki run towards the wreckage, where they find Shinoda who just barely survives. They join up with Katagiri and Miyasaka on top of a building where they can observe the ship from a safe distance.

Godzilla surfaces in Tokyo Bay and marches towards the alien. A fight ensues and Godzilla is knocked to the ground. With strange, invisible, tentacle like beams, the aliens take a sample of Godzilla's DNA and form a massive squid monster named Millennian descend. It quickly changes form into a massive aline beast known as Orga. Godzilla destroys the spaceship and fights Orga. The alien has a powerful beam from its shoulder cannon as well massive hands and regeneration that rivals even Godzilla's. Orga bites Godzilla and starts absorbing his DNA, trying to become a Godzilla clone. The two monsters battle until Orga's jaw unhinges, revealing a massive second mouth. Orga attempts to swallow Godzilla whole, but Godzilla fires a powerful atomic ray down the alien's throat, blowing its head off and killing it. Godzilla roars in victory and walks over to the building where our main characters were watching the battle. They all flee except Katagiri, who just lights a cigarette and stares at Godzilla. He admits his mistake in trying to kill the beast and Godzilla kills Katagiri. The protagonists watch Godzilla blast his atomic ray all throughout the city as a mark of his victory.

Reflection: Ah, it's good to be back. This feels much more like a Godzilla movie than a certain other film. The characters, while nothing too special, are at least likable. You find yourself rooting for Shinoda and hating the villain Katagiri. Unfortunately, I only own the English version, so some of the voices are kind of annoying. For once though, we have a kid character that is not annoying. More of those please. Katagiri is probably the weakest character. He's kind of a generic bad guy and the actor's performance isn't that great. He seems to have on expression throughout the entire movie. A dead stare. He even looks like this when laughing.

The monsters are great. Godzilla has been redesigned for this film, but unlike the 98 film, he still sticks true to his origins. The purple spines may seem odd at first, but they somehow complement the design well. His ray has also been changed to an orange color. While there's nothing wrong with that, it's just kind of odd that they would change it for no reason. Oh well, it's better than having no ray at all. One thing I don't like is Godzilla's personality, or lack there of. In the older films, he was expressive. He could feel happiness or sadness. Here's he's much more animalistic. He savagely attacks Orga and the UFO. He can definitely feel anger though. Orga is a pretty cool kaiju. Sure, he's barely in the movie, but his design is pretty neat and the suit is good too. We've never quite seen a kaiju that looks like this. His swallowing attack is also very alien and bizarre. Though Orga is not very bright. He tried swallowing Godzilla, even though he knew full well he had an atomic ray. In the end, Orga ends up getting his head blown off because of it.

The effects as a whole are a mixed bag. The suits look good, but there is one shot with a CGI Godzilla that looks just awful. Orga's first form also is CGI and it is pretty obvious. Same with the UFO. Though the ra effects look pretty good. You can just feel the heat coming off of Godzilla's spines when he's charging.

Takayuki Hattori is back on music, reprising his job from Godzilla vs. Spacegodzilla. thankfully, his score is much better here. His new theme for Godzilla sounds great and really captures that Ifukube feel. While Ifukube had no involvement with this film, the Godzilla theme is present and slounds just as great. Oddly, Rodan's theme plays at the very end when Godzilla is torching the city. It just seems kind of odd and out of place.

This is the film we should've gotten in 98. It rebooted Godzilla, but stuck true to his origins and character. while it's not the best, it's certainly better than 98.

Final Score: 3/5

Godzilla said:
The F-18s circle and manage to kill Godzilla with 12 missiles. *coughcoughGODDAMNMOTHERFUCKINGBULLSHITcoughcough*.
honestly, i would have to agree here. if you're trying to make a monster seem threatening, it's better to show off just what he can take before going down
Godzilla said:
Then there's how they kill him. Godzilla should not be killed with conventional, or even nuclear weapons, ever. The whole point of Godzilla is that he's an destructible force of nature that cannot be stopped. But nope, that's just too un-fucking-realistic.
Well, it is.
Godzilla said:
Instead, we get a generic ending that just sucks the American military's dick by having them save the day once again. Give me a break. I mean Jesus Christ, between this and Independence Day, Roland Emmerich must have an obsession with 'Murica greater than Jav's. So yeah, Godzilla going out like a pussy in this movie in just unacceptable.
Again, I'm with you that Godzilla should have been harder to kill, if only for dramatic purposes (what's the fun if the monster isn't dangerous and tough? i mean come on). But the military still would be able to kill him if they utilized their full firepower as I've outlined previously.

I think you don't understand that sometimes Reality Is Unrealistic.
Godzilla said:
The worst part of this movie though is how it has changed the fandom. When people think Godzilla, they think of this film, which greatly irritates me. Do you think of the movie Batman and Robin when you hear Batman? Do you think of Spider-Man 3 when you hear Spider-Man, or the live action Airbender film when you think of the series? Of course not, so why should it be the same here? The shear amount who think of this when they hear Godzilla is mindblowing. Do they not know about any of the Japanese films at all. Ugh, it infuriates me
The reason behind that is that this is the most recent (American) release of Godzilla, and is therefore the most prominent in peoples' memories. People don't think about Batman and Robin because newer Batman movies came out (notably, Nolan's trilogy).

Rest assured that when the new Godzilla movie comes out, people will quickly forget this one and either love or hate the new one.

Dr. Javelin said:
Godzilla said:
Then there's how they kill him. Godzilla should not be killed with conventional, or even nuclear weapons, ever. The whole point of Godzilla is that he's an destructible force of nature that cannot be stopped. But nope, that's just too un-fucking-realistic.
Well, it is.
So in Avengers 2, we should take out all the characters besides Black Widow and Hawkeye? I mean, a giant green rage monster and a thunder god are just too unrealistic, right?

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to watch Godzilla fight a giant inter-dimensional dragonfly.

Godzilla said:
Dr. Javelin said:
Godzilla said:
Well, it is.
So in Avengers 2, we should take out all the characters besides Black Widow and Hawkeye? I mean, a giant green rage monster and a thunder god are just too unrealistic, right?
there's a difference between making someone who "cannot be stopped" and someone who's got cool otherworldly powers.

that said though i (personally) wouldn't really mind losing thor and hulk too much, as iron man, captain america, black widow, and hawkeye are cooler

GXM_Poster.jpg

Intro: For Toho's next film, they decided to do a reboot. Again. The timeline is altered in this film. Here's Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.

Plot: In this timeline, Godzilla was never defeated in 1954. he just returned to the ocean. He doesn't appear again until 1966, where he attacks a nuclear power plant. After this, the government abandons nuclear power and shifts to a new form of plasma energy. The capital of Japan is also changed to Osaka. Godzilla doesn't surface until 1996, where he goes after the plasma energy plant in Osaka. A group of soldiers are deployed to deal with him. One of which is a young woman named Tsujimori. They try to take Godzilla down, but the leader of their group is killed trying to save Tsujimori. She now has a personal vendetta against Godzilla, and she swears to someday kill him.

Five years later, a young inventor named Kudo is recruited by Tsujimori to work on a new project called Dimension Tide. This new weapons fires miniature back holes. they plan on using this weapon to destroy Godzilla. Professor Yoshizawa (Yuriko Hoshi) is the ehad of the project and was also Kudo's physics teacher back in high school. The other head of DT is Dr. Sugiura, who was the lead developer on the plasma energy, which has been outlawed since the last Godzilla attack. When the DT is being tested in a forest area, a young boy watches the secret test. The test ends up creating a wormhole. The boy is kindly lectured by Tsujimori, who tells him that he's not supposed to be there. That night, the boy sees the shadow of a huge dragonfly. He follows it, and the massive bug disappears into the wormhole. He finds a bizarre egg and being the insect lover that he is, takes it home with him. But when the egg becomes impossible to hide due to the strange liquid coming out from it, he dumps it in the sewer. Individual cells break off from the egg and hatch. At night, a young couple is killed by a massive insect called Meganulon. It then sprouts wings, turns into a Meganula and flies away. The boy tells Tsujimori about the insects, who tells it to her higher ups.

Godzilla is detected in the ocean. Tsujimori and her team take the flying battleship The Griffon to intercept. She is dropped into the water and they come across the corpse of a Meganula. Soon, Godzilla surfaces and Tsujimori climbs on. She shoots him with a tracker and is brought back to the ship. Things aren't looking to good back on the mainland. Tokyo has been completely flooded by an unknown source. When the miliatry investigates, they find an entire swarm of Meganulon who change into Meganula and fly away towards Godzilla. The Griffon lures Godzilla to an uninhabited sland where they plan to use the DT satellite in space to kill Godzilla. However, the swarm arrives, making it impossible to lock onto Godzilla. the bugs stab Godzilla with their stingers, draining some of his energy. After Godzilla kills a number of them, the Dimension Tide is fired, but it's a miss and Godzilla survives and follows the Meganula. Back in Tokyo, the bugs go underwater and give the energy they stole to a massive larva underwater. The Meganula die and the queen of the Meganula emerges, Megaguirus.

Megaguirus causes destruction by flying at hypersonic speeds. In the attack, Kudo's arm is fractured. Godzilla arrive sin the city the next day and the Griffon meets him to battle. However, Megaguirus arrives and battles Godzilla. The massive insect moves at impossibly fast speeds, making the battle difficult for Godzilla. The nuclear saurian manages to rip off one her claws. Megaguirus stabs Godzilla with her stinger, absorbing some of his power. she begins to shoot Godzilla with her own atomic ray. However, once Megaguirus's stinger is bitten off by Godzilla, she is defenseless. Godzilla manages to killer her with two atomic blasts.

Tsujimori says they must use the DT to kill Godzilla, who has begun rampaging. He attacks the science institute, which confuses everyone. In the past, Godzilla only attcked power sources. It is revealed that Sugiura has illegally stored plasma energy there, which has attarcted Godzilla. The DT is fired and Godzilla fires his atomic ray straight at it. As the dust clears, there is no sign of Godzilla. However, one day at school, the boy looks out his window as an earthquake occurs. But it's not an earthquake, Godzilla emerges from the ground, showing the world that he is still alive.

Reflection: The idea of doing an alternate reality Godzilla film is pretty cool. It makes you wonder what would've happened if the first Godzilla had not been killed in 1954. The main character Tsujimori at least has motive. She's the stern, military type and that doesn't allow much room for development. She's just pissed off at Godzilla all the time. Kudo is a funny character. His mannerism are very cheesy and fun to watch. We have a kid in this movie, but he's not annoying. His performance is actually decent. But maybe that's because the kid has a smaller role in this movie. It's really cool to see Yuriko Hoshi back. She played the female lead in both Mothra vs. Godzilla and Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster. She has a small role, but it's nice to see her.

Monsters are a mixed bag. Godzilla looks the same as he did in the last film. I don't know what it is, but the suit does not look as good as it did in the last film. It may be the lighting. Most of this movie takes place in broad daylight. Though Godzilla does have a bit more personality here than he did in the last film. You can see him getting annoyed by the hyper fast Megaguirus. He still has the orange ray, but I addressed that last review. Megaguirus is pretty hit or miss. She has a cool design and the prop is decent. But the wires are pretty noticeable in one scene. Usually in these film, seeing the wires isn't really a problem. They did a better job at hiding them in the 60s then they do now. The prop itself is also stiff at times. She has a unique design and abilities, but she doesn't look that good in this film. The Meganulon and Meganula are pretty good. It's a really cool callback to Rodan.

The music is decent. The music is handled by Michiro Oshima. You may know her from doing some orchestral arrangements for Twilight Princess. The score is forgettable except for two songs. Meaguirus' theme which is carzy and hectic, perfect for the lightning fast bug. Her theme for Godzilla is excellent. It starts slow and suspenseful but soon turns into that amazing Ifukube style. Speaking of which, Ifukube's Godzilla theme appears in two scenes, which is always a treat.

This film is kind of forgettable. A mixed bag of actors, monsters, and music makes it just kind of meh. If you're a Godzilla fan, it's a nice treat to see once in awhile, but I wouldn't rewatch it a ton.

Final Score: 2.5/5

Are all of these movies reboots now?
Well, I guess it's better than another Mot-wait, no. If I say that, another will appear.

You have no idea what's coming. I have four movies left. Three of which feature a certain Moth. Actually, all four if you count the cameo in one of the films.

Why is it always Mothra?! Can't we have a Biollante re-appearance for once, or...I don't know, ANYTHING BUT MOTHRA?!?!

GMK_Poster.jpg

Intro: Surprise, surprise, another reboot! This film is certainly different from other Godzilla films, bringing in several mystical elements that make it stand out. From the director of the amazing 90's Gamera trilogy comes the longest name ever. Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack.

Plot: Fifty years have passed since the first Godzilla attack. The creature has not been seen sense, though rumors of the creature's return begin to surface, especially after a large monster was reported to have attacked New York, with American experts claiming it was Godzilla. The Japanese have their doubts. lol Godzilla 98. Admiral Tachibana is informed that an American submarine is missing in Guam. A research vessel called the Satsuma is sent to investigate. They find the wrecked submarine, as well as see the dorsal fins of a terrifying creature. In Niigata, the admiral's daughter Yuri is filming a mock documentary. She works for Digital Q, a network which specializes in low budget works of fiction. While there, Yuri catches a glimpse of a strange old man, who disappears when Yuri looks again.

That night, and man and his wife are sitting and talking in their car. A motorcycle gang drives up to them and vandalizes the area. They also destroy a small shrine. The old man watches these events silently from the trees. When the gang drives into a tunnel, it caves in and they are all killed. A truck driver who near by watches this and sees a strange beast causing the collapse. While this is happening, Yuri is out having dinner with some friends. Her associate Takeda stops by and hands her a book that was written by the old man. The book tells of three ancient guardian monsters that existed long ago. Their names are Baragon, Mothra, and King Ghidorah. The next night, a rowdy group of teenagers are having a party by Lake Ikeda. They raid a nearby house, stealing beers as well as the barking dog. They take a small boat to dump the dog into the lake, but the boat tips over and the teens are dragged underwater. A large larva emerges from the lake.

Yuri and Takeda head to Motosu Prison, where the old man is being kept. When talking to him, the old man speaks in prophecies. He says that Godzilla will return and they must wake up the thousand year old dragon to stop it. He also explains why Godzilla is returning and why he is angry. Godzilla is the culmination of all the lost souls from World War II. The souls are angry because people try to forget all the horrors that happened and all the lives that were lost. Yuri goes to the place the old man mentioned where she finds a strange amulet. Meanwhile in the Bonin Islands, the area is in ruins and Godzilla is believed to be the source. Yuri tells her father about the legend of the guardian monsters, but he dismisses it, saying he could never forget the events that happened. As a child, his parents were killed in the first Godzilla attack, leaving him an orphan. Back in Motosu, a large red beast named Baragon emerges from the ground and destroys the jail, freeing the old man. At the same time, Godzilla finally returns in Shimizu and lays waste to the area. The two monsters meet up and battle to the death. Baragon fights hard, but Godzilla kills him easily.

An air strike is ordered against Godzilla. Despite having much more modern weapons then they did in the 50s, Godzilla is not not harmed at all. Yuri has also begun following Godzilla around with camera, with Digital Q using it as a live feed on TV. At Mt. Fuji, the old man watches as a massive golden dragon begins to awaken. The military sets up to intercept Godzilla in Yokohama, At the same time, the adult Mothra emerges from her cocoon in Lake Ikeda. She flies towards the city to fight Godzilla and so does the beast in Mt. Fuji. Mothra arrives and does battle with Godzilla. The bug is fast, making it hard for Godzilla to hit. Her attacks to little to phase the monster king. She latches onto his head as the final guardian monster arrives in the city, Ghidorah. The hydra rushes Godzilla and attacks him with his electrical bites. However, Godzilla knocks Ghidorah out cold. He goes in for the kill with his atomic ray, but Mothra takes the blast instead, taking her out of the fight. Godzilla is now unopposed. The army fires their special D-03 drilling missiles, but they can't pierce Godzilla's thick hide. Godzilla proceeds to nearly obliterate the entire military. Before he can destroy Tachibana's ship, Mothra gets back up. Godzilla fires his blast at her instead and kills her.

Mothra dissolves into golden dust which makes its way over to the downed Ghidorah. Infused with Mothra's energy and gaining enormous strength, King Ghidorah easily reflects Godzilla's ray and sends him into the ocean, opening a nasty wound on his neck. Ghidorah dives into the water, chasing after his enemy. With a window of opportunity, Tachibana takes the Satsuma to shoot the D-03 straight into Godzilla's wound. Yuri and Takeda are on the bridge above the water filming. In the chaos, a stray atomic ray hits the bridge, causing Yuri to nearly fall. Takeda holds on to her as she dangles over the bridge. Under the surface, the D-03 is fired, but it hits Ghidorah by mistake. Godzilla throws off his attacker and knocks him out once again. He grabs onto the Satsuma. The amulet falls from the bridge and lands on Ghidorah, revitalizing him. He drags the resurfacing Godzilla, causing him to let go of the Satsuma. King Ghidorah surfaces and begins firing his gravity beams at Godzilla. Unfortunately, the seemingly unstoppable Godzilla absorbs the rays and fires a super charged atomic blast that completely obliterates Ghidorah. The souls of the monsters appear in the sky and slakm into Godzilla, causing him to sink.

Tachibana has no other choice, he drives the satsuma straight down Godzilla's throat and fires the missiles inside. Godzilla surfaces and stares directly at Yuri and Takeda. The rocket explodes inside him, but Godzilla is still standing. He prepares an atomic ray, but the blast is redircted and shoots out of the hole in his neck. Dazed, Godzilla tries again but the same thing happens he sinks back into the water in pain as the bleeding becomes much worse. The satsuma exits via the huge hole in Godzilla neck. Infuriated, Godzilla tries once again, but the redirection completely destroys his body. The small sub surfaces and Yuri reunites with her father. They give a salute to the fallen soldiers and monsters, and the military is relieved to hear that Godzilla is gone. Digital Q decides to produce the documentary, but some strange info is found out. The old man who kept appearing apparently died 50 years ago at the age of 75. The old man has also disappeared from the tape recording of the prison interview.

Meanwhile, the ocean is calm with the monsters all dead. But beneath the waves, something is stirring. all that remains of Godzilla is a heart that begins pumping all by itself...

Reflection: Probably the best of all the post-Destoroyah Godzilla movies. Most of the charcaters are find. They;re likable enough and are acted well. Tachibana's flashback to 1954 is short, but well done. It reminds me of the Mako flashback from Pacific Rim, but not quite as intense. The flashback really adds a layer to Tachibana's character and we can see why is so keen on stopping Godzilla. The old man is one of the best characters, despite having few lines and rarely appearing. That sense of mystery about him makes him a very interesting character and makes you wonder just who, or what he is. The character that suffers a bit is Takeda. He does't serve much purpose in the film. The acting is fine, but there's little to work with here.

The monsters are excellent here. Godzilla himslef has been changed quite a bit. his new origin is definitely unique. While it's a little far-fetched, it certainly fits the more fantasy style of this film. Plus it gives a justifiable reason as to why he's attacking the people of Japan. His new design is pretty cool. Unlike the last two films, it's more in line with older designs. The brownish hue gives it a nice parallel to the 1954 beast, who had a brown suit. The eyes were also changed. Now, they're blank white, which make shim look terrifying. Sadly, this causes him to loose some of his personality from older film. Though in this film Godzilla is technically an evil, zombified version of himself. The white eyes really make him terrifying, especially when you see his head emerge in the sea of blood towards the end of the movie. The suit itself is good in most shots, but the suits does sport a rather fat "beer belly". It's not a huge problem except in a few shots that stick out like a sore thumb. Baragon looks great and it's really cool to see him back. He was denied a large role in Destroy all Monsters, so he's finally getting his due here. Sadly, he gets axed off pretty quickly, and the lack of his heat ray is disappointing. Mothra looks fantastic here, a huge step above that fluffy butterfly from the 90s. She's gotten a modern update and now can fire a volley of stingers, which is a cool ability to have. Strangly, her design actually looks a bit more like a wasp than an actual moth. While the design is cool, the prop can be a little stiff at times. Also worth noting is the lack of the Shobijin, but due to her new origin, Mothra is better off without them. King ghidorah's depiction in this movie is quite controversial. Here, he's actually a hero while Godzilla is the villain. Historically, Ghidorah has always been the villain and used to tower over Godzilla. Here he's actually shorter than Godzilla. While some don't like this, I think it's a cool new take on his character. After all, Mechagodzilla was a villain but became a good guy in later films. the suit is also cool and I really think this Ghidorah design is underrated.

The music is done by Kow Otani, who has done quite a bit of anime music as well as the score for the Gamera trilogy. His work here is some of the best in the Godzilla series. His main theme for Godzilla is loud, powerful, and fitting for this new, evil Godzilla. Mothra's theme has callbacks to the original Mothra song, but it's still its own thing. his theme for Ghidorah also fits this newer Ghidorah. It's a very regal sounding tune that fits the majectic nature of this Ghidorah. There is no Ifukube music until the credits, which I'm fine with. During the credits, we get to hear the original Godzilla theme along with Ifukube's Japanese army march. the music is goon on its own that it doesn;t need support from Ifukube.

The director of this film is Shusuke Kaneko. He is responsible for the Gamera trilogy from the 90s. These are some of the best Kaiju films ever made. My dad who typically doesn't care for this stuff saw Gamera 3 with me. He said it was really good. The tone is similar in this movie, but the overall quality does not match the excellence of the trilogy. If you want to get into Kaiju films, I highly recommend those.

Easily in my top 10 favorite Godzilla movies. I also recommend this one to anyone looking to get into kaiju films. It's a non stop ride of fun and some great Kaiju action and special effects.

Final Score: 4/5

From what I understand, most of the recent Godzilla games are either pretty generic fighting games or a remake/port of one. Pity, cause I'd definitely pay 60 bucks to destroy Tokyo as Godzilla.

GXMG_Poster.jpg

Intro: Shhh. What's that sound? Oh it's a reboot. In this new timeline, the new Godzilla does battle with his mechanical double, Mechagodzilla. Here's Godzilla against Mechagodzilla.

Plot: In the year 1999, a large typhoon is ravaging the Japanese coast. In the midst of the storm, Godzilla resurfaces, his first appearance since 1954. Akane is one of the soldiers sent in to battle Godzilla with masers. In the chaos, she accidentally causes the deaths of several other soldiers. Godzilla goes back into the sea and Akane is moved to a desk job. The current prime minister (Kumi Mizuno) and Igarashi (Akira Nakao), the man who will become prime minster, discuss what to do about Godzilla. They remember that Serizawa's invention is long gone, so that can't be used. They remember struggles with monsters like Mothra and Gaira, but they don't compare. Dr. Yuhara, a scientist specializing in "DNA computers" is recruited by the government. While there, Igarashi shows him and several other scientists the skeleton of the 1954 Godzilla they recovered in the past. The government tells them that they wish to create a mechanical Godzilla around the bones of the original to fight Godzilla. Yuhara agrees to help and he along with his young daughter Sara begin living at the headquarters.

Four years later, Mechagodzilla is completed and is nicknamed Kiryu. Akane has also been reassigned to be one of the lead pilots for Kiryu, much to the annoyance of Hayama, whose brother was accidentally killed by Akane. When Kiryu is being shown to the public, Godzilla is spotted heading towards Japan. Kiryu is deployed and the two titans meet up. Kiryu throws out a barrage of rockets, missiles, and maser blasts, but they have little effect on Godzilla. Kiryu goes in for the kill with his ultimate weapon, the Absolute Zero Cannon, a weapon that will freeze anything to absolute zero. However, before it can fire, something causes the robot to shut down. Godzilla leaves and Kiryu is about to be taken in for repairs. Suddenly, Kiryu runs wild and begins mindlessly attack the city until his fuel reserves deplete an hour later. When Kiryu is brought back, Yuhara discovers that they lost control of the robot right after Godzilla roar. Due to having the memories of the first Godzilla, Kiryu lost its mind when it heard the roar and began to think that it was Godzilla.

Godzilla resurfaces a few weeks later and attacks Shinagawa. Putting faith in Kiryu once again, Igarashi orders Kiryu to be launched. the two titans battle it out again and Kiryu begins to have the upper hand. The absolute zero cannon is attempted again, but a shot from Godzilla's ray badly damages Kiryu and interferes with the controls. Akane reminds everyone that Kiryu can still be controlled form the inside, which she plans to do. everyone warns her not to, but she does anyway. Inside Kiryu, she manages to right the robot back and drop off a lot of the excess weaponry like the missile pack. The more agile Kiryu begins pummeling Godzilla. Hayama flies his plane into Godzilla's mouth, blocking him from using his ray. He tells Akane to use the absolute zero now that she has a chance. Kiryu flies up to Godzilla, removes the plane, grabs the Kaiju, and begins flying out to see with him. Both charge and fire their rays as they crash into the water, causing a large vortex of water that also becomes frozen. Everything is deathly quiet, until Godzilla emerges from the ice. his chest has been severely scarred and he retreats. Kiryu surfaces but has lost an arm and large portion of its chest and has no power left. Akane emerges from the robot and watches as Godzilla swims out to see.

Reflection: You may notice that the summary was short. That's because the movie is pretty short and has a lot of action scenes. The main character Akane would be more interesting if she wasn't just a retread of the main character from Godzilla vs. Megaguirus. In fact, this film is a lot like that one. Dr. Yuhara is decent and can be kinda goofy at times, but in an enjoyable way. Hayama is your generic bully character. Think the douchey Australian guy from Pacific Rim. The little girl Sara is surprisingly not annoying and actually has a sad back story about her mother dying. However, the way she talks about life and death just seems to philosophical and deep for a young girl no older than ten. Akira Nakao is back, once again playing a government official who gets angry at things. Perhaps the coolest appearance is Kumi Mizuno as the older prime minister. We haven't seen her in a long time and its great to see her back. Also, for all you baseball fans out there, Hideki Matsui has a cameo.

The monsters are pretty good. Godzilla looks like the design from 2000, but his skin has been made darker and he his spines are back to the traditional white color. I forgot to mention it in the last review, but we're back to the classic blue ray and the charge up effect in this movie for it is pretty cool. The suit itself is stiff at times, but it makes sense when he;s getting bombarded with missiles. This Godzilla also has some expressive yellow eyes that I wish were used more. Mechagodzilla, or Kiryu, is a great new take on the character. The design is a good modern update that stays in line with the original 70s version. Certainly better than the bizarre looking Mechagodzilla from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II. the suit itself is good in most shots, but looks kinda iffy in a couple. I kinda like the more realistic take on him by having him controlled via airplane from a distance as well as having a limited time to fight before he runs out of fuel. I also like the whole concept of him being built around the bones of the first Godzilla. That, along with the scene where it remembers being Godzilla is pretty unique and makes it stand out from other Mechagodzilla incarnations.

Michiru Oshima is back on music from Megaguirus. Her theme for Godzilla is back, but sounds heavier and more intense than it did before. Her theme for Kiryu is also very heroic and catchy. Aside from those two tracks however, there isn;t much worth noting about the music. Some Ifukube would've been cool.

This film is kinda forgettable. It has some great ideas, but the film is pretty short and just seems like filler until the next film. Not much to say about this one.

Sylveon said:
just throwing an idea but why don't you review some godzilla videogames too?
I won't do full blown reviews, but I can briefly talk about the ones I've played.

Godzilla Destroy all Monsters Melee- For GameCube and Xbox (original). I highly recommend this one. It's a fighting game with 11 monsters and several arenas that are filled now the building you can destroy or throw at other Kaiju. Even of you're not a Godzilla fan, I say pick this up f you enjoy fighting games. Found my copy for like ten bucks.

Godzilla Domination- This one's for GBA. There's not much to it. It's a beat 'em up with six different Kaiju, The graphics are very stylized and anime like. It's great for long, boring car rides. Of you find a copy for five bucks, consider picking it up.

Godzilla Unleashed- For the Wii. Not gonna mention the PS2 version cause it sucks ass and cut all the new characters. This game has 26 fighters and is a follow up to Destroy all Monsters Melee. Sadly, the motion controls are bad and the game is rushed. As such, there are glitches. On is a game breaking bug with Destoroyah where his laser horn is absurdly strong and can kill an opponent pretty fast. Thankfully, there's plenty of fan service with the roster. We even get Godzilla 54 and Varan! I only recommend this one of you're a big fan of the series.

The best Godzilla game is actually this one. http://www.awmstudioproductions.com/gdbr.html. It's a fan made indie game that's a 2D fighter with Godzilla characters. All the sprites were drawn by hand and they look fantastic. The Kaiju, locations, and music are all film accurate and out of all these games, feels the most like Godzilla. The game is still updated regularly when the creator has time. He did the whole thing himself (with the exception of the music). Also, protip for this game use the code 1131954 to unlock everything. Or you can clear arcade mode with every character.

So that's my rundown of Godzilla games I've played.

Kinda off topic, but Honest Trailers just posted this video. It explains a lot of my hate for Godzilla 98, and what we don't want to see in this new movie.

GTSOS_Poster.jpg

Intro: *GASP*. This one's not a reboot? By God! This film is a direct follow up to the last film. Godzilla and Mechagodzilla are back, along with a certain giant Moth. Here's Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S.

Plot: A year has passed since Godzilla's battle with Mechagodzilla. The robot is undergoing repairs and Godzilla is resting deep under the sea. In the Bonin Islands, a massive flying object is sighted. Two fighters go to intercept, but they are quickly dispatched. Satellite images show a massive multi colored wing. Nearby, an old man named Shinichi Chujo (Hiroshi Koizumi) is living in a small house with his nephew Yoshito and his grandson Shun. They are visited by the Shobijin, who have met Chujo years ago (in the orignal Mothra film). They tell him that Godzilla's bones inside Kiryu must be returned to the sea because it interferes with the balance of nature. Yoshito returns to his job, a mechanic working on repairing Kiryu. He attends a dinner party celebrating three pilots (including Akane and Hayama) who are leaving to train over in America. Yoshito briefly talks with a cute girl named Azusa and also runs into conflict with an arrogant pilot named Akiba. Yoshito decides to leave and goes into the Kiryu docking bay. In there, he meets up with Akane. She talks with him briefly about how she thinks Kiryu may not want to fight anymore and just wants to left in peace.

Chujo visits his old friend Prime Minister Igarashi. He tells the minister that they should heed the Shobijin's word and scrap the Mechagodzilla project. The minsiter acknowledges the ethical problems with Mechagodzilla, but decides that they need it for protection. In Kujukuri, the carcass of a large turtle kaiju named Kamoebas washes up on shore. It has massive claw marks in its neck, leading the government to believe Godzilla is active again. Soon, Godzilla attacks and american sub in Guam. During the repairs of Kiryu, it is impossible to fix the absolute zero cannon because it requires a massive diamond fuel source. to make matters worse, Kiryu still needs the final check up. If Godzilla were to attack, the robot would not be fully prepared. As if by fate, Godzilla finally reemerges and rampages through Shinagawa again, easily dealing with the army. However, Godzilla still has a large scar on his chest from his battle with Kiryu. The absolute zero cannon is replaced with a hyper maser and the robot is put on stand by.

During the evacuation, Shun sets up the Mothra symbol by using a ton of desks, much to the surprise of Chujo. Whenever the symbol is drawn, Mothar appears instantly. The massive insect arrives and does battle with Godzilla. During the battle, Shun and Chujo are trapped under some rubble. Kiryu is deployed to aid Mothra in her battle with Godzilla. Kiryu is not up to full strength and Godzilla manages to dispatch it. He tries to fire his atomic ray, but Mothra takes the hit instead. Back on Infant island, the Shobijin sing their song and two Mothra larvae emerge from an egg. They swim towards Tokyo. Yoshito rescues his uncle and nephew and takes them to safety. Kiryu is also taken out by Godzilla and needs to be repaired. Yoshito offers to do so and is taken to the robot to repair it. The two larvae arrive and battle Godzilla and their mother is killed in the scuffle, enraging the young kaiju. After Yoshito repairs Kiryu, the hatch is damaged and he is trapped inside the robot. He lies, saying he's free so Mechagodzilla can be put back into action. Godzilla and his mechanical double battle it out again and destroy the Capitol building.

Kiryu's hand morphs into a drill that slams into Godzilla's chest, gravely wounding him. Kiryu also begins spamming his hyper maser. Godzilla lets out a roar of agony that once again triggers memories of the 1954 Godzilla. Kiryu remains motionless as the larvae begin to wrap the barely moving Godzilla in silk. Kiryu is ordered to kill Godzilla, but the machine refuses. Suddenly, it begins acting on its own free will and grabs Godzilla and proceed sot fly out to see with him. Azusa shoots open the hatch door from her plane and Yoshito is able to jump out and be caught by akiba. He watches as Godzilla and Kiryu sink beneath the ocean waves and the two Mothra larvae swim back home. After the credits, we see that a sample of Godzilla's DNA from the 1999 attack is still being held in safe keeping in a secret research facility.

Reflection: Like the last film, this one's kinda short. A lot of Godzilla fans agree that most of the characters are really only here so we can get to the final battle. Yoshito doesn't do much as our lead. Azusa is your generic love interest and Akiba is your generic douchebag. He has so little development though, even worse than Hayama in the last film. The only really noteworthy character is Chujo who is played by the same actor who played him in the original Mothra. You may know the actor as the scientist who was in Mothra vs. Godzilla and Ghidorah: The Three Headed Monster. Aside from him though, not much to note. Though it is cool to see a veteran actor interact with some of the newer stars like Akira Nakao.

The suits are really good this time around, some of the best in the series. Godzilla looks the same as he did last film, but now has a huge badass scar on his chest. We don't get much of those expressive eyes, but Godzilla is still pretty solid in this film. Kiryu has gotten a visual upgrade from the last film. While I don't like the design itself as much as the first one, I think the suit is much better here than it was before in terms of quality. Mothra looks absolutely fantastic here. Much better than that fluffy thing from the 90s and much more like the traditional look than the GMK version. While that version looked cool, it was more like a wasp than a moth. The larvae are good as well. the don't do much, but they look fine. Having two is also a cool callback to Mothra vs. Godzilla. One final monster who gets a brief cameo is the corpse of the turtle beast Kamoebas, For those who don't know, Kameoebas is from a Toho kaiju film called Space Amoeba. I would've reviewed it if I owned it. The cameo is cool. Originally, the role was going to be given to Anguirus. If you know me, you know that I love Anguirus so I'm kinda bummed we missed a possible cameo.

Oshima is back on music. The score is practically the same as the last film. The themes for Godzilla and Kiryu are good like they were last time and I'd even say this version of the Oshima Godzilla theme is the best yet. One key difference from the last film's soundtrack is the inclusion of the Mothra Song here. It's great to hear it again. This new version still sounds great.

Like the last film, this one's just kinda there. I don't hate it. It certainly has some good stuff like excellent suits, some cool fanservice, and some enjoyable music tracks. But the film is really just a setup for the final battle.

GodzillaFinalWarsPoster.jpg

Intro: Well guys, here we are. My last review. It's been a wild ride full of kaiju, mechas, and aliens. Now, here's the last (as of right now) Godzilla film from a Toho. Godzilla Final Wars. Guess what. Reboot.

Plot: Back in the 60s, Godzilla did battle with the military massive flying battleship the Gotengo. After a tense fight, Godzilla is locked away in the ice for decades. Between then and now, an earth defense Force is established and at the same time, mutant humans are being discovered and recruited all over the world. Now why does that sound familiar? They have incredibly physical strength. In present time, the upgraded Gotengo is battling the serpent Manda on the ocean floor near some volcanoes. The ship is piloted by Captain Gordon (Don Frye) and several of the mutants are on board, including one named Kazama and another named Ozaki. Ozaki fires the Gotengo's maser and kills Manda. The ship is badly damaged and Gordon is called in for endangering the vessel and crew. He is put in a cell for striking his superior officer. Back at HQ, Ozaki is assigned to be a bodyguard for the UN biologist Miyuki Otonashi, who has been summoned by professor Jinguji (Kenji Sahara) to examine the mummified remains of a large kaiju. While there, Ozaki, Miyuki, and Jinguji are warped to Infant Island, where the Shobijin explain the origins of the monster, who is named Gigan. 1200 years ago, Mothra battled Gigan and defetaed him. The Shobijin warn that Gigan is evil, and that the mutants have that same evil running through their veins. As the three are warped back to the lab, they are given an ancient amulet.

The Secretary General of the United Nations (Akira Takarada) is on a plane to New York. However, his plane is destroyed by a massive flying object. In New York, the object makes itself known as the massive Pterodactyl Rodan! The EDF quickly sends out forces to combat. Soon, monsters start appearing all over the globe. Anguirus in Shanghai, King Caesar in Okinawa, Kamacuras is Paris, Kumonga in Arizona, and the American Godzilla (Zilla) in Sydney. In an unconnected event, an old man and his grandson find the tiny Minya in the forests of Mt. Fuji. In addition, the giant lobster Ebirah is attacking a power plant in Japan. Ozaki, Kazama, and several other mutants combat it with handheld masers and actually manage to take him down. Before they can kill him, Ebirah, as well as all the other kaiju are suddnely beamed up and disappear. A massive UFO appears over the EDF base and Commander Namikawa (Kumi Mizuno) is shocked to see the secretary general get beamed down from the ship. he tells of the aliens who saved him. They are taken inside the ship where they meet their saviors, the Xiliens. They explain to the people of Earth that another large planet named Gorath is on a collision course with Earth. they plan on helping earth get rid of it. They form a friendship with the people of Earth and the secretary general changes the United Nations to the Space Nations.

Miyuki's sister Anna is suspicious of the general and examines a tape of his speech. She notices that he does not blink his eyelids at all. She tells this to Ozaki and Miyuki. They try to confront the general and a knife wielding man tries to assassinate him. Due to this, they are able to examine a blood sample and deduce from it that he is not human. They begin to doubt the aliens and realize they can;t trust anyone when they find out Namikawa is an alien as well. Oazki claims that Gordon is still trustworthy and breaks him out. Gordon and a team of mutants kill Namikawa, who's skin splits apart and reveals a hideous alien. During a press conference, it is revealed that the General is an Xilien when he is shot and the true form shows itself. The commander of the aliens tries to explain, but he to is shot by the second in command Xilien. A young man who takes control over the operation. He refers to the humans as cattle as puts all the mutants except for Ozaki under mind control and orders them to kill the heroes. They manage to escape, but with Kazama in hot pursuit. After a motorcycle battle with Ozaki, Kazama in incapacitated. The Xilien commander awakens Gigan and re-releases all the monsters on Earth as well as the Xilien army.

Gordon and the remaining survivors organize a plan to go to the South Pole and wake up Godzilla and have him fight all the other monsters. They take the Gotengo and head to Antarctica. They are ambushed by Gigan, but manage to wake up Godzilla. The monster king battles Gigan briefly and ends the fight by blowing off the cyborg's head, much to the frustration of the commander. The Gotengo lures Godzilla through various locations. In Sydney, he kills the American Godzilla in 13 seconds flat. Suck it, Emmerich! In Papa New Guinea, he easily kills Kumonga. In Manazura Japan, Kamacurs meets a similar fate. Godzilla's march continues towards Mt. Fuji where he battles Rodan, Anguirus, and King Caesar all at once. They put up a short fight and Godzilla defeats them, but spares their lives. The Gotengo arrives in Tokyo to attack the mothership. They try to fire, but there's a barrier shield. Kazama takes a small fighter plane inside to sacrifice himself and destroy the shield generator. Now why does that seem familiar? With the shield down, the humans try to attack, but the Xiliens stop them and bring the aboard. At the same time, Godzilla manages to easily kill Ebirah and Hedorah (where the hell did he come from?).

The Xilien commander reveals that Ozaki is a special kind of mutant called a keizer that possess incredible power. The commander himself is also a keizer. Planet Gorath begins to approach Earth's atmosphere. Godzilla notices and fires a massive atomic ray into outer space and destroys the asteroid. However, as the dust clears, a new monster descends on the battlefield. The skeletal beast named Monster X. Godzilla fight it, but the new kaiju is very strong. The commander laughs at Godzilla, considering him a joke. Suddenly, Mothra arrives on the scene. The Xilien smirks and deploys the upgraded Gigan with chainsaw arms. Gigan manages to take Mothra out easily and the cyborg joins Monster X against Godzilla. Ozaki and the controller battle it out while Gordon and his crew battle with the other Xiliens. Back outside, Mothra returns and attacks Gigan, who leaves to pursue. In the battle, both Mothra and Gigan die, leaving just Godzilla and Monster X. In the ship, the crew reunites with the real Namikawa and Secretary General, who had been captured. They fleee to the ship while Ozaki and the Xilien battle to the death. awakening his Keizer powers, Ozaki beats the alien to pulp and thinks the day is won. However, the alien initiates the self destruct feature. Ozaki and the others just barely make it out.

Monster X begins to sprout massive golden wings and his head splits into three. Godzilla and the humans watch in shock as Monster X transforms into the massive Keizer Ghidorah. The dragon begins to suck the life force out of Godzilla, slowly killing him. Ozaki decides to use his Keizer powers to transfer a huge amount of energy to Godzilla. When he does so, Godzilla is revitalized, stronger than ever. with a combination of nuclear pulse, brute strength, and spiral ray, the dragon is thrown in to space and destroyed by Godzilla, who quickly turns his attention to the Gotengo. He fires an atomic ray, knocking it down. Godzilla goes in to finish them, but Minya arrives and tells Godzilla not to attack. Godzilla finally agrees and heads back to the sea, followed by the young one. Godzilla turns and gives out one final roar.

Reflection: Damn this movie is long. This film is really just a pure action film with very little substance. Sadly, none of the main characters are terribly interesting. Ozaki is the perfect definition a Mary sue (or Gray Stu in this case). He has little to no personality, has some chosen one bullshit and pulls weird powers out of his ass. The two main characters that are actually enjoyable are Gordon and the Xilien. Gordon is not acted that great, but the dude is badass who just spits out one liners constantly. Such a quotable character. The Xilien is hilariously over the top. He's so much fun just to watch go nuts. The supporting characters are quite good though. Akira Takarada is great as the Secretary General and Kumi Mizuno is a joy to see. The fact that her character is called Namikawa is a piece of fanservice I just can't resist. Kenji Sahara is also here, so plus one for that.

There are a ton of monsters, so I'll go through them all briefly. Godzilla himself looks great. A lot of people dislike the leaner design of this one, but I like it. Plus I can't imagine the fat 90s Godzilla doing some of these stunts. Despite being in the title, Godzilla actually isn't that relevant to the film. I'm fine with Godzilla having not that much screen time. The original did that flawlessly. Here, he just feels kinda thrown in, as do most of the Kaiju. Manda is a great example of that. He's just there to be killed by the Gotengo. The deign is fine, but he does little. Mothra is given a much smaller role than the last film. I'm fine with this because we had quite a bit of Mothra in the past few films. She looks identical to her Tokyo SOS appearance. Minya has an entire subplot dedicated to him that basically goes nowhere. Somehow, the suit looks less convincing than the one from 1967. I would've been fine without him. Gigan has been upgraded and he looks plain badass. Too bad he's killed so quickly. It's great to see him again though. His second from in this movie has chainsaws for arms. That's fucking awesome.

One controversial addition is the American Godzilla from the 98 film. He's just fodder for Godzilla to fight. But let me say this, Godzilla killing the American imposter in just a few second sis one of the best things a Godzilla fan could ask for. May that tuna head rot in hell. Kumonga is back for this film. Sadly, she's axed off pretty quickly. Hell, all the monsters are. That's my biggest problem with them. The monsters could have really used more focus. Unfortunately, there's so many that you can't focus on all of them. Kamacuras is also in this film after a long hiatus. He has the power of invisibility now, but Godzilla still kills him pretty quick. Rodan's role is insultingly small. You would think a major Kaiju like him would play a big part. Nope, just more fodder. It doesn't help that the suit and design for him are ugly as hell. My boy Anguirus is back and it's great to see him. I don't like his new design as much as the old one, but he still looks cool. He now has the ability to curl up into a ball and roll. King Caesar is an old choice and it probably would've been best if he was left out. He does little and the suit is pretty bad.

Ebirah is back and probably at his weakest. Seriously, he gets taken down by a couple soldiers. Ridiculous. The suit for him is pretty meh. The most insulting Kaiju though is Hedorah. By god is he poorly handled. You have Hedorah, one of the most powerful and dangerous of Godzilla's enemies who was pretty much immune to the atomic ray. And how do you respect that? By having him in the movie for less than a minute and have hi killed in one shot. It wouldn't have been as bad if they at least showed him earlier, but nope. He just shows up and gets killed like a pussy. Then there's Monster X. He has a cool and unique design, but just kinda shows up at the end. Then he transforms into his Ghidorah form. I have major problems here. The original Ghidorah was a badass, regal, and psychotic planet killer. Here, he looks like a fucking piñata. Why the hell would you make Ghidorah stand on all fours? It just looks odd and not fitting for Ghidorah. They also set him up as the most powerful monster ever, yet when Godzilla is supercharged with the plot device ray, he kills him easily. Fuck Keizer Ghidorah, give me my real Ghidorah.

The music is a real low point. It's done by unknown Keith Emerson. His music is generic video game schlock. The only two noteworthy songs are his theme for Godzilla and the opening credits theme. Unfortunately, there is no Ifukube in this film except for a couple seconds at the beginning. Seriously, it's the fiftieth anniversary film and you didn't include his music.

This is what pisses me off about this movie the most, what it could have been. This film was made to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Godzilla. How do we celebrate? A generic action picture full of clichéd characters, rip offs of The Matrix, X-Men, and Star Wars, and an overall just lack of Godzilla-ness. This film does not feel like a Godzilla film at all. Even films with vastly different ideas and tones like GMK still felt like a Godzilla movie. I get none of that here. There are a couple good things, but as it stands, this was a very poor way to end the Godzilla series.

Final Score: 2/5

I hope you enjoyed these reviews. This is something I'm really passionate about. It's a criminally underrated genre that everyone should see. Whether you're into the more heavy and serious stuff like the original and Mothra vs. Godzilla or the fun cheesy action films like Gigan and Megalon, there's something in the Godzilla franchise for you.

Do you want to get into these movies? If so, I highly recommend this box set.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/8044441?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227001211244&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=42154843870&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=35003745670&veh=sem
It's full of several classic Godzilla film. You have the essentials like the original, MvG, and the two Ghidorah movies. It also has All Monsters Attack if you want some MST3K fun. Make sure you watch the Japanese versions as they are superior. This is especially important for the original film.

Now that my reviews are done, what will I do now you may ask? You know exactly where to find me. In a movie theater. Now go get hyped for Godzilla 2014.

Wait it's an underrated franchise but most of these movies have either sucked or been mediocre

Because people assume all the films suck. Yes, there are some stinkers, but that's if you look at these films critically. While stuff like the original and Mothra vs. Godzilla are excellent pieces of cinema, some films like Gigan are not that good, but they're still enjoyable. Hell, I can find something I like in just about all of these films (with the exception of the 98 film). You can't go into every movie expecting a masterpiece like the original.

And if you're not interested, then why the hell are you in this thread?

Back