Funny thing I said about Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Winter Olimpic Games

Bowser loses his dignity when Birdo was about to kiss him, sooooo...

Northern Verve said:
If Cosmo had been promoted to a game status years ago though. She'd have been like a Sonic equivalent mix between Daisy and Rosalina, a love interest for Tails (In case anyone here is not familiar with Sonic X that really does happen, heck Daisy and Luigi themselves actually barely have any chemistry actually shown compared to Tails and Cosmo in Sonic X) and a female character with a bit of tragedy in her backstory and not from Sonic's world.
In Archie Comics' case, they stick more to their own canon and still decides which other game/cartoon media story fits in. Maybe Cosmo's story fits in the world of Archie, but as result she didn't appear.
I chose not to watch Sonic X series mostly because the plot writers using Chris (and other human characters) to feature the story but obviously not to make them playable heros in contemporary games. The Boom series would be an independent canon that might allow any abandoned story details, but I suppose that the plot writers probably just skip Cosmo or Sally again for that they're not considered the stars of this series.
Mario series doesn't really have the crossmedia story problem ('let's forget the forbidden Super Brooklyn Show :P), though Nintendo's attitude to cross-subseries is almost the same.

Back to this topic, Cream and Rouge are fairly enough to be in this series as I believed.

And their Mario counterparts can be Toadette and Birdo, easy.

Yah, I know, but we can always add a Sonic character after.

Back