Funny thing I said about Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Winter Olimpic Games

chillv

9-Volt must be my video game counterpart.
I noticed that there are only four playable females in the game. I was thinking about it and said that maybe they did that because it really doesn't look right for men to be "body-checking" women.

I laughed after saying that. By body check, I am refering to the hockey term. However, if you think about in another way, it sounded like I was saying it in a way like "checking women out".

I have encountered similar moments like this, but they are way too sexually explicit (sexual innuendo) to post here.

I'm pretty sure there isn't much females playable mainly because there aren't much females to use in the first place. I don't think it has anything to do with gender roles.

Baby Luigi said:
I'm pretty sure there isn't much females playable mainly because there aren't much females to use in the first place. I don't think it has anything to do with gender roles.

Yeah, the only other possible females could have been Rosalina, and they could have made Rouge and Birdo playable instead of just being bosses.

DragonFreak said:
I Classify Birdo as male, because it appeals to me so if he is.
birdo has identity issues
he thinks he's a woman
he was lied to by his parents and the government
or he's a hermaphrodite

Birdo thinks she's a girl, therefore you should classify her as a girl

chillv said:
Baby Luigi said:

Yeah, the only other possible females could have been Rosalina, and they could have made Rouge and Birdo playable instead of just being bosses.

Don't involve Rosalina in that piece of shit series. She's too important for that.

Well, it would make sense why Yoshi has a long stretchy tongue...

Halfly the reason should be more like the unchanged roster, not gender bias.

It's actually strange that both genders participate in most real-world Olympics sports. Now this game series give us a very bad gender ratio that is unable to reflect the real world. Also many important female characters aren't playable yet.

Mario side has Birdo, and Rosalina if Nintendo really want to favor her, which makes more sense than SM3DW. So far there are no other choices if Nintendo still exclude toads (Toad and Toadette), Pauline and subseries heoines.

Sonic side is easier, here are Cream and Rouge. Not to offend, Blaze's status is similar with the recent Rosalina since her history isn't longer than many other recurring Sonic heroines.

小龙怪 said:
I Classify Birdo as male, because it appeals to me so if he is.
I don't think Nintendo "allow" you to classify such a fact, not to say the issue of genderless species. Generally, Birdo is a girly character, it's not far from how public use their stereotypes. Then again, Birdo being unplayable doesn't help this topic at all.

I could see them adding Rosalina and others into the series for the 2016 Olympics. I know the roster didn't expand for 2010 or 2012. Though I would like them to do something other then just Olympics sometime. There's plenty more they could do with a Sonic and Mario crossover other then Smash Bros. and the Olympics series.

though if it were up to me I'd include Cosmo from Sonic X as Rosalina's Sonic counterpart

what? I liked her

even if she did canonically die in the actual series...

Unless one of the two companies give up Olypmics, for now it seems like Olympics 2016 is still coming.

Sally is one of the notable cases in the complex Sonis history. Though the X animation series is based on official canon, unlike comics or the upcoming Boom, it also added many non-game-appearance regulars. If Cosmo doesn't count, at least there is Helen. Still non-game-appearance is a big obastacle. Wave is more like a candidate than any of the above.

The most similar case in Nintendo, as I can remember, is Tiff and Tuff.

Dorayaki said:
Sally is one of the notable cases in the complex Sonis history. Though the X animation series is based on official canon, unlike comics or the upcoming Boom, it also added many non-game-appearance regulars. If Cosmo doesn't count, at least there is Helen. Still non-game-appearance is a big obastacle. Wave is more like a candidate than any of the above.

The most similar case in Nintendo, as I can remember, is Tiff and Tuff.

I wasn't really seriously thinking Cosmo would become a game character. Especially, now since it's been almost a decade since Sonic X ended. And probably if there was one character from a non-video game source to become a canon character. It'd probably be Sally first since I think she's the most popular character in the Sonic franchise not to ever appear in a video game (Unless you count the cameo appearence in Sonic Spinball, but that's literally all she had. Plus that'd mean... Chris Thorndyke would also be in contention of appearing in the games because he appeared on a billboard in one of the missions in Sonic Adventure DX :S). Not only just because Sally's in a much more iconic series of the past but she still plays a role in the ongoing Archie comics.

If Cosmo had been promoted to a game status years ago though. She'd have been like a Sonic equivalent mix between Daisy and Rosalina, a love interest for Tails (In case anyone here is not familiar with Sonic X that really does happen, heck Daisy and Luigi themselves actually barely have any chemistry actually shown compared to Tails and Cosmo in Sonic X) and a female character with a bit of tragedy in her backstory and not from Sonic's world.

Misty said:
Yoshi doesn't love Birdo, for the last time!
There's an official source (which the wiki article cited) that says otherwise.

On the official Japanese site for Mario Kart: Double Dash!! the description for Catherine states "Catherine appears to be Yoshi's girlfriend... or does that mean boyfriend!?" (「ヨッシーの彼女に見えて実は彼氏!?」

Back