Debate Your Character! (Newcomers AND Unconfirmed Veterans allowed)

Me: Did pacman get announced yet?
Nothern Verve: Nah.
Me: Light the beacons when he does.

images

Character Name: Paper Mario

Series: Paper Mario Series

Debut Game: Paper Mario (N64)

Reasons why people don't think this character will make it in:

Many people think that this is basically a clone of Mario.

Rebuttals/Opposite argument to the reasons above:

He is not a clone of Mario because he have many different weapons to use such as hammer and partners.

Opening statement on why you believe this character should be playable:

He has a movepool distinct enough to draw a completely original fighting style. Paper Mario’s attacks in the original series all revolve around the use of jumps and his hammer, as well as items and support from partner characters he meets along his journey.

Also i decided to go even further and give him a moveset to show you guys:

Standard Special: For the time being, I picture Mario summoning Sushi the Cheep-Cheep for this attack. The only problem I see with this is that it’s essentially the same attack as Mario’s FLUDD and Squirtle’s Water Gun.

Side Special: One of Mario’s Koopa partners (either Koops from Thousand Year Door or Kooper from the orignal) jumps out from Mario and jumps in his shell, then shoots across the screen. A way to make this move interesting would be to include a boomerang-like attribute to the attack where Mario could jump over the returning shell and it would travel behind him, still able to deal damage. Also, if a player jumps on top of the shell, then the Koopa is stunned for a few seconds before returning to Mario.

Down Special: Mario sets one of his Bob-omb partners (Bombette from the original or Admiral Bobbery from TTYD) on the ground and continues to fight normally. The Bob-omb walks forward for a second or two then explodes.

Up Special: Parakarry (the Paratroopa from the first game) grabs onto Mario and carries him upwards. You could influence the direction he travels as well, through usage of the control stick, but you still travel upwards. Another idea I have is to summon the Lakitu partner Lakilester and ride in his cloud.

Smash attacks will use the Hammer, as it’s practically used in the same fashion in the game.

Side A will have Watt the Lil’ Sparky rush the enemy with an Electro Dash attack

Down A Air can be Mario’s Groundpound he gains with his Ultra Boots

Other attacks can utilize the Badge system from Paper Mario

A Taunt where Goombario (Original) or Goombella (TTYD) uses Tattle on one of the other fighters, acting sort of like Snake’s CODEC.

When you hold the jump button after the second jump, Mario turns into a paper-airplane that functions just like Pit, Charizard, and Metaknight’s glide abilities.

When Paper Mario enters water, he turns into a paper boat. (Maybe not, though, as this could mean he couldn’t sink. Aah, let him sink just like everyone else.)

When he performs a dodge, Lady Bow the Boo grabs him and turns him invisible.

Also, alternate colors for Paper Mario could be the Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi colors obtained by equipping the L and W badges.

Also, Paper Mario would be incredibly light, you know, since he’s made of paper. He would have one of the slowest falling speeds in the game. (Even though that’s not true in the Paper Mario Universe)

I don't want to see any more Mario characters. We already have five, not to mention DK, Diddy, Yoshi, and potentially Wario. Paper mario would be a fun and unique character, but we don't need any more Mario characters.

So after the direct here's a few status updates on all the characters that have been put up.

UNCHANGED

Ghirahim (There's rumors that the Trophy Quiz thing in the direct were hint to Newcomers. Fi from Skyward Sword possibly hinting that we're getting a Skyward Sword newcomer. Frankly, after both Greninja and Rosalina being Newcomers. It's not looking as farfetched anymore. But still we need to know if the rumor is true before thinking Ghirahim's chances have raised)
Wolf
Issac (Every person hoping for Issac must of been scared when the Assist Trophies were being shown in the direct. Issac fans for now can rest as Issac wasn't among those among the shown Assist Trophies even though most were returning Assist Trophies.)
Chrom (If the Trophy Quiz = Newcomer Clue is true. Then the Tiki trophy helps Chrom. But like Ghirahim, we have no clue as of now)
Miis (There was a Mii in the Find Mii/Streetpass Quest stage. But that far from deconfirms the Mii. If you think it does, Toon Link has something to say to you.)
Ghor
Gengar
Dillon
Lucas (MOTHER items showed up in screenshots shown after the Direct. But this only serves to prove that Earthbound will get representation.)
Paper Mario
Asuka

QUESTIONABLE

Ridley (I might get heat for this for thinking it's questionable. But I was already a bit unsure about Ridley after the mention last August when they revealed the Pyrosphere. And I'm only more so for the obvious Ridley appearence. Even if it's just a different type of Ridley like some would say it could be Meta Ridley or that the Ridley will be Other M Ridley while the playable Ridley will be based on the Super Metroid Ridley. Ridley playable chances have more questions then it has answers. Don't get me wrong though, I'd love to be wrong about this)
Mewtwo (Greninja and Charizard being alone now has created quite some uncertainty in the Pokemon representation)

POSSIBLY RAISED

Pac-Man (An item in one of the screenshots after the direct was a pixelating flagpole that seems to be like an Assist Trophy specifically for Namco characters was shown. If Namco characters can appear through items. Why can't there be at least one in the Playable roster?)

Back