Debate Your Character! (Newcomers AND Unconfirmed Veterans allowed)

ah, that's better

now you just have to answer yoshiwaker's questions
Yoshiwaker said:
i have 2 questions for sm:
1. how long did it take to write that post
2. how else could you have used that time

Well first I compiled the list of reasons I saw over at Smashboards and/or here that people didn't want or thought could keep Miis out of the game when I was over at the Public library with my laptop. And then when I got home after watching some videos that I downloaded to watch, I started typing up answers to each one. I started the answer typing about maybe 10 PM and I was finished at about 1 AM. So yeah... about 3-4 hours maybe?

I admit I have a lot of free time though :V

200px-MewtwoFRLG.png

Character Name: Mewtwo
Series: Pokémon
Smash Bros. game(/s) the Character was Playable in: Melee

Reasons why people think this character will/should be cut (Or in the case of characters like Mewtwo and Roy, won't return from Melee): People think that ever since Lucario came back he has replaced him, shares his moves and Mewtwo is not revelant anymore to be in smash unlike lucario who is more recent.

Rebuttals/Opposite Argument to the reasons above:

• Um Lucario didn't replace Mewtwo and if they had more space in brawl by scrapping subspace I could definitively see him being playable along with Lucario.Plus there's this part http://www.ssbwiki.com/mewtwo#Unfinished_data. Which also means that mewtwo was scrapped and even considered for the game.
  • Jeez how to explain this, Lucario and Mewtwo are two different characters and they only share one move which is even different: Neutral B. Mewtwo's Shadow balls tend to Zig-zag while Lucario's Aura Spheres are just straight. Other then that I don't really see them taking moves from each other.
  • There are various reasons why Mewtwo is now revelant: He starred in a movie in one of his Mega forms along genesect, He was in the last episode of Pokemon origins against Red and last of all he's once again catch-able in X and Y with two mega evolutions to boot, Not to mention He's one of the strongest pokemon ever that could possibly rival arceus if he could cover his weaknesses and he's still popular in the pokemon fanbase along with Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Lucario and even Pokemon trainer's pokemon.

Opening Statement on why you believe this veteran should return:

Well to start with he's probably the most fan requested character that should return in Smash and if you ever saw that Sakurai and staff said "They're thinking about it" which opens a new light on the possibility of him returning to smash and ever since a SSB4 subspace is now scrapped I could see his chances rising to an acceptable 60%. That is including that he is now winning his audience back recently (Being in a movie recently, being in the successfully short but acclaimed Pokemon origins as Red's battle in the last episode and his most recent favorable involvement in X and Y) and his two mega evolutions could give him a nice chance for a transformation Final Smash or even an improved moveset to express that he is the strongest pokemon ever or even so going as far that you could get the whole Sheik/Zelda deal by getting both Mewtwo X and Mewtwo Y as one character swap at the cost of him losing his useful down B. They could even improve his moveset to make him somewhat more manageable to fight with like it was shown in the fan mod Project M and since it seems that Sakurai and staff have considered good fan candidates like Little Mac shows that, once again I repeat, an Acceptable 60% chance of coming back at best.

I'm all for Miis as a character, I always have been. But, if alt costumes are really a thing, I suspect that we might be able to customize Villager with a Mii Mask instead of getting them as a separate character, which is fine because it would (probably) keep everyone happy. Naysayers wouldn't have to use them or see them occupying a separate character slot, and players who wanted Mii would just main Villager. My only disappointment would be that they wouldn't draw from the Streetpass Games for their moves.

as for Mewtwo I seriously hope he makes it in

To be particularly honest about Mewtwo, I really don't want him in. I feel that a Lucario-Style Character from the new generations, such as Greninja would be more fitting. Not to mention, I never felt comfortable fighting Mewtwo (Legendary) as Pikachu, Pichu, or Jigglypuff (Not Legendary) and then winning. It seems like the rule of Pokemon states that a legendary would win.

Fighting games by their very nature are kind of nonsensical. If Phoenix Wright can beat down The Avengers in a crossover fighter, then Pikachu should have no problem taking on Mewtwo.

I feel that Mewtwo should not be in it, I like Lucario more, and still doubt that they would have included both of them, the data was probably something that they started, and then they changed their mind. I think if Mewtwo were to return his moveset should be greatly changed, either him or Lucario. I also highly doubt that he will return after his absence in Brawl. This is my opinion and I have nothing against Mewtwo. If he returns, great! One more character to fight while I play as Goku. (lol)

The Big Nosed Dino said:
To be particularly honest about Mewtwo, I really don't want him in. I feel that a Lucario-Style Character from the new generations, such as Greninja would be more fitting. Not to mention, I never felt comfortable fighting Mewtwo (Legendary) as Pikachu, Pichu, or Jigglypuff (Not Legendary) and then winning. It seems like the rule of Pokemon states that a legendary would win.
I defeat Legendaries all the time, in game and against other people, with normal Pokemon.

Do I want Mewtwo to return? Wouldn't really excite me, I found him to be one of the worst fighters in Melee. I would be happy for all of his fans though. I also find him to be one of the most iconic Pokemon and think he shouldn't have been cut to start out with.

Do I think he'll return? Definitely. With Little Mac's confirmation he's the only non-Brawl character remaining that I consider to be a shoe-in. He's more requested worldwide than any actual newcomer, he's one of the most iconic Pokemon out there as said above, Pokemon is extremely likely to get five slots, and I believe it's even been said that they were thinking about bringing him back. I would be extremely surprised if Mewtwo isn't back.

I can only see Mewtwo coming back if the trainer doesn't. If all the Brawl Pokemon come back, that's six already. Seven would be over kill. If we're gonna go with five Pokemon, then it should be like this.

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Lucario
Charizard
Mewtwo

i don't really see what the problem is with seven reps. mario has six+ reps and pokemon is just as (if not more) popular

mario
luigi
peach
rosalina
bowser
yoshi
wario?
(donkey kong, diddy kong are kinda mario reps but not exactly)

I don't think the Trainer even slightly hurts the chances of Pokemon having five slots. He may have three Pokemon, but he still only uses up one slot on the roster.

Smasher said:
I don't think the Trainer even slightly hurts the chances of Pokemon having five slots. He may have three Pokemon, but he still only uses up one slot on the roster.
But that's still three completely unique characters that all take up data in the game.

I realize that.

I partially feel as if Pokemon Trainer is not at all necessary in the games. I would not mind, but he has no real need to be in the next game.

Yoshi 2.0 said:

If Smash went by Canon, the only character that could defeat Ganondorf would be Link because he has the Master Sword. And Olimar couldn't beat anybody because he's only about a few inches tall

Yoshi 2.0 said:
I feel that Mewtwo should not be in it, I like Lucario more, and still doubt that they would have included both of them, the data was probably something that they started, and then they changed their mind. I think if Mewtwo were to return his moveset should be greatly changed, either him or Lucario. I also highly doubt that he will return after his absence in Brawl. This is my opinion and I have nothing against Mewtwo. If he returns, great! One more character to fight while I play as Goku. (lol)

They didn't make Lucario to replace Mewtwo. The only similarity the two have is their normal B move (Mewtwo's is purple, Lucario's is blue). Mewtwo just had the bad luck of not being finished before the game reached it's deadline.

GalacticPetey said:
Yoshi and Wario are separate series.
They both have their roots in Mario, and Yoshi is certainly a part of the Mario series despite having his own spin-offs. Wario's the same way, although he doesn't appear quite as often in Mario games.

Dr. Javelin said:
GalacticPetey said:
Yoshi and Wario are separate series.
They both have their roots in Mario, and Yoshi is certainly a part of the Mario series despite having his own spin-offs. Wario's the same way, although he doesn't appear quite as often in Mario games.
Well, that's not my decision. Smash labels them as separate series.

well fine then. label the gen I pokemon as one series and label the others as a different series. would that make you happy?

The hell are you talking about? The OFFICIAL game labels Yoshi and Wario as separate, so that's how they ought to be considered.

no, i'm saying the the labels don't really matter when you're talking about how many reps a series has

and yeah, what smasher said. pokemon trainer fits 3-in-one, which makes it look like there are less reps from pokemon

Don't be so sure. While Pac-Man is a possibility, don't bet on it. While he has a chance, it's not that likely.

In addition, if he was in the game, we would've seen him by now. Sakurai hypes up 3rd Party characters a lot. They were the only Brawl unlockables shown before release.

GalacticPetey said:
Don't be so sure. While Pac-Man is a possibility, don't bet on it. While he has a chance, it's not that likely.

In addition, if he was in the game, we would've seen him by now. Sakurai hypes up 3rd Party characters a lot. They were the only Brawl unlockables shown before release.
Ever heard of the best for last concept? Just in the end when all hope seems lost you unleash your special weapon or in this case Pac Man.

Back