Mario Kart 8 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Re: Mario Kart 8

FYI, I can beat Mirror Mode in Dario Dart Mubble Cash in my sleep.

Snawfulthemerry25 said:
I didn't find unlocking Petey and King Boo too hard, just tedious. Can't speak for Rosalina since I had a Galaxy save file.
I didn't when I unlocked her. It was slightly tedious, but definitely not tough.

The Meta Knight Before Christmas said:
You mean if you don't get blue shelled right before the finish line?

which doesn't happen often at all???

seriously, people think it happens as often as you receiving a banana for an item

Baby Luigi said:

seriously, people think it happens as often as you receiving a banana for an item
Well in my experience that frequency isn't too off.

Snawfulthemerry25 said:
Baby Luigi said:

it's not

consider moments where it didn't happen to you to moments where it actually did

most of the time, the race is in your favor compared to the less frequent ones.

Here's my opinion on which installment is the worst:
Super Mario Kart's actually a pretty cool game to look back on. It was the first game in the series, and the game has aged better visually than 64. The big problems with it are the two-player limit and the reused themes.
Mario Kart: Super Circuit has some great tracks, and the graphics are at the least good for a Game Boy Advance kart racer. I personally think that they're great. In addition, it introduced single-player VS mode. The problem is how loose the controls are. Regardless, this is still a solid entry in the series.
I really don't think I need to explain the later games, but I will give some quick impressions anyway:
• Double Dash!!- bigger roster, different karts, first game to introduce unlockable characters and karts, best version of Battle Mode, fun and unique tracks, two exclusive characters, great visuals for the time, Special Items, two characters on one kart, two-player Co-op, and LAN support
• DS- ALL modes in single-player, introduction of online, good 3D graphics, fan-favorite tracks, emblem creator, freaking Mission Mode, another great incarnation of Battle Mode, the return of retro tracks, the introduction of retro battle arenas, and 36 karts that can be used by any character once Mirror Mode is beaten
• Wii- the best roster in terms of relevance, better online, two-player online, more karts, bikes, more top-notch tracks, controller options, Coin Runner, VS Mode and Battle for single-player, the return of retro tracks and arenas, and hacking (yes, I count that)
• 7- kart customization, gliding sections, underwater sections, even better online, Communities, the third return of retro tracks and arenas, Lakitu, Wiggler (yes, I liked him), single-player Shy Guy, and no Waluigi (I kid, I kid)
• 8- the return of kart customization, the return of gliding and underwater sections, more karts, the return of bikes, ATVs (quads in Europe), the fourth return of retro tracks, anti-gravity, the largest roster in the series, fantastic tracks, gorgeous visuals, the Super Horn, online tournaments, and excellent DLC
That leaves 64 as the odd one out, and for good reason. Aged visuals, 2D character sprites, poor AI, overall chunkiness, simple modes that are basically the ones from the first game with about on notable change each (Mirror Mode, ghosts, the bomb car, etc.), and the fact that all but one of its tracks and arenas have been brought back in later games. Basically, it's old. What I will give the game is its great track design and charm (comic intergections and Easter eggs such as Peach's Castle). Regardless of its redeeming factors, 64 is the worst installment of the series in 2015.

1P: DS>8>Wii>DD!!>7>SC>SMK>64
MP: DD!!>8>7>Wii>DS>SC>64>SMK
Visuals: 8>Wii>7>DD!!>DS>SC>SMK>64
Overall: DD!!>8>DS>7>Wii>SC>SMK>64

How does 64 control? I haven't played it in a while.

Because Super controls like a bar of soap.

Magikrazy said:

Comparable to Super Circuit.

IGN gave Double Dash!! a 7.9 for copying 64, having low production value, containing a worse version of Battle Mode, and having a small, predictable trail of unlockable content. They called 64 the best game in the series. The first part is wrong, the second part is wrong, the third part is definitely wrong, the fourth part is absolutely wrong, and the fact that they called 64 the best is blasphemy and shows how retarted many of their opinions are.

Baby Luigi said:
Snawfulthemerry25 said:
Baby Luigi said:

it's not

You're right, blue shells don't appear much, but now in MK8, I'll be lucky to get anything other than a freaking coin, which is just as frustrating.

Lumastar said:
IGN gave Double Dash!! a 7.9 for copying 64, having low production value, containing a worse version of Battle Mode, and having a small, predictable trail of unlockable content. They called 64 the best game in the series. The first part is wrong, the second part is wrong, the third part is definitely wrong, the fourth part is absolutely wrong, and the fact that they called 64 the best is blasphemy and shows how retarted many of their opinions are.

And that's just absurd

Dr. Mario's Drunken Holiday Elixir said:
Magikrazy said:

64? I don't have too much trouble with 64's controls, but Super Circuit is virtually unplayable for me.

I only played SMK on SSB4's Masterpieces, but while I managed to get first somehow in that race, the controls were almost as bad as SC's.

Baby Luigi said:
Snawfulthemerry25 said:
Baby Luigi said:

which doesn't happen often at all??

it's not

You're right, blue shells don't appear much, but now in MK8, I'll be lucky to get anything other than a freaking coin, which is just as frustrating.
The coin is worthless.

Lumastar said:

are you sure they're the same writers?

ign usually makes good opinions in their more recent reviews of games that can be agreeable but i'm a bit skeptical since there's a lot of bs here

Baby Luigi said:
Lumastar said:

ign usually makes good opinions in their more recent reviews of games that can be agreeable but i'm a bit skeptical since there's a lot of bs here
This was years ago, but it's still something I will never let escape my mind. Also, I said many of their opinions, not most of their opinions. Opinions such as the fact that Kirby: Triple Deluxe deserved a 6.5, a lower score than Yoshi's New Island which got a 7.8. The ****?

EDIT: Wait, it was a 7.9, not 7.8.

I enjoyed MK64 for being the first Mario game I have played. It's the most memorable for me along with Double Dash as I had that one longer. I don't see too much of a problem when it came to CPUs, they had the disadvantage of sending out any Shells so no Spiny Shells coming at you and it was somewhat a challenge when you were with them which not all MK games have. The graphics were bad but that didn't make the courses look bad. I really disliked SMK and MKSC for the handling when driving, I was bad at driving and SMK had very similar courses, GBA not so much.

Lumastar said:
Baby Luigi said:
Lumastar said:

This was years ago, but it's still something I will never let escape my mind. Also, I said many of their opinions, not most of their opinions. Opinions such as the fact that Kirby: Triple Deluxe deserved a 6.5, a lower score than Yoshi's New Island which got a 7.8. The ****?

EDIT: Wait, it was a 7.9, not 7.8.
Kirby games tend to get more flack for doing the same thing New Super Mario Bros. has done. Hell, Kirby's Return to Dream Land got lower aggregate scores than New Super Mario Bros. Wii, and it was criticized for being too much like the SNES game.

tangent.

Baby Luigi said:
Pfft, no, getting a star in 150cc cups isn't tough at all. The worst I usually do is get double stars if I try and things go out as they should.

I think you're not getting my point, but I guess that's my fault because I'm not making it clear enough. My point is that unlocking Petey Piranha, King Boo and Rosalina isn't that hard, but it's definitely not something you can call easy, no matter how good you are at the game. You have to work on it. What I'm trying to say is that it is definitely much harder than the unlocking criteria in Mario Kart 8. You could beat all 8 cups in 50cc and you could get 8 freaking characters which is more than half of the total amount of unlockable characters, for doing basically nothing. There's no variety when it comes to unlocking stuff, and there isn't much to unlock, which is something really important to me.

You are right when you're saying that maybe I'm not choosing the right game because I want a lot of unlockables. I don't want a Smash Bros amount of unlockable content, but something like Double Dash would be nice. A couple of characters, two cups (one of which is basically all the cups together), a couple of battle arenas and a good amount of cars. Some of those are easy, some of those are kind of harder. There's variety in both content and difficulties, and that's a huge flaw that Mario Kart 8 has: it offers none of that.

Lumastar said:
Yeah, the character unlock conditions in Mario Kart 8 suck. 7's not too hot either. I miss the days of DD!!, DS, and Wii unlock conditions.
So do I. I really hate the random character unlocking system in Mario Kart 8 and I really hope that Nintendo will hopefully find a way of how to get rid of it. I really hope they will change the starting roster too.

In fact, I still really hate that players are racing against characters that they haven't unlocked yet. Players cannot race against Rosalina, Toadette, Lakitu, and the 7 Koopalings until these characters are officially unlocked. In fact, Rosalina doesn't even deserve to be unlockable. Nintendo really needs to take this new feature out to avoid spoilers.

I was actually thinking of making a thread about what do you think the Mario Kart 8 character roster should have been or what it will look like in the future.

Dr. Mario's Drunken Holiday Elixir said:
Magikrazy said:

No way they are comparable. 64 controls are good, SC are terrible, probably the worst with Super Mario Kart.

smk and n64 are fucking awful

sc isnt great, mainly due to 4000 bowsers castle tracks

dd is kind of an odd ball but has rather neat features

ds makes me want to vomit, wii and mk7 are pretty good though

dunno about 8 yet but not sure i want to bother yet

i dont get why people hate ds, it was controllable, had some good tracks and the mission mode was cool too

the only tracks i liked were waluigi pinball and tick tock clock

the music was really boring or just bland in most tracks

and the models were really awful

game looked about as ugly as mk64 wtf

DS introduced snaking, that technique is lame and breaks Mario Kart imo. As a result only two karts were viable, Dry Bomber and Egg 1. Also minor but DS had awful graphics for the characters.

Back