Post moments where you encountered a glitch in a game.

I love trying to do glitches in Super Paper Mario. Once I found out there was an infinite jump glitch with Thudley, flipping and groundpound cancels, I started practicing it until I was relatively consistent. Then I abused it all over the place to see what other weird glitches I could produce with it. For one, in areas with multiple layers of 2D space and bottomless pits, you can fuck with where Mario respawns when he falls in a pit. In 3D, jump from one layer to the other and infinite jump to a bottomless pit without touching the ground. Mario will respawn at the last ground he was standing on, but since this occurs in 2D, and he's respawning in a different layer of 2D space, a variety of different things can happen depending on where you do this. Some areas such as Flipside outskirts results in there being no visible ground and you're walking around an invisible area with only the flames from streetlights visible.

Or some other places, you'll see one layer while you're actually on another, so depending on where the pits and objects are, you can stand on thin air or fall through the ground. In most cases, flipping back to 3D fixes everything. I've also softlocked the game in a few occasions by using infinite jump to go out of bounds, land on ground that's normally not accessible, then infinite jump from there to a bottomless pit. Sometimes, the game will softlock because it doesn't know how to respawn Mario in that exact spot.

Most of my explanations for these glitches are simply guesses btw. I have no idea why they actually happen, but I imagine my guesses are reasonable.

The most recent one that I can think of off the top of my head is during my revisit of StarFox 64, I somehow glitched that one scene in venom where Fox says "I'll go it alone from here" before going to confront Andross but instead he just flew around in a circle for seemingly forever.

Seems I'm not the only one who has encounter this issue...

Back