2016 NFL Season

oh my poochy what if we WIN THE SUPER BOWL

Or at least make it to the playoffs. I was eight years old the last time we were in the playoffs and I had only started to root for the Raiders, so my memories of that are quite distant.

I originally was going to write a little about each game, but I ended up writing about every team so I figured I may as well rank them in the process. So here are my personal Week 5 NFL Power Rankings.

As a disclaimer, I tend to look at the quality of wins, not the quantity of wins(or just losses, if you’re the Browns). Better teams might have worse records depending on who they’ve played.

1. Patriots
  • The Patriots can quickly forget about their game against Buffalo as Tom Brady is back and the Pats look like their old selves again. They should run away with this division.

2. Vikings
  • The Vikings’ offense looks better week by week and the defense is showing no signs of slowing down. If Bradford stays healthy, this team will go far.

3. Steelers
  • The week 3 loss to Philadelphia feels like ancient history as the Steelers trounced the Chiefs and Jets in back-to-back weeks. Pittsburgh is a contender and has their sights set on home-field advantage in the playoffs.

4. Broncos
  • As I predicted, the Falcons picked off Paxton Lynch in Denver territory and converted for a touchdown, while Denver struggled to move the ball all day. That said, the Broncos defense is still among the best and when Siemian is playing, they should still be considered the favorites of the AFC West.

5. Cowboys
  • I thought the Bengals would at least play them close(in fact I picked them to win), but Dallas was very impressive in their unexpected blowout of Cincinnati.. Whether Romo returns this season or not, Prescott is their quarterback of the future. The Cowboys take over atop the NFC East.

6. Falcons
  • The Falcons offense faced their toughest test in Denver, and passed. Even against Denver’s stout defense, Ryan was able to connect downfield for explosive plays that led to points. Atlanta should be considered the division favorites as Carolina gets off to a slow start.

7. Packers
  • Green Bay’s win over the New York Giants was a solid one, and they improve to 3-1 and keep Minnesota within reaching distance in the NFC North. Through 4 games, their run defense has allowed an astonishing 42.8 yards per game.

8. Seahawks
  • *Bye week* The Seahawks feel like they should be higher on this list, but they’ve only played 4 games and their poor outings against Miami and Los Angeles makes me hesitate to put them much higher.

9. Eagles
  • My other upset pick of the week, the Eagles came out flat as they were beaten by the 1-3 Lions in a close game. Stafford didn’t throw for a ton of yards but he was unstoppable in the redzone as the Lions scored 3 early touchdowns. Carson Wentz still had a very good day despite throwing the first interception of his career on a 50/50 ball. The Eagles are still a good team but their 14 penalties for 111 yards has to be a concern.

10. Bills
  • Rex Ryan’s Bills are impressing right now and they could be on their way to their first playoff appearance this millennium.

11. Raiders
  • The Raiders are (somehow) 4-1 and 1st in the AFC West. Their offense is good enough to win close shootouts each week, but their poor defense will eventually catch up with them when they start playing better teams.

12. Bengals
  • The Bengals suddenly find themselves with a losing record 5 weeks in after an embarrassing showing against the Cowboys. The good news is that all 3 of their losses have come against top teams(PIT, DAL, DEN). The bad news is that their next game is on the road against a Tom Brady-led Patriots. If the Bengals fall to 2-4, they will need to rally hard in November and December to earn a playoff spot. If they miss the playoffs, maybe the Bengals front office will finally have an excuse to fire Marvin Lewis.

13. Cardinals
  • The Cardinals avoided the same fate as Carolina by defeating a weak divisional rival in primetime on Thursday night. Things still don’t look quite right in Arizona, but David Johnson looks like one of the best backs in the league right now.

14. Chiefs
  • *Bye week*

15. Redskins
  • The Redskins found a win, but it was practically given to them thanks to playcalling so bad by Ravens OC Marc Tretsman that it got him fired the very next day. If they want to beat the Eagles next week, it won’t come so easy.

16. Ravens
  • After losing at home to the Redskins and only 10 points to show for it, the Ravens fired OC Mark Tretsman on Monday. They aren’t afraid to make big changes to save this season from going any worse after starting 3-0.

17. Rams
  • The Rams came back down to earth after their improbable 3-game winning streak that included the Seahawks and Cardinals. The Rams have not had a winning season since 2003.

18. Giants
  • The Giants didn’t look much better than they did against Minnesota, but at least they managed to get a couple of takeaways, bringing up their season total to a measly 3.

19. Jets
  • The Jets’ woes continue even if Ryan Fitzpatrick didn’t throw any interceptions on Sunday. After barely missing the playoffs in 2015 with a 10-6 record, prospects don’t look any better for 2016. They will have to capitalize on the soft part of their schedule coming up if they want to compete for a wildcard spot.

20. Lions
  • I still don’t see Detroit as a playoff team, but they have the talent to become competent while Stafford is still in his prime.

21. Buccaneers
  • The Buccaneers snatched victory from the jaws of defeat in an ugly game that included two crucial field goal misses. How did this team beat Atlanta in Week 1?

22. Panthers
  • C̶a̶r̶o̶l̶i̶n̶a̶’̶s̶ ̶s̶e̶a̶s̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶n̶o̶w̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶C̶a̶m̶ ̶N̶e̶w̶t̶o̶n̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶g̶o̶o̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶P̶a̶n̶t̶h̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶e̶n̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶i̶r̶ ̶2̶0̶1̶5̶ ̶s̶e̶l̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶g̶a̶i̶n̶. That blurb that I wrote midway through the 3rd quarter of the Monday night game is irrelevant now. The Panthers really blew it with their late turnovers and are in jeopardy of missing the playoffs after going 15-1 one season ago.

23. Texans
  • The Brock Osweiler deal is looking like one of the worst free agent signings in recent history. How do you miss a wide open receiver on a screen pass? The Texans couldn’t come close to competing with the league’s best, and losing JJ Watt doesn’t help their chances down the road.

24. Colts

Playoffs? Don’t talk about playoffs! Normally I wouldn’t about a team like this, but considering their division, the Colts’ win against the Bears still keeps them alive in the AFC South race. Who knows how many games they would win without Andrew Luck.

25. Titans
  • The Titans’ week 2 win over Detroit seemed like an upset at the time, but they’ve played each of their opponents relatively close so far. Look for the Titans as the season goes on, they might steal this division this year.

26. Jaguars
  • *Bye week* At least I don’t have to write about 4 AFC South teams this week, right?

27. Chargers
  • The Chargers cannot close out a game to save their life.4th quarter turnovers have killed them, and coaching is partially to blame. Mike McCoy’s time in San Diego is limited.

28. Browns
  • The Browns are 0-5, and to many who haven’t seen them play, it may seem like just another bad Browns team. Yes they are bad, but they’ve shown more to me than the likes of San Francisco and Miami have this season, which is why I have them up at 28. The Browns have gone through a quarterback merry-go-round this season, but they have weapons on offense like Isaiah Crowell and QB/WR hybrid Terrelle Pryor. Had RG3 stayed healthy, they could have had a pretty fun offense to watch. Hue Jackson could have the Browns headed in the right direction for the future.

29. Bears
  • Hoyer is playing surprisingly well in relief of Cutler, but there are too many holes on the Bears’ team for them to be competitive right now.

30. Saints
  • *Bye week*

31. 49ers
  • Neither team looked good but the 49ers showed they are the “team to be beaten” in the NFC. After posting a blowout in Week 1, they find themselves at 1-4
(sound familiar?). Kaepernick has been making headlines from the sideline already, and he will be under heavy scrutiny in his first start of 2016.

32. Dolphins
  • The Dolphins are just bad. Adam Gase has not been a good head coach so far. Miami might be the worst team in the league this year.

Sorry about the poor formatting for the Colts and 49ers. BBCode apparently doesn't like embedding tags within "list" elements. If someone knows a workaround, let me know.

Hoyer is gonna play a slightly competent defense and get rocked, probably.

I wanna see him go up against a better front, but Jordan Howard definitely deserves some more love.

Happy to say that I got both of my upset picks correct last week, and 10-3 overall.

Here are my picks for week 6:

Den @ SD
SF @ Buf
Jax @ Chi
LA @ Det
Pit @ Mia
Cin @ NE
Car @ NO
Bal @ NYG
Cle @ Ten
Phi @ Was
KC @ Oak
Dal @ GB
Atl @ Sea
Ind @ Hou
NYJ @ Ari

My upset pick of the week is San Diego over Denver.

I'm starting to feel some doubts about Denver as a team. Looking back at their schedule, their wins have been very soft considering how poor Carolina and Cincinnati have been. The defense might be starting to show its age and Atlanta exposed some weaknesses last week. The Chargers on the other hand could be 4-1 but somehow managed to throw away several double-digit leads in the 4th quarter. If they can close a game out for once, they have a chance. 26-22 San Diego.

I'm also picking Dallas over Green Bay, but I don't really consider this an upset despite the betting odds. I think Ezekiel Elliott will be the first running back to break through the Packers' run D. I also predict Atlanta to put up another good performance against a solid defense in Seattle.

Went 10-5 in my picks last week, 20-8 overall now.

Here are my week 7 picks:

Bears @ Packers
Giants @ Rams
Saints @ Chiefs
Vikings @ Eagles
Colts @ Titans
Bills @ Dolphins
Redskins @ Lions
Browns @ Bengals
Raiders @ Jaguars
Ravens @ Jets
Chargers @ Falcons
Buccaneers @ 49ers
Patriots @ Steelers
Seahawks @ Cardinals
Texans @ Broncos

KPH2293 said:
http://nflschedule2016.net/ (if anybody has a better schedule page, feel free to post it)

The season starts soon, and I figured I would start this since we had a 2015 version of this thread.

Free Brady!
GET FUCKED KPH WE SHUT YOU OUT
GO BILLS

Only went 6-8 last week, bringing my total to 26-16 (62%).

My picks for week 8:

Jaguars @ Titans
Redskins @ Bengals
Patriots @ Bills
Cardinals @ Panthers
Jets @ Browns
Lions @ Texans
Chiefs @ Colts
Seahawks @ Saints
Raiders @ Buccaneers
Chargers @ Broncos
Packers @ Falcons
Eagles @ Cowboys
Vikings @ Bears

Aoi Asahina said:
are the vikings good?

are the lions bad?

?????????????????????

Let's just say that most of the NFC North is mediocre right now. But hey, I'll take practically tied for first heading into the Bye week halfway through the Season.

I thought coming into the season the NFC North could be one of the better divisions and now we look like the nfc south of 2014.

I'm still convinced that we'd at least be 4-4 if we were consistently healthy, tho.

Hobbes said:
Hobbes said:
oh my poochy what if we WIN THE SUPER BOWL
WHAT IF WE ACTUALLY DO :O

I could see the Raiders in the playoffs, but I think anyone can run the ball all over the Broncos at this rate.

Yeah, my realistic expectation is that we make it to the playoffs. Comparing our schedule to the Chiefs' and the Broncos', I could definitely see us finishing first or tied for first. Possibly going 5-2 in our remaining games (the Chiefs and Texans worry me the most), and finishing 12-4 on the season (which would be freaking amazing). My guess for KC would be 6-2 the rest of the season (Carolina, TB, Tennessee and SD should be relatively easy wins for the Chiefs), which would also leave them at 12-4. As for the Broncos, I'm going with either 3-4 or 4-3, which at best would leave them at 10-6. So yeah, my guess is that the biggest threat in the division this year will be the Chiefs.

So the best teams right now are probably the Falcons, Pats, Cowboys and Raiders?

Raiders vs Falcons would be a fun shootout to watch.

Also what the hell is going on in this game rn

edit: bills got hosed

Oh did week 2 happen? I wasn't aware that anything football-related that week. Especially not a Monday night game.

I will say tho, it's probably not a good thing that they've only beaten one team with a winning record.

Back