Laptop Update Issue

Duskull

Star Spirit
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
My laptop runs Windows 8 and when it went to update to Windows 8.1 it failed. Now, every two days it tries to update to it again, but every time it does so, it fails again. To do this update it has to restart my laptop, and as a result of it failing it has to revert all the changes, so I'm left without use of my laptop for a few hours. Seeing as it always fails this update, I've come to the conclusion that it will never actually be able to do it, but I can't find anywhere for me to tell it not to do the update.

that sucks

if the issue persists i would recommend backing up your data and do a clean install of windows 8/8.1 (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media)

that probably fixes your problem although it can be time consuming to do a backup of your data

i did that with windows 10 recently and it fixed a lot of problems that persisted since i upgraded from windows 8.1 to it. I'm assuming the reason the upgrade fails is because something is blocking it from doing so and formatting the hard drive windows 8 is installed on and reinstalling it is almost guaranteed to rule out any problems of that sort.

Proceed with caution though because im not an expert, i can just say what worked for me.

Why is the update mandatory in the first place? For starters you can disable or restrict normal windows updates, and check the Windows Metro Store, the free update should be there, completely optional, it is better than the windows updates. Also can you elaborate on what part exactly the update fails on?

No idea why it's mandatory, but it forces the update on me without giving me any option to do it later.

I think it configures the update about 98% then fails, but I'll check next time it does it.

Back