Paper Mario: Color Splash

Here's my prediction: when this game comes out, it will get fairly positive reviews from critics even if the fandom pans it. I just know the way games like this work.

Zuko said:
Here's my prediction: when this game comes out, it will get fairly positive reviews from critics even if the fandom pans it. I just know the way games like this work.
That's how it seemed to work with Sticker Star at least.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam got some mixed reviews because of the whole "lack of OC" thing that the fans hate, so I'm not sure which way the critics will steer.

Zuko said:

Well, much of the vocal people are drama queens. I don't think Sticker Star should be panned, it's at worst a mediocre RPG.

This game actually looks pretty good. I've always loved games with this color/paint theme and it seems like Color Splash is going to pull that off really well.

As for the excessive salt levels in the PM fandom as always, idgi. I'm probably positive towards the newer games (especially SPM, ugh I love it so much) because I never played the older two and thus have no nostalgia towards them- even though if I did try them I'm sure I'd find them fun.

The reason why fans are panning these games is because the first two games had a distinct style and feel to them that they found very appealing, and they would like another game that fills the same niche. It is the same situation as with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. Fans liked the games in the Banjo-Kazooie series, but the direction was changed and those fans were now left with a void that the new games were unable to fill.

It has nothing to do with being "drama queens" or being "salty". Those are generalizations that make it easy to just disregard ALL counter-points to your own opinion, even the legitimate ones. The very simple fact is that there is a demand for a certain type of game, and nobody is currently catering to that. That's what's making people upset.

What the Paper Mario fandom probably needs is its own Yooka-Laylee-type thing: A game that caters to those left in the dust. That way the new fans can keep their new Paper Mario with the new direction, and the old fans can move on to greener pastures. Everyone wins.

Well at least that makes a bit more sense. I've just never felt that even once so I don't personally get how it feels but w/e.

Yes, I definitely recommend the first two, especially the first. It just has that classic Mario charm, you know what I mean? Every aspect of this game, when I saw it, made me think "Yes! This feels like a genuine honest to goodness Mario game!". The characters, the settings, they all feel like you could put them in any other Mario game and they would fit right in, which is kinda sad when you realize they don't use them again (with a few exceptions of course).

Magikrazy said:
which is kinda sad when you realize they don't use them again (with a few exceptions of course).

I have this exact beef with Mario & Luigi IF YOU COULDN'T TELL

Anyway yeah, I'll totally try the first two sometime. They do seem like really good games, and sometimes I wonder if I've really missed out by starting off with a game that most people seemed to hate. :-[

I've always liked the first two Paper Mario games and I'll always have contempt for Sticker Star and Color Splash as two of the most disappointing Mario games of all time, easily, but I still genuinely think that many people who were hugely disappointed with Sticker Star and Color Splash are letting their emotions do all the talking for them. In my opinion, the game doesn't deserve to be lumped among the worst games of all time, like the 1/10 or 2/10 games. Most disappointing, most definitely, but not the worst.

It's perfectly fine to dislike the overall direction of where Paper Mario is going, but absolutely despising it is another story. I'm not too educated on the Nuts and Bolts situation but I have a feeling it gets hated too much as well. I could be wrong though.

I've never tried Sticker Star but maybe some day I will. I've seen some footage of it and it's not as bad as what I heard been claimed about it. Though again, I don't know the full story of it, so eh.

I *could* talk about how bad the Mario Party series has become, but again, I still found some good in the latest Mario Party games. Actually, I think Mario Party 9 would have been even better than Mario Party 8 if it weren't for the single, central mechanic that killed everything. Same with Mario Party 10.

dude there are way worse rpgs

you fools are lucky mario isnt a whiney bitch that never fights for himself.

Or really terrible dialogue about courage being the magic that turns dreams into reality.

or getting a game that the developers thought the western audience are fucking stupid

like seriously sticker star isnt nowhere near as bad as you think it is

Samus Aran said:
or getting a game that the developers thought the western audience are *bleep*ing stupid

Which one is that, there are several.

Haven't played that one, any notable examples?

Mcmadness said:
Haven't played that one, any notable examples?

no depth at all, infact its the simplist rpg ever made, theres no real magic, skills, or classes, you can only have two max party, not a lot of commands other then attack and items, money is not useful since all your equipment is obtained via story, about the only thing you'll be buying is potions.

That makes M&L sound positively complex.

ProJared covered Mystic Quest in one of his videos:

It does a decent job at telling people what the game is like.

Anyway Zae, the argument of "there's worse" doesn't really mean all that much. Having your head trapped in a trash compactor is worse than eating stale mayonnaise. That doesn't make the latter an enjoyable experience.

maybe so but they're treating sticker star like its the ultimate weapon of depression.
it's not that bad people, and again its just one game.

Had the Mario vs Donkey Kong series receive a huge backlash when their gameplay direction continues to focus on the Minis, as opposed to focusing on Mario's unique platforming properties (such as shorter jumps, dying after falling from high up and using hammers as "invincibility")? I don't feel like there was, but then again, I don't think people have several avenues to comment on this in the older days to determine any heat that happened.

Thanks for reading.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong was never big to begin with, though I long for the day it's more like Donkey Kong (Game Boy). I played only a little bit of Mario vs. Donkey Kong for GBA, and I just want to see more of that and less of guide some clueless robots.

Dr. Alphys said:
Anyway Zae, the argument of "there's worse" doesn't really mean all that much. Having your head trapped in a trash compactor is worse than eating stale mayonnaise. That doesn't make the latter an enjoyable experience.
I don't think Zae is dismissing criticism of the game, but he certainly doesn't condone how a lot of Paper Mario fans simply overreact and give Sticker Star like 1/10 or 2/10's. I don't either.

Sticker Star isn't even horrible. I wouldn't compare it to stale mayonnaise. I think it's more like... an overripe banana. Still tastes very sweet, but it has a lot of flaws on it.

The stale mayonnaise thing was mostly there to debunk the "there's worse" argument, not to be a perfect stand-in for Sticker Star.

If we're going with the banana analogy (bananalogy), I would say Sticker Star is a banana where the seller decided that people who buy bananas don't actually like bananas, so they hollowed it out and then stuffed it full of plums.

Maybe you enjoy plums. If you can, more power to you, I won't hold it against you. But I also ask you to understand that when I buy a banana, I want to get an actual banana. And so do many other people.

Back