The 'Shroom's Holiday Super Mario Maker Challenge (results pending!)

GBA

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
XLights2.gif
XLights2.gif
XLights2.gif
XLights2.gif

THE 'SHROOM'S HOLIDAY SUPER MARIO MAKER CHALLENGE

Welcome to the first second annual Super Mario Maker contest hosted by The 'Shroom! If you've got a copy of Super Mario Maker, a creative mind, a working gamepad, and are still certifiably insane enough to join contests on a Mario forum, then this contest is for you. Because of the amazing response we got to our last Super Mario Maker contest, we're going out with bibbangs and hosting another one for our holiday issue!

Anyone who wants to participate can sign-up by posting a bolded message in this thread. You don't have to submit a level when you sign up, but you MUST provide your submission before the deadline, after which any sign-ups without submissions will be disqualified. (That didn't have to happen last time, so don't let it happen this time either!) Like last time, sign ups and submissions will be received right up until the deadline, so if you happen to receive Super Mario Maker for Christmas and wanna join in, you're more than welcome.

Be sure to read the rules thoroughly before signing up! :dk2:

Rules:
  • Entrants must create and submit a unique Super Mario Maker course that expresses the theme of the challenge. Courses will be judged on creativity, level design and relevance to the theme.
  • Per the theme of our Holiday issue, this challenge's theme is Donkey Kong. You can use whatever items and styles you like to express this theme.
  • The deadline for all submissions is the 11th of January, 2016.
  • A submission consists of: your Marioboards username, your course name and its course ID. This is to ensure we can access your level for judging, and gives us enough info to write about your level in the event that you win. A preview image—which can be obtained by posting the level to Miiverse—is optional, but much appreciated.
  • You only receive ONE entry, but you may change and improve your entry right until the deadline if you wish. Remember to update the Course ID in your submission if you alter/reupload your course, and be sure not to delete your course before the results of the contest have been announced! If your Course ID doesn't work when we go to judge it, your submission will be disqualified.
  • There will be a First Prize, Second Prize and Third Prize. As this contest is hosted by The 'Shroom, 'Shroom Tokens will be distributed to the winners. First place will receive 10 'Shroom Tokens, second place will receive 6 'Shroom Tokens, third place will receive 4 'Shroom Tokens, and all participants will receive 2 'Shroom Tokens by providing a valid submission.
  • Plagiarism, cheating and any other behaviour deemed unacceptable in any part of the community (Forums, IRC, Wiki, etc.) may result in your submission being disqualified and you being banned from future contests hosted by The 'Shroom.

Considering that this is only our second contest, we're still trying to gauge whether continuing these contests in the new year will be worthwhile or not, so please sign up! It's gonna be...
bananas :dk:

If your name is in limegreen, then I have received a valid submission from you and the last Course ID you've provided will be judged once the deadline is reached.

Sign-ups
  • Cowboy Guy
  • Magikrazy
  • NEXandGBX (Hosnowka Kosaka)
  • Gamefreak75
  • fantanoice (Santa)
  • The Pyro Guy
  • The Golden Yoshi
  • Meta Knight

Also, if anyone is concerned about this thread being in The Marioverse board instead of The 'Shroom Board, don't be. We're going to be moving this thread once we feel we've advertised the contest enough. it's like a party bus, only instead of a bus it's a forum thread and instead of a party you have me in a donkey kong costume

Re: The 'Shroom's Holiday Super Mario Maker Challenge (sign-ups open!)

fyi we're hoping to get more people involved this time to make it even more of a contest :luigi:

i might send out invites and such later
thread needs a sticky asap btw

I'll sign up but do we need to have the Donkey Kong costume?

Mix me in, too. Even if I don't end up getting SMM as a gift this year I'll probably just buy it with by Christmas money.

Magikrazy said:
I'll sign up but do we need to have the Donkey Kong costume?
nope, there's no required course elements for this particular challenge

A big part of the challenge is making the course Donkey Kong themed, so just sticking a Donkey Kong mystery suit in a regular old level and calling it a day isn't going to net you much on the creative aspect.

In fact, I'm sure there are plenty of ways to create a gr8 Donkey Kong-themed course without using the Donkey Kong costume, so don't think you have to base the whole course around that (and restrict yourself to the SMB style in the process) as well. be creative

not that i'm trying to deter people from using it if they have it, i'm just saying that there's plenty of options available

also huge thanks to everyone who's signed up so far!

i might be able to buy this before deadline, but if not : /

So wait is the level supposed to be christmasy dk or both?

Lord Vader said:
So wait is the level supposed to be christmasy dk or both?
just Donkey Kong (the character, not the game, so anything DK-related is fair game), but you can choose to be as creative as you like with that theme, and if you decide to make a Christmas-y DK level then just make sure it's creative and original :dk2:

Issue 105 is supposed to be Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze-themed so that's where the theme of this contest came from btw

I guess I'll throw my mask in the ring

yesss
also @stargazing I'll leave you unsigned for now just in case, but if you do manage to get the game in time then be sure to sign up officially :luigi:

Gotta get them back to back wins yo

My Donkey Kong amiibo will finally come to use

Do I post my submission here or do I PM you?

We had to PM it to GBAToad last time, so I'm assuming it's the same this time around.

wow we've already surpassed the number of sign-ups from the last contest within the first day, and i haven't even sent invites!

Raigh said:
We had to PM it to GBAToad last time, so I'm assuming it's the same this time around.
actually i don't think there was ever a rule which said you had to PM me your course, just people did anyway because they prefered to do it that way and i rolled with it.

but yes, if you want your course to be judged then you can either post your submission in here or PM it to me (if you'd rather keep your course a secret until judging). i've already received one course so things are definitely progressing much better than how they did in the last contest.

as a reminder, you are allowed to change your course submission right up until the deadline, as i will only judge the last course ID you send me. i know a few people made changes to their course in the last contest, so again, if you find an unintended shortcut or want to add more to your course then make sure you post/send me your updated submissions and ensure the last code you've given is for the level you want judged.

I haven't really played any Donkey Kong games before but I'll try to do some research and do something out of that.

reminder that we're still accepting sign-ups right up until the deadline !

if any of you people who got mario maker for christmas want an opportunity to test your newfound mario maker skillz, now's the time to sign up!

:dk:

There's only 9 days left until the deadline, be sure to submit your levels as soon as possible!

only 9 days

i'll have to resume my sessions of spamming blocks until i get the notification and then setting the time forward.

why do sub areas have to be the last to unlock :(

Back