Should Mario become photorealistic or go the photorealistic route?

Should he?

• Yes, it's about time Mario should move on from the cartoony style and have realism to keep up with m

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • No, the cartoony style is fine as is.

Votes: 41 89.1%
  • I don't care if it's cartoony or realistic.

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Peter Sam said:
BombermanActZero_USBOX_Mrated.jpg

Yeah, no.

And then comes the worst Mega Man incarnation to ever exist...

l_megaman01-620x.jpg

If this is what happened to Mega Man, I'd really hate to see what happens to the Mario Universe cast if they get that same treatment.

What are you talking about, Bad Box Art Megaman is amazing. I don't think they should give the BBA treatment to Mario becau- oh wait there is one.

1215287-cbsdonkeykong.jpg

So this is photorealistic Mario...

Xandalf said:
What are you talking about, Bad Box Art Megaman is amazing. I don't think they should give the BBA treatment to Mario becau- oh wait there is one.

That image can probably explain why we're better off seeing cartoon versions of the Mario characters, such as with the Donkey Kong poster below.

464px-DonkeyKongArcade.jpg

No it explains why photorealistic Mario is freakin' amazing.

Er, yeah! Mario's better off cartoonish... I guess.

Also, if you look at the Builder Mario's (whatever its called) artwork for Mario Maker you'll see a lot of detail on the gloves and eyes to make them look more realistic. I like it, it's detailed but still cartoonish.

Xandalf said:

He looks Spanish.

Xandalf said:
Also, if you look at the Builder Mario's (whatever its called) artwork for Mario Maker you'll see a lot of detail on the gloves and eyes to make them look more realistic. I like it, it's detailed but still cartoonish.

Well, yeah, I agree. There's a big distinction between detail and realism. Detail is just how complex and elaborate the picture is; realism is changing the art itself to look closer to "real life". You can increase the level of detail and fidelity while still having a stylized art design, which is what I gather most people here want.

Somewhat relevant Jimquisition.

Blue the Raptor said:
Realism kind of looks dumb in the first place.
That's why we play video games, to escape reality. Well, that's why some people play them.

I know that wasn't the point intended with your post.

Well having to use realistic settings doesn't necessarily mean it's dark and gritty. Many beautiful computer generated scenery is generated simply by observing how light behaves in reality (like rim-lighting for starters, the main reason Super Mario Galaxy looks beautiful by the way). Depth of field and bloom also help make a game look good.

I wouldn't mind Mario to try photorealism here and there, but he shouldn't become a photorealistic character. The fact that cartoony looks are more visually compelling to our brains than excessively detailed realism also make it unlikely from a marketing standpoint.

Real looking but heavily fantasized stages could be acceptable and interesting to see, but they'd need to remain colorful and vibrant.

Toad Eightyfive said:
Xandalf said:

Well, yeah, I agree. There's a big distinction between detail and realism. Detail is just how complex and elaborate the picture is; realism is changing the art itself to look closer to "real life". You can increase the level of detail and fidelity while still having a stylized art design, which is what I gather most people here want.

Somewhat relevant Jimquisition.
I just showed a video of Mario in the Unreal Engine. I mean, if Mario needs realism, this is realism that he should go after. He still retains his cartoony and appealing looks, but the lighting and rendering settings look more realistic. Of course, Mario himself is out of place a bit, but I like it for some reason. It would still look amazing.

I'll hate Nintendo forever if they went for a photorealistic Mario design and stuck with that though. I'm sure a lot of Mario fans will, too.

This is ultra photo-realistic. Your eyes cannot handle the awesome realism of this.

mario_sculpture__collage_by_claypita-d4ops1y.jpg

when a cartoony series decides to go realistic, it goes wrong 100% of the time

no

If Mario absolutely has to interact with the "real" world, they should just mix CG and live action like how some commercials do it (namely the Mario Party 9 one)

Mario_Profilepic.png

Are we sharing realistic Mario pics now? Ok.

tumblr_mw5i0fCFGL1qbyxr0o1_400.gif

This should be a game

Magikrazy said:
That would be pretty cool. Make it a QuickTime event game, like Dragon's Lair.

Or Shenmue.

Xandalf said:
Are we sharing realistic Mario pics now? Ok.

tumblr_mw5i0fCFGL1qbyxr0o1_400.gif

This should be a game

Looks like one of those lame endless runners.

It'll be a lame endless runner with style.

Speaking of runners, there should be a Mario platformer that adopts the Speedrunner style of mixing platforming with the item screw-ups of Mario Kart.

Of course, there's nothing that a cartoony style can't accomplish.

No it should be photorealistic solely for humor.

Well, as long as it doesn't take itself seriously and that cartoony Mario is also available, then I have no qualms.

Giving cartoony Mario as an option? That'd ruin the game.

But seriously, if they ever make a photorealistic Mario game it better only be for either one, awful game or one, awful sub-series.

Back