Super Mario Retold

Valerius Dover

Koopa Troopa
So, a while ago, I had come up with the idea to do a sprite series called Super Mario Dimensions. I ultimately abandoned the idea due to the fact that we felt like we were going a little overboard with the original characters, and that that would work better as its own thing without Mario elements.

Not wanting to abandon the Mario sprite series concept entirely, I eventually came up with the idea of doing a full series adaptation of the games, with changes made for plot and pacing purposes, along with a few new twists thrown in. I'm currently in the late planning stages as it is.

Super Mario Retold is essentially that it's a sprite based animation series adapting the story line of the games, starting with Donkey Kong. The story will have a larger emphasis on character over action. They will be a standard 24 minutes each, have full voiceover work, and a fully remastered soundtrack, with tracks corresponding to their respective Arcs.

There will be crossovers as well, as I have similar works planned for Sonic and Kirby, at the least. The first of these is the Galaxy Arc, the big storyline that everything will build up to. It's not the climax, but it has a similar tone to one. So far, that's as far as I've planned. 8)

My brother can animate and score, and I plan on learning these soon. However, this a huge and ambitious project, and far from a two-man job. We're looking for more animators, voice actors, and music arrangers. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be nice! ;D

This is all really exciting for me at the moment! I have a lot of fresh ideas for a big flowing narrative that I think will work for this series. I plan on addressing many inconsistencies present throughought the series and explaining them as well. Some Arcs will have considerably more story changes than others.

Well, I'm looking forward to starting official production!

And music remastering production has begun! It's going to be pre-prepared for use in Super Mario Retold. I wouldn't think of them as remixes, more so re-instrumentations. They remain faithful to the originals while still sounding different.

Super Mario Retold will cover everything from Donkey Kong to Yoshi's Safari, while the sequel will cover everything from Super Mario RPG to Super Paper Mario. Galaxy will follow that, which crosses over with Sonic and Kirby.

And here's a question. Which character do you think will narrate Super Mario Retold? :P

He's in it, but it's not him narrating. ;D

Another note, I've added more layers to the personalities of many boss characters in particular. I won't say much now, but I think you may find a few of them....interesting.

Can't wait to see the extra depths given to Pink Donkey Kong Junior, after taking into account the years he spent as a POW in the GAW. I bet it'll turn out that he's the criminal mastermind behind everything, and is also the narrator, but with voice modulation so it's a surprise.

Valerius Dover said:
So, a while ago, I had come up with the idea to do a sprite series called Super Mario Dimensions. I ultimately abandoned the idea due to the fact that we felt like we were going a little overboard with the original characters, and that that would work better as its own thing without Mario elements.

Not wanting to abandon the Mario sprite series concept entirely, I eventually came up with the idea of doing a full series adaptation of the games, with changes made for plot and pacing purposes, along with a few new twists thrown in. I'm currently in the late planning stages as it is.

Super Mario Retold is essentially that it's a sprite based animation series adapting the story line of the games, starting with Donkey Kong. The story will have a larger emphasis on character over action. They will be a standard 24 minutes each, have full voiceover work, and a fully remastered soundtrack, with tracks corresponding to their respective Arcs.

There will be crossovers as well, as I have similar works planned for Sonic and Kirby, at the least. The first of these is the Galaxy Arc, the big storyline that everything will build up to. It's not the climax, but it has a similar tone to one. So far, that's as far as I've planned. 8)

My brother can animate and score, and I plan on learning these soon. However, this a huge and ambitious project, and far from a two-man job. We're looking for more animators, voice actors, and music arrangers. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that'd be nice! ;D

This is all really exciting for me at the moment! I have a lot of fresh ideas for a big flowing narrative that I think will work for this series. I plan on addressing many inconsistencies present throughought the series and explaining them as well. Some Arcs will have considerably more story changes than others.

Well, I'm looking forward to starting official production!
I'm really looking foward to this!, great idea!

Toy Bonnie said:
I'm really looking foward to this!, great idea!

Glad to know you like this concept! Aside from the Galaxy crossover, which is the climactic (but not final) highpoint that everything builds up to, I've got three other Arcs in the Mario portion that I'm looking forward to doing the most. The adaptations of Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, and Super Paper Mario are going to be the most fun to do for me! ;D

Just so you guys know, this is not meant to be compared to something like Super Mario Bros. Z or any of those other flash series out there. Production-wise, the only thing that's active now is the music remastering. I'm still looking for a good place to gather up more members, so the other things will take time to get started, but once we do, we can get this out at a great pace with the plan I've set up! Artwork and logos will be up soon.

Another thing about the music, is that it will all be Arc-appropriate. Meaning, you won't hear Paper Mario tracks before the Star Rod Arc, and so on. However, tracks from earlier Arcs will be reused in later Arcs alongside the new material.

Any further questions are welcomed and encouraged! I'm also still taking ideas, even at this stage. I had forgotten about Pink Donkey Kong Jr. completely, so thanks for reminding me, Walkazo! I now have a storyline for him.

Back