Same sex marriage

i like how this is still considered a controversial topic, despite everyone having the same opinion

i doubt any sane person still considers being gay a thing of the devil, so i still don't understand why gay people don't have the same luxuries that straight people do. just let them get married, is that so bad?

Hoxton said:
i doubt any sane person still considers being gay a thing of the devil
it is clearly frowned upon in the christian bible

not that most people who call themselves christian actually read it

Javelin said:
Hoxton said:
don't give a shit, that's probably crap from the old testament anyway

i'm fairly certain that if there is a god, he's gonna be fucking cool with people so long as they don't kill, rape and steal

Javelin said:
Hoxton said:

the bible also condemns figs
I wonder how many Christians eat figs

Javelin said:
Hoxton said:

sadly, makes me kinda conflicted that homosexuality is considered a sin.

Zae Eildus said:
Javelin said:
Hoxton said:

sadly, makes me kinda conflicted that homosexuality is considered a sin.
It is according to the Bible.

is homosexuality actually mentioned in Bible outside that one verse in Leviticus that was basically nullified (along with the other Old Testament laws) in Acts? I can't find any other mention of it.

Edea Lee said:
is homosexuality actually mentioned in Bible outside that one verse in Leviticus that was basically nullified (along with the other Old Testament laws) in Acts? I can't find any other mention of it.
I don't really know. I don't really care either. I think there was like some sort of story in Genesis but that's all to my knowledge without Googling.

Edea Lee said:

in the king james version its mentioned quite a chunk, dunno about other versions.

People say god doesnt hate homosexuals but hates sin?

Still confusing to me and having to repent for your sexual interests sounds a bit unfair too.

Edea Lee said:
[quote author=Revelation 22:14-15]14 How blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they have the right to eat from the Tree of Life and go through the gates into the city! 15 Outside are the homosexuals, those involved with the occult and with drugs, the sexually immoral, murderers, idol-worshippers, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.[/quote]
while most other children were bored in church, i spent my time actually reading the bible because it was always more interesting than what the teachers were talking about

edit: also keep in mind that it varies between translations a bit. for example the niv (most common modern version) doesn't mention homosexuality at all
[quote author=same passage from the NIV]14 “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.[/quote]

interesting, not sure how I missed that when I read Revelation the other week lol.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ashford01.htm

Thought this was an interesting interpretation of views on homosexuality in the Bible.

Also, as a Christian quite frankly I don't think God gives a shit if you're gay or not. I don't think when Elton John dies God's going to go "You've devoted large portions of your wealth to charity, but you've bummed another bloke down you go". As long as you live a moral life, I think you'll get into Heaven.

Edea Lee said:
interesting, not sure how I missed that when I read Revelation the other week lol.
Javelin said:
edit: also keep in mind that it varies between translations a bit.

Uncle Deadly said:
As long as you live a moral life, I think you'll get into Heaven.
so how do you explain stuff like "i am the way and the truth and the light; no one comes to the father except through me"

Javelin said:
so how do you explain stuff like "i am the way and the truth and the light; no one comes to the father except through me"
My views on Christianity are probably different from others. To me that quote says that Jesus decides who gets in, so if you live a moral life in his eyes then you get in, and I don't see how being gay is immoral in the eyes of a person who taught others that they should love and accept.

Giga12 said:
marijuana should be legal
I agree that marijuana should be legalized, however:

Giga12 said:
because alcohol is.
I don't feel that's a good reason to have marijuana legalized. Both marijuana and alcohol are bad for you.

Giga12 said:
Being high is pretty much the exact same as being drunk.
No it's not. Alcohol is a depressant and marijuana is a psychedelic.

[quote author=thread][gay marriage should be legal/illegal because my religions says so / says not][/quote]
What's confusing to me is why religion is relevant to United States political discussion when we're supposed to have a separation of church and state.

Javelin said:
Hoxton said:

You know what else is in the bible? (ftr, this is not aimed at you Javelin, just to people that look only at that one quote about sexuality in the book)

"When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”" - John 8:7

"“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”" Exodus 20:17

So even if Homosexuality is considered a "sin" (even though I don't think it was clearly condemned as such), it doesn't mean that we should judge, and not to mention that it was a different time, and it's not like the Bible was written by god himself (plus I remember hearing something about how it could have been stated in order to push people away from the same sex so that people can procreate, but don't quote me on that). I just know that it I was taught that if you believe in Jesus and accept that he died on the cross for our sins and believe in god and everything, that you'll be accepted in heaven (sorry to to get a little religious about that...). I just forgot that it says that you need to be heterosexual in order to be, even if you are homosexual and you are a christian.

I mean, there is one thing that was outlined directly on the 10 commandments:

"“You shall not commit adultery." Exodus 20:14

And of course, a lot of people nowadays are doing just that; not being loyal to their partner and cheating on them with another person, if not more! And yet it doesn't seem like they are directly condemned, but more of a social norm that is just "well, he/she cheated, it happens, divorce them/work things out/forgive them", which is really sad.

It's really sad that Same Sex Marriage is such a political thing, when it should just be based on if people love each other. I mean, people that don't even know each other can get married in vegas, but people that have loved each other and have dated for 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, etc. can't even be allowed to in my state? It's sad that people see this topic and get political about it. It's not like homosexuality somehow makes someone less than a human being. It's not like as soon as it becomes illegal everyone will have to do it, that you'll be forced to go to one, that you'll have to see them happen all the time.

No; even if you are against it, don't judge them for what those people do with their lives. There's a whole palette of things that those naysayers can complain about instead if they really want to complain about something like, I dunno...the enivornment? Corruption? Education and how much college costs?

I do hope that more and more states will do this until it is complete. I would love to see a lot of my friends get married in my state, no matter who they marry, and I would love to be at that wedding and see them happy. Just because I don't feel that way about someone doesn't mean it isn't right.

@Mason: It's because 77% of America is Christian, and a lot of people that are making these decisions are religious and while it technically is supposed to separation of church and state, it still will be a bit subjective around some political spots that may have to deal with things either directly or indirectly relating to that.

Honestly, there's a lot of things wrong with this country. I just wish that the majority of people in it will realize that instead of pretending that it's so awesome (I mean, it's a great country and I'm proud to live in it, but by god, it's not perfect and tons of things are still needed to be fixed that a lot of people seem to think are already fixed from before).

the consititution just states that the federal government cant establish an official religion

Puddink said:
What's confusing to me is why religion is relevant to United States political discussion when we're supposed to have a separation of church and state.
because as far as republicans are concerned, the united states was founded upon the christian religion (despite things like treaty of tripoli, which straight up says "As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion")

Is it illegal to commit adultery? no
Is it illegal to dishonor your parents? no
Is it illegal to bear engraved images? no
Is it illegal to steal? yes, actually

Javelin said:
Edea Lee said:
[quote author=Revelation 22:14-15]14 How blessed are those who wash their robes, so that they have the right to eat from the Tree of Life and go through the gates into the city! 15 Outside are the homosexuals, those involved with the occult and with drugs, the sexually immoral, murderers, idol-worshippers, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.
while most other children were bored in church, i spent my time actually reading the bible because it was always more interesting than what the teachers were talking about

edit: also keep in mind that it varies between translations a bit. for example the niv (most common modern version) doesn't mention homosexuality at all
[quote author=same passage from the NIV]14 “Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. 15 Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.[/quote]
[/quote]

Seems like God doesn't like Duck Hunt or Robin.

Back