Competitive Super Smash Bros.

u srs

Chillin has no chance.

That seems to be the popular way of going about it.

Me, no. Leffen all the way. First he conquers BEAST, next he conquers Apex. ZIPLIFE

im worried about M2K because his Marth rocks Leffen

Nysic said:
I still find it hard to believe that Yoshi is top-tier material in this game

because down air priority, good aerial moves, shield-jumping, less wonky hurtboxes, and better moves overall

Maki Nishikino said:
That seems to be the popular way of going about it.

Me, no. Leffen all the way. First he conquers BEAST, next he conquers Apex. ZIPLIFE

im worried about M2K because his Marth rocks Leffen
I'll be cheering for my boy PPMD. Back to back Apex champ, let's go.

Nysic said:
I still find it hard to believe that Yoshi is top-tier material in this game
Honestly if Yoshi had a default shield in Brawl (being able to jump, do aerials, Up-B and U-Smash out of shield and not having a laggy shield drop), he would've been high tier (I'd say around where ZSS is?), borderline at the least, as opposed to being lower mid tier. His abnormal shield is what kept him down in Melee & Brawl.

Having great mobility both on the ground and the air, creating mindgames with his grabs (both his standard B and actual grab), having a decent and flexible recovery, good KO options (yay for D-Smash actually doing something now compared to Brawl's) and being blessed with a normal shield (actually even better than the rest because he doesn't have to worry about being shieldstabbed since it technically doesn't shrink) gave him the tools necessary. I still think he has an issue if he's above his opponent because Down Air and Yoshi-Bomb are rather laggy and Egg Rollolol is still iffy (but it least it doesn't leave him helpless if used in midair), but other then that he's a pretty damn solid character.

(Oh it turns out I just overlooked what Baby Luigi said about him)

As for Ness, while I don't think he deserves to be up THAT high, I think it's more so passive buffs that work for him as opposed to his actual moveset changes (I'm gonna disregard customs cause I haven't even unlocked them all yet).

His Tilts overall aren't too good (F-Tilt was nerfed and barely even KOs reliably anymore, U-Tilt has nerfed horizontal range, D-Tilt is still iffy). His aerial game is still solid, but I HATE the D-Air nerf so much. The spike hitbox is really weird and is very strict; this also means the sweetspot and sourspot are based on position as opposed to timing in Brawl's. Even the sourspot isn't so great anymore (I literally KO'd someone with the Dair sourspot from 55% in Brawl [at 19:55]). The landing lag on it sucks too.

His Smashes hit solidly now, but F-Smash's hitbox seems to have been nerfed in range and I despise the fact how Yo-Yos no longer hit while charging, in addition to having a bit more ending lag. Reflectors in general have been buffed greatly; reflected ones travel at a much quicker speed and reflect directly opposite, as in a projectile falling straight down can be reflected back straight up (I did so to Pac Man once :p). The reflecting thing is an example of a passive buff.

His grabs are still great and its range is decent; B-Throw is still deadly, while D-Throw helps setup combos (as many Ness players do D-Throw > F-air > F-air or other mix-ups or even this hell of a combo) and the other 2 can be used for putting your opponent in a position to be edgeguarded or juggled. Airdodging to the ground can be punished as you have landing lag if you try to do so, so chances are you can get the aerials in, or juggle with PK Thunder mindgames.

Speaking of PK Thunder, the move got better thanks to a bigger hitbox, and it goes through your opponents when you initially use it, so you don't have to worry about them being a meatshield to it as you recover right away. You can also input another PKT if you rebound off of the stage (generally the right side; for some reason, bouncing off of the left usually doesn't allow you) and try to launch yourself once again (and only once again). Also, thanks to new ledge mechanics (no edgehogging), he can aim directly for the ledge now without fear of getting edgehogged (admittedly PKT can still be tricky though). He also no longer fears stages with walls as he recovers (I look at you Yoshi's Island from Brawl).

PK Fire is more difficult to escape due to actual hitstun (I have had players manage to hit me or shield when they seem to be trapped though) and PK Flash is kind of useful now for having such an intimidation factor. PSI Magnet unfortunately can't stall your descent and has this awkward momentum altering period if you try using as you (double) jump, which is kind of annoying considering I like doing a short hop then putting it up, but that often makes me fly over the projectile I try to absorb instead. Its lag has been reduced, although it's annoying you can't roll forward from it right after you absorb something. Being able to absorb most explosives now is a boost (Toon Link's Bombs, Sheik's Vanish, Diddy's Barrel Rocket Explosion and hell even the impact of the explosion from Charizard's Flare Blitz are some examples) . To be fair I guess the explosion from Charizard's Flare Blitz isn't practical in a 1v1 though. :p

...And I rambled on longer than I should've. XD

Back